By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - XBOB Slim: Do not move console when disc is in motion

What are you talking about?  They weren't destroyed...?

Im saying that maybe this video is not indicitive of what normally happens when you move an xbox?

Around the Network
Man said:

What are you talking about?  They weren't destroyed...?

Im saying that maybe this video is not indicitive of what normally happens when you move an xbox?

no, this is a new xbox. Apparently, the new xbox slim has a label urging you not to move the console while a game is inside. In the video, he lifts it up about 45 degrees and it starts thrashing itself and ruined the disc.

Everyone here is saying that nobody moves their consoles while a game is inside, ever. You provided a real life scenario in which you did move your console, albeit by accident.

Had you owned one of these new models, the games inside would have been trashed.

You are the case in point good Man!~

oh i see.  So your saying they've changed something in this new one to make it unable to move at all really?

I didnt realise there was a difference in the drives between the normal 360 and the slim.

I dont really know what they would've changed to make it less secure.  But you're right, if this new console scratches discs that easily then there's a serious problem.

Ok this was a problem with the original so why is it news...and why is it such a big deal now but wasn't a big deal before, I'm sorry but there is good reason a lot of the XBOX fans smell BS on so many people "concerned" because most of us know this issue was already there to begin with...

-=Dew the disco dancing fo da Unco Graham=-

Grahamhsu said:

Ok this was a problem with the original so why is it news...and why is it such a big deal now but wasn't a big deal before, I'm sorry but there is good reason a lot of the XBOX fans smell BS on so many people "concerned" because most of us know this issue was already there to begin with...

If it already did that, fine. My friend has turned his xbox vertical and it's never done anything. Whatevs. I don't wanna be branded. This looked new and i feel your pain. Like when you see a friend get kicked in the nuts and your testicles ache just slightly because of it.

Around the Network
Scoobes said:
yo_john117 said:
Goddbless said:

This isn't news is it? All the 360s have done that since launch.

This....everybody should know don't move your 360 around when a disc is spinning around in it.

This is a re-design though. You'd think they would have fixed this design flaw in a re-design. As someone above said, it'd be pretty easy for kids to knock the console when playing on Kinect. At least (for MS) they've covered themselves legally with the label.

Why not fix the problem because unfortunately money is a limited resource, take this example

a. MSFT can spend 500,000 redesigning the system so people can move their consoles while a disc is spinning...

b. MSFT can spend that money publishing a game...

Personally I'd rather see choice B being taken.

I have heard in the past Microsoft has reimbursed games that were scratched from moved consoles, and there's also another solution the this, the 360 console doesn't need to spin the disc with the full install to HD that lowers loading times, reduces pop-in, and makes your 360 quieter than either Wii or PS3. 

-=Dew the disco dancing fo da Unco Graham=-

dsister said:
theprof00 said:

That shit was scary. I've moved every single one of my systems with a game inside at one point or another. Freeing a cord from under it, plugging controllers in, checking the av cable. He didn't even shake the system but it made such a jarring sound..

If you have to move the 360 to plug or unplug a controller then you have a problem.

The 360 won't turn on if the av cables aren't plugged in. It would show you this:

lol, that reminds me of a funny story.  My friend had come over with his 360 and we hooked it up to my big tv I had just got.  He had already started playing and then we decided to hook it up with component cables instead of his composite ones.  And since I was used to being able to just unplug the A/V cables from all my other consoles and just unpluged it at the 360.  His console just seemed to die and I thought he was going to die after he saw those red lights.  He thought he had gotten RROD.  We just reset the machine and it was ok.  I just kept thinking, "WTF is up with that crap."  He did eventually get RROD, though.  Since then he's switched to the dark side (PS3).

Grahamhsu said:

didn't you read what thismeintiel wrote?

"... The point of a remodel is to fix flaws in your original design.  Not slap a sticker on the console and consider yourself covered...."

Sorry for bad English.

Squilliam said:

This isn't an issue unless.

A. Theres an earthquake whilst you're playing a game.

B. You're an idiot.

Why does Microsoft have to idiot proof their console again?

The console has a label warning not to change the orientation of the console while the drive is accessing data.

Apparently coffee cups labeled "Warning: contains hot liquid" are not enough for some people.

MS should have installed little rubber bumpers in the DVD drive though, even if for no other reason than the idiot factor.

Ahh Microsoft do you learn from any mistakes?