By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - I can't be on this site anymore

Rubang B said:
I run XP, and I did the install/uninstall Windows components thing to (hopefully) permanently remove Internet Explorer from my computer so I only use FireFox. It removed the QuickLanch icon, and any shortcuts to the program so I can't even open it if I want to.

Now the problem is... I'm only using FireFox, but my pop-ups will be in Internet Explorer magically somehow.

What is the best free anti-virus option available for XP? I don't want to have to run 5 adware programs and 5 anti-virus programs every time I start this sucker. Also, every time I reboot I open the Task Manager and I have to shut down about a billion autostarting programs I don't recognize, and I have no idea what they are, where they came from, or how to get rid of them for good.

I've heard good things about AVG however I cannot speak from experience (NOD32 user atm).

At least grab Ad-Aware though and have it do a deep scan.

Around the Network

Why are there even ads in this website? What is their true purpose? If I ever make a big website, I will never have any ads on it. There's this one ad on this website, some dumb Smiley ad, that keeps saying "Hello! Hello! Hello!" in a really, geeky voice, really, really, really irritates me. It literally reduced my number of visists to this website. Please, please, please replace with with another one. Ug!

NintendoTogepi said:

Everyone is saying they've gotten viruses and I think my parents would kill me if I got on a virus on this computer...

When I got a virus on the last computer (I still have no idea how, literally all I visited was a few websites, all of which official company websites) it was such a pain and took like half a year to get off.

Well, see ya guys...maybe if I get a Mac then I'll start coming back on.

If you truly want to eliminate viruses from your computer, than disconnect your Internet. That is the only way. Viruses are everywhere on the Internet, so you might as well keep coming back here, unless you want to disconnect your Internet. Also, you might not want to download anything from storage devices, onto your computer, if you completely want to eliminate the chances of getting your computer infected with a virus or two. Truth is, it's just not worth avoiding something as large, and grand, like the Internet. The entire world is full of viruses, and you cannot obscure yourself from it, unless you go to the moon. Yeah, the Internet is full of crap, but just avoid those advertisements, and don't download anything unless you really think it's safe.

a.l.e.x59 said:
Why are there even ads in this website? What is their true purpose? If I ever make a big website, I will never have any ads on it. There's this one ad on this website, some dumb Smiley ad, that keeps saying "Hello! Hello! Hello!" in a really, geeky voice, really, really, really irritates me. It literally reduced my number of visists to this website. Please, please, please replace with with another one. Ug!

1. Ads are there to pay for the site.

2. Adblock that ad. If you don't have adblock get it. 

My virus shield hasn't gone off from this site since the original hacker attacks. However, I've been getting occasional pup unders (is that what they're called?) on firefox that hijack my window and throw something at me telling em to download their anti spyware service or whatever. I don't get this on IE, however.

Tag - "No trolling on my watch!"

Around the Network

Stop whining.Just go.No one will miss you.Except for ... me.Cries & runs away.

Quality for Life

I only use firefox without any other ad blocking programs and i've never been infected. Maybe NOD32 is just TOO good? =P