By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Why people are overestimating the Wii's life time sales

endurance said:
also if you want i could name some more games:
bully,nights,nitrobike,brothers in arms,sonic riders,rygar,samba de amigo,house of the dead2,3 return,kings story
these are just some games that were announced after the wiis succes

Also Fragile.

Around the Network
endurance said:
also i forgot to mention star wars the force unleashed

You forgot Shiren.

^yep even those games

HappySqurriel said:
PS-She said:
HappySqurriel said:

Don't forget that (pretty much) everyone praised Resident Evil 4: Wii Edition because of how much of an improvement the controll scheme was over the Gamecube version ...

Graphics are a part of it. Sound is another part of it. Even content (which depending on the type may not actually take up that much disk space) is a part of it. All of those could be better done on the PS3 with BluRay.

Aside from the Wii's IR controls, the system has nothing going for it. Pretty much everything that doesn't strictly depend on it could be better done on the PS3. I'm betting a lot of the IR stuff could be redone for a regular controller too.

Super Mario Galaxy may be a great game, but it is not great because it is on the Wii.

Generally speaking, a game is considered good or bad based on its core-gameplay experience; improved sound and graphics are nice but they do not make a game good. Certainly, the PS3 and XBox 360 can emulate some of the features of the Wiimote much like they have emulated a Keyboard-Mouse set up in FPS for years (read: Not Well).

Resident Evil 4 Wii edition was better than Resident Evil 4 because the Wii controls improved the core gameplay; Resident Evil 5 will likely just copy the core gameplay of Resident Evil 4 but improve the graphics, which means the game will not be improved.

I'm going to rant for a little bit so bear with me.

I generally hate the argument that improved graphics don't matter, because you know what?  They do. 

There's a reason that almost every review in the past 10 years has included graphics/looks on its scale.  I'll give you a clue, it's because it's important.  Everyone was fine with that until the Wii came around.  Now because the Wii is so shitty that it can't even render a pair of waffles in HD, suddenly graphics don't matter.  They're suddenly not an improvement. 

I'm sorry, but that's a lame argument.  It's akin to what you'd expect to hear out of a 7 year old.

Child 1:  You got an F on your Math test.  Ha ha!
Child 2:  Oh yeah, well... Math doesn't matter!

That's honestly what the "graphics aren't an improvement" argument and the people who repeat it sound like-7 year olds.  The argument itself is the retarded offspring of a bunch of fanboys trying to save their pride since their console sucks at making awesome graphics and represents little actual improvement in the graphic or sound area.

Keep using that argument though.  Save your pride.  Don't consider graphics an improvement.  I'll be enjoying my PS3 with its amazingly well rendered environments and the many breathtaking visual effects of its games.  Wii fans can enjoy their SMG complete with jaggies and a system so weak it can't even render Mario some shoe laces.

Bladeneo said:
Avinash_Tyagi said:
PS-She said:
Sri Lumpa said:

True, but conversely there will be plenty of games that can only be made in the Wii because of the Wiimote, or that would be much better with it. I am sure that if RE5 or another RE4 style RE game came to the Wii that it would be more successful than RE5 on either 360 or PS3 and possibly do better than both combined due to the superior controls (plus the RE series already proved itself on the Wii whereas it hasn't done so on the PS3 or 360).

More successful maybe, but a better game definitely not. For all the stuff the Wiimote does, the Wii is still a large step down from the PS3 or even the 360.

Not in terms of gameplay, just in terms of graphics, SMG is still the best game on any of the three consoles at the moment, not because of graphics, but because of gameplay

Personally, SMG isnt the best game on the 3 consoles. Its very good, but I was put off by its simplicity and how quickly the majority of levels seem to be finished.

If SMG was on the 360/PS3, it'd still be as good, but with superior graphics and sound. So while the "wiimote" adds all this innovation, its still a game that doesnt really invoke that much use of the Wiimote thats claimed to be the best. 

Your opinion that its not the best, however the ranking puts SMG just below OoT in terms of overall quality.

Actually the intention behind the short levels was of course due to the interest in allowigng the game to be accessible, and while the game doesn't us the Wiimote for everything, what it does use the Wiimote and motions controls for does work very well and comes across as very intuitive.  On the 360 and PS3 the graphics would be better, but the gameplay would be less intuitve and accessible, it would be overly complex controls and not as enjoyable, theprimitve controls of the 360 and PS3 would have marred the quality of the game

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

Around the Network
Avinash_Tyagi said:
Bladeneo said:
Avinash_Tyagi said:
PS-She said:
Sri Lumpa said:

True, but conversely there will be plenty of games that can only be made in the Wii because of the Wiimote, or that would be much better with it. I am sure that if RE5 or another RE4 style RE game came to the Wii that it would be more successful than RE5 on either 360 or PS3 and possibly do better than both combined due to the superior controls (plus the RE series already proved itself on the Wii whereas it hasn't done so on the PS3 or 360).

More successful maybe, but a better game definitely not. For all the stuff the Wiimote does, the Wii is still a large step down from the PS3 or even the 360.

Not in terms of gameplay, just in terms of graphics, SMG is still the best game on any of the three consoles at the moment, not because of graphics, but because of gameplay

Personally, SMG isnt the best game on the 3 consoles. Its very good, but I was put off by its simplicity and how quickly the majority of levels seem to be finished.

If SMG was on the 360/PS3, it'd still be as good, but with superior graphics and sound. So while the "wiimote" adds all this innovation, its still a game that doesnt really invoke that much use of the Wiimote thats claimed to be the best.

Your opinion that its not the best, however the ranking puts SMG just below OoT in terms of overall quality.

Actually the intention behind the short levels was of course due to the interest in allowigng the game to be accessible, and while the game doesn't us the Wiimote for everything, what it does use the Wiimote and motions controls for does work very well and comes across as very intuitive. On the 360 and PS3 the graphics would be better, but the gameplay would be less intuitve and accessible, it would be overly complex controls and not as enjoyable, theprimitve controls of the 360 and PS3 would have marred the quality of the game

I couldnt care less about the rankings, Its called MY OPINION. If i cared about the rankings Id have asked you to tell me them. 

No, the PS3 controls arent primitive. You can just as easily WAGGLE the PS3 sixaxis and get the same bloody results for a spin move. The wiimote was barely used at all, and it felt like nintendo went "We have to justify having a motion sensor, lets use it for this".

Short levels, to me, doesnt equal interest. But, as the Wii is for casual gamers we have to dumb down the game or little 7 year olds or 50 year olds wont be interested. I think SMG is a brilliant game, but I dont like the fact it lost potential to increase sales.

Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned for Sega. - Jason Lee, Mallrats.

http://theaveragejoe.sportsblognet.com/ - Mainly American Football, snippets of Basketball, European Football and Hockey. 

Yeah, even I have to agree that the waggle controls in Super Mario Galaxy weren't really needed.

PS-She said:

I generally hate the argument that improved graphics don't matter, because you know what? They do.

There's a reason that almost every review in the past 10 years has included graphics/looks on its scale. I'll give you a clue, it's because it's important. Everyone was fine with that until the Wii came around. Now because the Wii is so shitty that it can't even render a pair of waffles in HD, suddenly graphics don't matter. They're suddenly not an improvement.

I'm sorry, but that's a lame argument. It's akin to what you'd expect to hear out of a 7 year old.

Child 1: You got an F on your Math test. Ha ha!
Child 2: Oh yeah, well... Math doesn't matter!

That's honestly what the "graphics aren't an improvement" argument and the people who repeat it sound like-7 year olds. The argument itself is the retarded offspring of a bunch of fanboys trying to save their pride since their console sucks at making awesome graphics and represents little actual improvement in the graphic or sound area.

Keep using that argument though. Save your pride. Don't consider graphics an improvement. I'll be enjoying my PS3 with its amazingly well rendered environments and the many breathtaking visual effects of its games. Wii fans can enjoy their SMG complete with jaggies and a system so weak it can't even render Mario some shoe laces.

The DS says "What, graphics, me? lolz" Seriously, the best selling system with the most games has the worst graphics. So how does that fit into a sales discussion?

fkusumot said:
PS-She said:

I generally hate the argument that improved graphics don't matter, because you know what? They do.

There's a reason that almost every review in the past 10 years has included graphics/looks on its scale. I'll give you a clue, it's because it's important. Everyone was fine with that until the Wii came around. Now because the Wii is so shitty that it can't even render a pair of waffles in HD, suddenly graphics don't matter. They're suddenly not an improvement.

I'm sorry, but that's a lame argument. It's akin to what you'd expect to hear out of a 7 year old.

Child 1: You got an F on your Math test. Ha ha!
Child 2: Oh yeah, well... Math doesn't matter!

That's honestly what the "graphics aren't an improvement" argument and the people who repeat it sound like-7 year olds. The argument itself is the retarded offspring of a bunch of fanboys trying to save their pride since their console sucks at making awesome graphics and represents little actual improvement in the graphic or sound area.

Keep using that argument though. Save your pride. Don't consider graphics an improvement. I'll be enjoying my PS3 with its amazingly well rendered environments and the many breathtaking visual effects of its games. Wii fans can enjoy their SMG complete with jaggies and a system so weak it can't even render Mario some shoe laces.

The DS says "What, graphics, me? lolz" Seriously, the best selling system with the most games has the worst graphics. So how does that fit into a sales discussion?

I think you're in the wrong forum if you're looking for a sales discussion. Didn't I already tell you in another thread to make a right at Albuquerque? Geez you're bad at following directions.

graphics do matter but not compared to gameplay or controls, etc.

The best case to show graphics don't matter much is I can pick up my mario 64 and still have a better time playing that then lots of new games. If graphics mattered so much mario 64 shouldn't even compete to any new game.