By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Pacher Explains Why He Predicts WiiHD Believes Will Will Lose MarketShare

For what has seemed like years now, Wedbush analyst Michael Pachter has predicted that Nintendo will eventually announce a Wii HD. Nintendo has dismissed the idea on numerous occasions and has stated that a new system announcement would require more than just HD support. So, why does Pachter continue to believe that the Wii HD is on the way? He explained on the latest episode of Pach-Attack:

“…So I always thought Nintendo would respond to Natal and PS3 plus Move by having Wii HD ready when those two things launched. I’ve been wrong consistently and the reason I’ve been wrong is Nintendo doesn’t see the world the way I do. So the answer to your question why do I think it? Because it’s logical. The answer to your question, why hasn’t Nintendo done it? Because they don’t think it’s logical. And I don’t want to get in their heads, they are great business people, they run their company well, my view is this is something they should do.”

Pachter also noted that he thinks the Wii will lose some of its market share to the PS3/Move when a reasonably-priced bundle is announced. According to Pachter, Sony will be able to tell Wii owners that they can upgrade to an HD console that is being completely supported by publishers and contains additional features such as Blu-ray.

http://www.nintendoeverything.com/41183/

cant argue bout will losing marketshare i dont see wii HD till 2014

Play Me

Around the Network

Two words: Vitality Sensor.

When I argue about this with him, I just remind him that Nintendo is likely to announce the Wii successor for late 2011 / late 2012 to kill off any momentum Move might be building.

The fact of the matter is a Wii HD starts with a base of "0 Users" as does the PS3 Move base. So an HD Wii is 75-80m behind X360/PS3 if it releases in 2010, and the PS3 base for Move is going to be 75-80m behind Wii when it launches this year.

People are difficult to govern because they have too much knowledge.

When there are more laws, there are more criminals.

- Lao Tzu

So, he admits his view isn't the same as Nintendo's and Nintendo is really good at running its business. So, wouldn't that imply that if they don't think its the right time for a new console then he is simply wrong?

I don't why they still employ him. He's got to be one someone's payroll.

Who do you think is right: A large corperation which has taken the marketplace by storm or a guy who admits he is wrong a lot?

Around the Network
TheSource said:

When I argue about this with him, I just remind him that Nintendo is likely to announce the Wii successor for late 2011 / late 2012 to kill off any momentum Move might be building.

The fact of the matter is a Wii HD starts with a base of "0 Users" as does the PS3 Move base. So an HD Wii is 75-80m behind X360/PS3 if it releases in 2010, and the PS3 base for Move is going to be 75-80m behind Wii when it launches this year

By the time the Wii HD does come out, the PS3 would of already done everything the Wii HD does. (It only does everything!!!)

HD console = PS3

HD format = PS3

Good online service = PS3

Motion controls = PS3

The PS3 MOVE user base may start from Zero but remember, its gonna have a 2-3 year head start, and in 2-3 years the PS3 may be at 50 million plus, so  Move will be accessable to those 50 million current PS3 owners, and all for $100 or less. Compared to the Wii HD which will probably launch at $200-300 and without a decent online service and Blue Ray.

Nintendo is gonna have a problem if Sony decides to Bundle it with EVERY ps3, for one price.

The Wii sells because of Nintendo's software.  Neither Move nor Natal will have that, and thus will pose little threat to the Wii.  When will people realize this.

^MakingMusic: Exactly.

Bet between Slimbeast and Arius Dion about Wii sales 2009:

If the Wii sells less than 20 million in 2009 (as defined by VGC sales between week ending 3d Jan 2009 to week ending 4th Jan 2010) Slimebeast wins and get to control Arius Dion's sig for 1 month.

If the Wii sells more than 20 million in 2009 (as defined above) Arius Dion wins and gets to control Slimebeast's sig for 1 month.

Garnett said:
TheSource said:

The fact of the matter is a Wii HD starts with a base of "0 Users" as does the PS3 Move base. So an HD Wii is 75-80m behind X360/PS3 if it releases in 2010, and the PS3 base for Move is going to be 75-80m behind Wii when it launches this year

By the time the Wii HD does come out, the PS3 would of already done everything the Wii HD does. (It only does everything!!!)

HD console = PS3

HD format = PS3

Motion controls = PS3

The PS3 MOVE user base may start from Zero but remember, its gonna have a 2-3 year head start, and in 2-3 years the PS3 may be at 50 million plus, so  Move will be accessable to those 50 million current PS3 owners, and all for $100 or less. Compared to the Wii HD which will probably launch at $200-300 and without a decent online service and Blue Ray.

Nintendo is gonna have a problem if Sony decides to Bundle it with EVERY ps3, for one price.

Did you buy your crsytal ball from the same shady street vendor that Pacther did?

It's good to know that someone already knows the price, the online service and game medium for a console that Nintendo says is not even under consideration.

The rEVOLution is not being televised

Viper1 said:
Garnett said:
TheSource said:

HD console = PS3

HD format = PS3

Motion controls = PS3

Did you buy your crsytal ball from the same shady street vendor that Pacther did?

It's good to know that someone already knows the price, the online service and game medium for a console that Nintendo says is not even under consideration.

Chances are Nintendo wont improve the online, because most of their customers dont care about online.

Why would the Wii HD, an Updated version of the Current gen Wii be cheaper? Its going to be more expensive.

As for the Media format,Nintendo goes with their own formats.