By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Pacher Explains Why He Predicts WiiHD Believes Will Will Lose MarketShare

It's sad when you realize that there's still people that think that HD, playing movies,  Mp3 or those things are important in a VIDEOGAME console.

When would they realize is about games? Is about playing? Sigh... I'm losing faith =(

Around the Network
Garnett said:
jarrod said:
Garnett said:
jarrod said:
Garnett said:

Chances are Nintendo wont improve the online, because most of their customers dont care about online.

Why would the Wii HD, an Updated version of the Current gen Wii be cheaper? Its going to be more expensive.

As for the Media format,Nintendo goes with their own formats.

They'll improve online incrementally.  At the very least you can probably expect "system wide" friend codes, a decent chat solution and a Club Nintendo centered account/content migration path.  Probably a more expansive DD effort too, and more formats for the Virtual Console (Gamecube, Dreamcast, Saturn, 3DO, etc).

And Nintendo goes with Matsushita's media formats.  And at this point, Blu-ray is more theirs than Sony's even...

They need to do away with the friend codes, the Wii needs to have a mic, it needs some kind of hard drive, at least 5 gigs and as for Blu ray, sure the disc may be Bluray but it wont play Blu Ray movies which negates the move aspect of Blu Ray.

By the time Nintendo does all these things that i mentioned, or even the things youv mentioned, PS3 would of already done it.

I don't think they'll do away with FC entirely, though I do think they'll streamline the system next gen.  3DS will probably give us a good idea of where Wii2 is headed in terms of network infrastructure, transfer and security (though it'll have it's own unique additions, likely a 3G/whisper network).  

Wii2 won't have a HDD though and it probably won't play DVD/BRD movies.  And really it doesn't need either, they'll just add more flash (likely 2GB to 8GB) and use a custom BRD based format for games only.  Technology isn't what sells game systems, games do.  

They need to do away with the FC IMO, Its awful and way too complicated.

Trust me, Wii HD will have a HDD or a storage device, Nintendo learned that people will buy DLC for games, and Nintendos 50 million plus Wii owners would love to buy DLC. That and virtual games are gonna become more important.

Technology is what sells game systems, The technology inside the Wii mote sold the Wii, without the Wii mote the Wii wouldn't be anywhere. With better Wii mote technology developers can make better games and they will sell, thus opening up the "hardcore" market for Nintendo.

I think they'll just streamline FC, even if it's to the point where it's a glorified friends list.  Nintendo has a reputation to uphold with parents, they'll keep FC for PR cover even if they have to effectively neuter what they actually do.

Wii already offers storage, it's just not very much (512MB) though it is expandable via SD cards.  It'll be the same for Wii2, they'll just up the flash drive.  And Wii owners do buy digital, last year WiiWare VC outsold XBLA even.

What sold Wii was software.  Wii Sports is what really pushed they system with the masses, technology alone isn't what sells game systems, it's all about the implementation (ie: games).

Nintendo will have an HD system when the time is right. Plus its not just going to be HD, they will offer something else that has not been used yet, just like the Wii with motion controllers. It will have something that the other systems do not have.

richardhutnik said:

What Pachter does is say what investors want to hear, that fits what investors expect to happen, and then backs it up with information that makes it say it is right.  In this are provisos and other clarification points, that let him back out and blame the unexpected for things being so.

In other words, Pachter is a huge freaking weasel.

Not that it should come as a surprise to anyone.

Warning: The preceding message may or may not have included sarcasm, cynicism, irony, full stops, commas, slashes, words, letters, sentences, lines, quotes,  flaeed  gramar, cryptic metaphors or other means of annoying communication. Viewer discretion is/was strongly advised.

So... is Nintendo doomed or not?

Around the Network
Dazkarieh said:

So... is Nintendo doomed or not?

DOMED!!!!

Mise said:
richardhutnik said:

What Pachter does is say what investors want to hear, that fits what investors expect to happen, and then backs it up with information that makes it say it is right.  In this are provisos and other clarification points, that let him back out and blame the unexpected for things being so.

In other words, Pachter is a huge freaking weasel.

Not that it should come as a surprise to anyone.

What investors want to hear? Technically you can be an investor but it doesn't sound like that's what you want to hear.

Analysists only have so much information to go on, and they use that information to make their predictions. You don't have to agree with them.Actually you can always invest the opposite of what Patcher suggests if you disagree with him.

I don't understand why people have so much hate for Pachter.

Games4Fun said:
Garnett said:
lapsed_gamer said:
Garnett said:
Viper1 said:
Garnett said:
TheSource said:

When I argue about this with him, I just remind him that Nintendo is likely to announce the Wii successor for late 2011 / late 2012 to kill off any momentum Move might be building.

The fact of the matter is a Wii HD starts with a base of "0 Users" as does the PS3 Move base. So an HD Wii is 75-80m behind X360/PS3 if it releases in 2010, and the PS3 base for Move is going to be 75-80m behind Wii when it launches this year

By the time the Wii HD does come out, the PS3 would of already done everything the Wii HD does. (It only does everything!!!)

HD console = PS3

HD format = PS3

Good online service = PS3

Motion controls = PS3

The PS3 MOVE user base may start from Zero but remember, its gonna have a 2-3 year head start, and in 2-3 years the PS3 may be at 50 million plus, so  Move will be accessable to those 50 million current PS3 owners, and all for $100 or less. Compared to the Wii HD which will probably launch at $200-300 and without a decent online service and Blue Ray.

Nintendo is gonna have a problem if Sony decides to Bundle it with EVERY ps3, for one price.

Did you buy your crsytal ball from the same shady street vendor that Pacther did?

It's good to know that someone already knows the price, the online service and game medium for a console that Nintendo says is not even under consideration.

Chances are Nintendo wont improve the online, because most of their customers dont care about online.

Why would the Wii HD, an Updated version of the Current gen Wii be cheaper? Its going to be more expensive.

So... first Nintendo is in trouble because the PS3 has all these features, then Nintendo knows its audience so well that they won't bother. Which do you believe?

I never said Nintend is in trouble, nor the Wii. I am talking about their next system.

Online gaming may not be big now, but its gonna expand.

If the PS3 with motion controls does everything the Wii HD does then why buy the Wii HDD

Same reason most people buy a Nintendo console. Nintendo made games.

Believe it or not thats not why the Wii is where it is.

The Wii is HUGE because

1. They market to non gamers

2. Motion control are supposed to make gaming more fun

3. Wii games are more simple and easier to win ( at least Wii sports is)

Mario didnt sell the Wii, nor Zelda, but the casual simple games.

Garnett said:
Games4Fun said:
Garnett said:
lapsed_gamer said:
Garnett said:
Viper1 said:
Garnett said:
TheSource said:

When I argue about this with him, I just remind him that Nintendo is likely to announce the Wii successor for late 2011 / late 2012 to kill off any momentum Move might be building.

The fact of the matter is a Wii HD starts with a base of "0 Users" as does the PS3 Move base. So an HD Wii is 75-80m behind X360/PS3 if it releases in 2010, and the PS3 base for Move is going to be 75-80m behind Wii when it launches this year

By the time the Wii HD does come out, the PS3 would of already done everything the Wii HD does. (It only does everything!!!)

HD console = PS3

HD format = PS3

Good online service = PS3

Motion controls = PS3

The PS3 MOVE user base may start from Zero but remember, its gonna have a 2-3 year head start, and in 2-3 years the PS3 may be at 50 million plus, so  Move will be accessable to those 50 million current PS3 owners, and all for $100 or less. Compared to the Wii HD which will probably launch at $200-300 and without a decent online service and Blue Ray.

Nintendo is gonna have a problem if Sony decides to Bundle it with EVERY ps3, for one price.

Did you buy your crsytal ball from the same shady street vendor that Pacther did?

It's good to know that someone already knows the price, the online service and game medium for a console that Nintendo says is not even under consideration.

So... first Nintendo is in trouble because the PS3 has all these features, then Nintendo knows its audience so well that they won't bother. Which do you believe?

I never said Nintend is in trouble, nor the Wii. I am talking about their next system.

Online gaming may not be big now, but its gonna expand.

If the PS3 with motion controls does everything the Wii HD does then why buy the Wii HDD

Same reason most people buy a Nintendo console. Nintendo made games.

Believe it or not thats not why the Wii is where it is.

The Wii is HUGE because

1. They market to non gamers

2. Motion control are supposed to make gaming more fun

3. Wii games are more simple and easier to win ( at least Wii sports is)

Mario didnt sell the Wii, nor Zelda, but the casual simple games.

Agreed on the 2. But I never said Mario or Zelda I said Nintendo made games which are by far the biggest sales of the more relaxed simple to play games.

I watched the feature on GT, and while I completely disagree with him, he talks quite reasonably, not like the fanboy/troll many have made him be.

As for Wii losing marketshare to the Move, that's quite uncertain. It may even expand it more, due to big 3rd party multiplatform games poured over to the Wii.