By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Why is'nt soccer more popular in America.

Scoobes said:
Kasz216 said:
makingmusic476 said:

I blame football.  Most people here favor football out of all the sports.  This leads to a smaller viewer base for other sports like Soccer, plus it means most good athletes end up playing football (or even basketball and baseball), thus making soccer less exciting than it is in other regions.

Nobody here goes to watch the New Orleans Storm, for example, because the team really isn't very good, especially compared to teams from other countries.  They probably play on the level of university teams from places like England.

There is no real reason that we can't have a top level Soccer team if the money was there.

Well, technically, the money is there already; just check David Beckham's salary, it's ridiculous.

The other problem is trying to get players to play in a "lesser" league initially. Money may help that, but it could also be career disaster for them. The big players want to be playing in the big matches which means Europe and Champions League football. Beckham went to LA Galaxy, yet when it came to selection time the England manager wouldn't play him as he was no longer playing regular football at the highest level. It took a loan spell at AC Milan before he got selected as a substitute (then he got injured but I digress).

Best bet might be to get some of the lesser known but rising stars from South America, Africa and Asia to play more football in the North, raise the standard gradually and then bring in some older and larger stars from Europe.

Well in the us the development of players is pretty much in HS and College teams, which are very restricted as to practice time and PT. We have the USL and the NASL(I guess they are merged into the USSF Division 2 Professional League ) but those are pretty worthless for young players to go into, better to go to college and get the free ride than play for that crap money. Their is the semi-pro usl development league that lasts over the course of a summer, so its not a very good at improving players.

As for young foreign players, the mls gets a few of them but they usually get called back to their home club teams after a season or two.  We do have many fine older players still in the MLS: Juan Pablo Angel, Freddie Ljungberg, David Beckham, joel lindpere etc... and it looks like thierry henry is going to join the RedBull after the World Cup.

Around the Network
Boutros said:

Soccer is for kids here.

That actually has some truth to it. I was listening to sports radio (As I usually do) and I found out that the term "Soccer Mom" comes from the fact that most mothers, especially in the northern section of the US don't allow thier children to play Football because they think it is dangerous and opt to have their kids play soccer instead.

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

Scoobes said:
hobbit said:
Kasz216 said:
makingmusic476 said:

I blame football.  Most people here favor football out of all the sports.  This leads to a smaller viewer base for other sports like Soccer, plus it means most good athletes end up playing football (or even basketball and baseball), thus making soccer less exciting than it is in other regions.

Nobody here goes to watch the New Orleans Storm, for example, because the team really isn't very good, especially compared to teams from other countries.  They probably play on the level of university teams from places like England.

There is no real reason that we can't have a top level Soccer team if the money was there.

I mean, while having physical freaks is good, it's usually the smaller guys who play well in Soccer.

I think it's just more a matter of the prestige being there and the economic benefits not being prevelevent until higschool and by then you've lost a lot of important time developing.  The MLS salaries aren't remotley similar to other salaries.

It'd be interesting if the US ever did become interested in Soccer though... and it's something the rest of Europe probably shouldn't want.

Truth is, if Americans got behind it, they'd probably outbuy  the Premier league on players or atleast a number of them shifting the best talent overseas and causing it to be played in the middle of the night.... and dragging down the champions league with it too since there isn't any American Champions league representation nor should their considering geography.

Central and South America may enjoy that though.

Actually there is a concacaf champions league.

How well do the US teams do in that?

pretty bad. Its the 3rd priority to the league and the open cup for them.

I wish soccer was more popular in America. Most Americans care more about Football (the American version):

Been away for a bit, but sneaking back in.

Gaming on: PS4, PC, 3DS. Got a Switch! Mainly to play Smash

mysticwolf said:

I wish soccer was more popular in America. Most Americans care more about Football (the American version):

thats not going to happen until we get kids playing it and getting their dads to watch it with them.

Around the Network
Scoobes said:
Kasz216 said:
ZenfoldorVGI said:

...and I wonder, if American football was an olympic sport, how well the foriegn teams would do against us, lol?

I'm pretty sure we're competitive in most sports, including soccer, basketball, baseball, hockey, and all of the other sports worldwide. I'm not sure if the entire rest of the world combined could form one team that could beat the Colts of the Saints.

That's not a dig on soccer, or any other sport, but we do have American football, and I'd love to see someone say they could do THAT better.

Eh, they may catch up if it ever catches on.  I mean look at Baseball.  Those South American teams are killers now a days.

American Football is way too complicated to be an international Sport though.

I mean the kind of playbooks you'd need to memorize?  Forget about it.

People call Soccer more technical then American Football... but most people would be quite shocked how complicated Football really is when it comes to management and styles and such.

It's probably the most complicated sport in the world when it comes to strategy.

The last major Soccer innovation was what?  Total Football?  Where the players can play more then one positon?

Every play in Football is like a chess move.  Well a very VIOLENT chess move anyway.  The adjustments you can make are staggering.

If this question was reversed and it asked "Why isn't American Football more popular in the rest of the world?" than I think you pretty much hit the nail on the head. Most big international games consist of fast paced or relatively constant action.

Instead, in American football, it's like watching a very violent version of chess, which in many ways provides a false pretence to the game as you see these giant and padded athletes, yet they only enter action for short bursts. The athletes paint a picture of a powerful, action-packed sport, yet that action is secondary to the devising of strategy.

By too complicated to be an International Sport...

I meant you could never have a World Cup of American Football.

There are too many Offensive and Defensive formations and plays to learn for National teams to exist along with regular teams.  I'm sure that's one reason it's not an Olympic sport.

Hell, depending on what system you run... it's COMPLETLY Different.

Like, a 4-3 Linebacker is built and serves a COMPLETELY different function then a 3-4 Lineback.  You can tell the difference just by looking at them height and weight wise.

With the World Cup, you can just take the best players in your country and have them play together as a team.

In American Football you would need to practically build two or more completely different defenses to decide which was best... and you'd be leaving a lot of your best at home just because it'd be impossible for them to work.

Offesnivly you'd need to find the right level of Long, Cutback and possesion receivers, you'd have to decide whether you wanted a catch passing RB or a pure rusher, a pass catching FB, Rushing FB, Blocker... or even no fullback.

Or a HB on the bench that you may want to run the Wildcat... or even a QB backup to run the Wildcat.

Pass Cathcing TEs or Receiving TEs?

On different teams, the different positions responsibilties vary so widely, it'd be near impossible to just use your best players... and you'd have to comit to a playstyle and the type of players you'd want EARLY and even then it would take forever to Drill in.

American Football isn't as forgiving of mistakes.  I mean lets be honest, despite being the best Soccer event around.  Worldcup Soccer isn't the best as far as purity of play.  That's the Premier League and Champions League.

Worldcup is behind in quality, but ahead because of the Drama.

With American football, it may end up being unwatchable in a "world cup" setting... and more resemble a game of pickup then a proffesional game.

hobbit said:
Kasz216 said:
makingmusic476 said:

I mean, while having physical freaks is good, it's usually the smaller guys who play well in Soccer.

I think it's just more a matter of the prestige being there and the economic benefits not being prevelevent until higschool and by then you've lost a lot of important time developing.  The MLS salaries aren't remotley similar to other salaries.

It'd be interesting if the US ever did become interested in Soccer though... and it's something the rest of Europe probably shouldn't want.

Truth is, if Americans got behind it, they'd probably outbuy  the Premier league on players or atleast a number of them shifting the best talent overseas and causing it to be played in the middle of the night.... and dragging down the champions league with it too since there isn't any American Champions league representation nor should their considering geography.

Actually there is a concacaf champions league.

No kidding?

I only watcht he Premier League myself.  I mean, it's the best league... and I don't have any hometown affiliation to any MLS team anyway.

pastro243 said:
Kasz216 said:
ZenfoldorVGI said:

...and I wonder, if American football was an olympic sport, how well the foriegn teams would do against us, lol?

I'm pretty sure we're competitive in most sports, including soccer, basketball, baseball, hockey, and all of the other sports worldwide. I'm not sure if the entire rest of the world combined could form one team that could beat the Colts of the Saints.

That's not a dig on soccer, or any other sport, but we do have American football, and I'd love to see someone say they could do THAT better.

Eh, they may catch up if it ever catches on.  I mean look at Baseball.  Those South American teams are killers now a days.

American Football is way too complicated to be an international Sport though.

I mean the kind of playbooks you'd need to memorize?  Forget about it.

People call Soccer more technical then American Football... but most people would be quite shocked how complicated Football really is when it comes to management and styles and such.

It's probably the most complicated sport in the world when it comes to strategy.

The last major Soccer innovation was what?  Total Football?  Where the players can play more then one positon?

Every play in Football is like a chess move.  Well a very VIOLENT chess move anyway.  The adjustments you can make are staggering.

Well, its easy to make a strategy when you stop so much. A friend called it the F1 but with traffic lights.

And I have a theory that Football/soccer is the most competitive sport since so much people play it and you need dedication to be good, there was a study I saw saying the difference between players that get pro and the ones that cant achieve it is that the ones that do play more than 9 hours a week since they are little kids.

Also, there are many tricks you can use/invent in football, just watch brazilian and other south american players, its a sport that gives you a lot of freedom.

I'm pretty sure that's the same with Basketball and Baseball as well.

Not American Football, but that's because it'd be child abuse to let them do that.

There is a lot of chances to use/invent yeah... but it's not as tactical or strategic.  It actually relies more on... well like you said.  Thinking on your feat.

That's more instinct then it is strategy.

pastro243 said:
Kasz216 said:
makingmusic476 said:

Well youve got Copa Libertadores and Concacaf Champions league(which is a joke).

I think, like someone said, you could have something like the mexican league, it isnt really good but pays well compared to other american leagues. Now, if you ask a player that wants to be good in south america, he will probably want to go to the argentinian or brazilian leagues, but money may take him to the mexican league.

I also think the mayor league soccer needs a second division to punish teams that suck, and Im not entirely sure USA could beat Premier league and Spanish league in money unless the goverment helped, you see spain isnt a very rich country but has clubs that are really wealthy. They can get lots of money because people will go to stadiums and everyone in the world wants to watch their leagues so they win a lot of money.

You'd be surprised....

Of the top 5 most valuable sports Franchises in the world.... 4 are American... 1st is Manchester which has huge debt problems.

If Soccer became the sport of choice... it's not hard to see those franchises being Soccer franchises.

7 of the Top 10 in general are American sports teams.   6 out of 10 are American Football teams... including... the Houston Texans.

The Houston Texans are signficant because it's only 7 years old... and it's worth more then all but Real Madrid, Arsenal and Manchester.

They're also 46-72.   Under .500, only 7 years old and they're one of the top 10 most valuable franchises in the world.  Also they're an American Football team, which means they're support is soley domestic.

Now consider if Soccer was popular here like the rest of the world... it would be Football, Baseball and Basketball combined.

Those theoretical franchises wealth would be dwarfing.  The pure size and economic base of America is just too staggering.   American franchises can gain value at breakneck speeds... and these are in leagues where they're way too rich owners are mostly forced to abide by a salary cap!

Given free reign like you do in Soccer... American teams would probably blitz and just try and "steal" talent wholesale.

Can't complain that someone isn't playing in a "top league" when half the entire premier league leaves.  Heck Americans would probably try and buy teams and move them pissing off the world even more.  Sports teams are like bragging rights for a decent part of America's super rich... and having a WINNING sports team?  Even better.  A lot of these owners in American sports are driven by ego and wanting to win... not profit and they got the pocketbooks to back it up.  That's why even baseball forces it's richer owners to pay it's poorer owners if they spend too much.  Otherwise the salaries would probably reach 50 million .  George Steinbrenner is insane.

oldschoolfool said:

http://www.mlive.com/sports/grand-rapids/index.ssf/2010/06/why_isnt_soccer_more_popular_i.html     ------link.   This is an interesting article on why soccer is'nt more popular in America. What do you think about this?

I dont know why its not popular in general.But.

One thing I know is they look like dumb pussy's When they are trying bait the ref to call penelties.

I can't watch it just on that fact alone. Its at that moment that i lose intrest and never want to watch

a bunch of pussy's baiting ref's like no real men with any respect for themself would ever do.

I think acting like this is viewed mostly as a loser's attitude. Winners walk it off.

You know the saying "Take it like a man"  Soccer players never hurd of this saying.