By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Will Obama be re-elected in 2012?

Will Obama be re-elected in 2012?

Yes 111 37.00%

No 98 32.67%

Too early to call 79 26.33%

I don't know 12 4.00%

Total:300

Scottie's last point is quite significant here, and i think overlooked. For a sitting incumbent presiden to lose has taken major, major screwups on their part, or a temporary collapse of the existing political order. The only exception i can think of is the first John Adams, who while he did some things that were unpopular, hosted no severe screw-ups on his part.

Others who were defeated:

John Q. Adams. He literally stole the election away from Andrew Jackson by cobbling together an electoral majority through a corrupt bargain, and was bound to lose the next election to him, since he didn't really belong there in the first place.
Martin Van Buren. Collapsed the US economy in 1837
Grover Cleveland: Defied big business at the time of big business' greatest direct influence on American politics with his anti-tariff stance.
Benjamin Harrison: pandered too much to big business and imposed a ruinous tariff.
William Taft: the Republican party eviscerated itself between him and Roosevelt, paving the way for Wilson
Herbert Hooever: collapsed the US economy.
Gerald Ford: pardoned Nixon in what, despite what he said, looked like blatant croneyism.
George Bush: another case of Republican evisceration with Perot.

If Obama were to be challenged from the Left (possible, but highly unlikely), it could pose a problem, or if his financial policies do end up wrecking the country, but they have to do so in the next two years. That's really pretty much it.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Around the Network
mrstickball said:
__XBrawlX__ said:

Why is everyone so cynical when they talk about him. Just last year this time people still loved him. And unlike Bush, who got re-elected, I fail to see in glaring flaws in what he has done so far...

Could someone explain? (Im not American BTW)

Lets see:

• Promised a ticket of 'hope' and 'change', despite keeping us in 2 unpopular wars, and a lot of Bush-era policies.
  • Was supposed to be a 'uniter' and bi-partisan, despite pushing through some glaringly one-sided .
  • Has totally botched economic recovery with a poorly planned bailout.
  • Currently botching the oil disaster - he's sat back, and waited for it to get worse and worse, spouting rhetoric with no actions.
  • Has done nothing of major positive worth since his election a year and a half. America is, for the most part, worse off now than when he was elected.
  • Fought for a very poor health care bill, instead of focusing on the economy.

That would sum most of it up.

Wow, so much fail in one post.  Amazing.

What was fail in that post? it seems fairly accurate to me. Care to elaborate or do you have nothing of value to say?

depends, I was an Obama supporter, but his recent inibility to get congress to work together and get anything done irks me, but on the other hand the GOP is in a nosedive, so it's really up in the air.

whatever said:
mrstickball said:
__XBrawlX__ said:

Why is everyone so cynical when they talk about him. Just last year this time people still loved him. And unlike Bush, who got re-elected, I fail to see in glaring flaws in what he has done so far...

Could someone explain? (Im not American BTW)

Lets see:

• Promised a ticket of 'hope' and 'change', despite keeping us in 2 unpopular wars, and a lot of Bush-era policies.
  • Was supposed to be a 'uniter' and bi-partisan, despite pushing through some glaringly one-sided .
  • Has totally botched economic recovery with a poorly planned bailout.
  • Currently botching the oil disaster - he's sat back, and waited for it to get worse and worse, spouting rhetoric with no actions.
  • Has done nothing of major positive worth since his election a year and a half. America is, for the most part, worse off now than when he was elected.
  • Fought for a very poor health care bill, instead of focusing on the economy.

That would sum most of it up.

Wow, so much fail in one post.  Amazing.

And your counter-arguments are....what again?

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

Around the Network

Too early to say, but as of this moment, if the Republicans can field a decent candidate, I'd think not. After he won the Democratic nomination, I thought that Obama would beat McCain handily and come into office with a lot of good feelings, but that his popularity would quickly crater as he became something of a Jimmy Carter 2.0 and he'd ultimately be a one-term president. I certainly don't see any reason to change that prediction now.

As a candidate, Obama was basically an appealing enigma who carefully presented himself as all things to all people, having spent his entire career as a state senator voting "present" and fully half of his career in the national Senate running for president. His only real accomplishment as president (besides racking up record amounts of debt) has been a health care reform bill which seems increasingly unsustainable with each passing day.  There are so many seemingly intractable problems facing the country, and he's just not shown himself to be a leader.

The only positive I see for Obama is that this may all be peaking too early. If the Republicans hand the Democrats their heads in November, forcing Obama to do a Clinton-esque pivot to the center (provided he's capable of and inclined toward doing such a thing) and the Republicans to take more ownership of governing the country, the dynamic may change. However, I have my suspicions that he is so utterly without substance that a rebound is beyond him even then.

nathantay said:

No he will not be reelected. Anyone who voted for him should be ashamed of themselves., and anyone who will vote for him again after all the shit he has done is a retard.

.....No offense but Americans are known for doing the retarded thing....you guys voted Geroge Bush in....twice

Black Women Are The Most Beautiful Women On The Planet.

"In video game terms, RPGs are games that involve a form of separate battles taking place with a specialized battle system and the use of a system that increases your power through a form of points.

Sure, what you say is the definition, but the connotation of RPGs is what they are in video games." - dtewi

I Think he will, I mean we re-elected bush and she screwed up a lot. People will always support a long term plan. And Obama's plans were never set to succeed in anything under 4 years. And on that note a lot of people are thinking negatively of him because he can't control the oil leak right now. And That's not fair, because no one can control it, it's a disaster that really is hard to fix, Don't get me wrong the gov't isn't doing everything to try to protect the beaches, but they are still doing a lot to try and stop the leak. I think he will be re-elected, just give him more time, I mean he still has like 2 and half years left, a lot can happen in that time. And the economy goes up then goes down, so who's to say that it wont shoot up over the next two years, I mean it did shoot down in like 1. 

SO honestly I think it's to early to tell fully lol. 

3609-1228-9914

Easily. I don't like the democrats much but Obama has done a great job so far.

He hasn't shown his stance on Israel though yet. I am a bit worried about his Israel policy.

Where did my former post go? It disappeared.

Anyway, Obama will easily be re-elected. I don't like Democrats policies but he has done a good job so far

Obama hasn't showed his stance on Israel yet. I am worried about his Israel policy.