By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - I can't be on this site anymore

Another possibility: Look at VMWare Player and the virtual appliances. You can create a computer within your computer, so if it gets infected, no problem, throw away the files and start new (often from a backup of the files). That's what I do at home to keep my system clean.

Around the Network
Smash_Brother said:
Buy a Mac.

They dual boot into windows now and when your windows partition becomes hopelessly virus infested, you can nuke the f*cker and reinstall it from the Mac side.

That's right.  It's perfectly acceptable to spend hundreds of dollars on a NEW computer just to visit this site.  As others have said, FireFox + Adblock = win.  Or, dual boot Linux.  Linux is FREE and doesn't need a whole new computer to run.

Final-Fan said:
It's funny. I normally use Firefox but I was plagued by the "Congrats free xxx" ads and recently some malicious popup ads that sometimes even killed my browser!

I switched to looking at this site in IE7 so that even if it crashed more often it wouldn't take all my other stuff with it, and ... NO ADS! It's been blissful silence ever since.

If Firefox isn't working, try IE7. If IE7 isn't working, try Firefox. In all honesty though, I doubt there are any viruses here. Adware =/= virus.
Firefox shouldn't be acting like that - you might want to check for viruses and/or do a Spybot Search & Destroy check.

On topic: Firefox + adblock plus + linux = near invincibility to viruses.

There was a time when this site was hit hard. But the only thing anyone has noticed recently is a pop up ad that asks to install something on your computer. As long as you don't say "sure why not!?" to random popups that ask you to install programs on your computer, you'll be fine kid.

I'm a mod, come to me if there's mod'n to do. 

Chrizum is the best thing to happen to the internet, Period.

Serves me right for challenging his sales predictions!

Bet with dsisister44: Red Steel 2 will sell 1 million within it's first 365 days of sales.

THREE WORDS : USE YOUR Wii:)

Quality for Life

Around the Network

What's a good free anti-virus program? I have NO PROTECTION. I'm living on the edge.

Favorite Companies: Nintendo, Blizzard, Valve.
Recent New Favorites: Grasshopper, Atlus. (R.I.P. Clover.)
Heroes/Homies: Shigeru Miyamoto, Gunpei Yokoi, Will Wright, Eric Chahi, Suda51, Brian Eno, David Bowie.
Haiku Group: Haiku Hell.
Nemeses: Snesboy, fkusumot. 
GameDaily Article that Interviewed Me: Console Defense Forces.

As long as you don't click on the ads (or their popups - just Alt-F4 them) you're fine.

Also, it's worth mentioning that a Mac isn't actually immune to malware. Mac viruses are almost never seen in the wild, and the only ones which have been seen required an ignorant user to enter an admin password, but that luck may not hold forever.

I work in the field of Mac technical support, and the only virus I've seen has been a harmless self-replicator which exploited Microsoft Word, but the Mac platform is definately getting more hacker attention lately than it's had in the past ten years from both white hats and black hats.

The best practices for keeping your computer secure are the same regardless of platform. You should use a secure and up to date web browser, such as Firefox with the aforementioned plug-ins, use a firewall, and be careful not to open suspicious files or click suspicious links. If you're ever prompted for your password, you'd better be opening an installer from a trusted source, otherwise close the window and delete the file.

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.

epsilon72 said:
Final-Fan said:
It's funny. I normally use Firefox but I was plagued by the "Congrats free xxx" ads and recently some malicious popup ads that sometimes even killed my browser!

I switched to looking at this site in IE7 so that even if it crashed more often it wouldn't take all my other stuff with it, and ... NO ADS! It's been blissful silence ever since.

If Firefox isn't working, try IE7. If IE7 isn't working, try Firefox. In all honesty though, I doubt there are any viruses here. Adware =/= virus.
Firefox shouldn't be acting like that - you might want to check for viruses and/or do a Spybot Search & Destroy check.
On topic: Firefox + adblock plus + linux = near invincibility to viruses.

Spybot, AVG, and Ad-Aware all gave me a clean bill of health quite recently, but I suppose I'll run them again. 

Tag (courtesy of fkusumot): "Please feel free -- nay, I encourage you -- to offer rebuttal."
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
My advice to fanboys: Brag about stuff that's true, not about stuff that's false. Predict stuff that's likely, not stuff that's unlikely. You will be happier, and we will be happier.

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Sen. Pat Moynihan
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
The old smileys: ; - ) : - ) : - ( : - P : - D : - # ( c ) ( k ) ( y ) If anyone knows the shortcut for , let me know!
I have the most epic death scene ever in VGChartz Mafia.  Thanks WordsofWisdom! 

I run XP, and I did the install/uninstall Windows components thing to (hopefully) permanently remove Internet Explorer from my computer so I only use FireFox. It removed the QuickLanch icon, and any shortcuts to the program so I can't even open it if I want to.

Now the problem is... I'm only using FireFox, but my pop-ups will be in Internet Explorer magically somehow.

What is the best free anti-virus option available for XP? I don't want to have to run 5 adware programs and 5 anti-virus programs every time I start this sucker. Also, every time I reboot I open the Task Manager and I have to shut down about a billion autostarting programs I don't recognize, and I have no idea what they are, where they came from, or how to get rid of them for good.

Favorite Companies: Nintendo, Blizzard, Valve.
Recent New Favorites: Grasshopper, Atlus. (R.I.P. Clover.)
Heroes/Homies: Shigeru Miyamoto, Gunpei Yokoi, Will Wright, Eric Chahi, Suda51, Brian Eno, David Bowie.
Haiku Group: Haiku Hell.
Nemeses: Snesboy, fkusumot. 
GameDaily Article that Interviewed Me: Console Defense Forces.