By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Graphic Whores forgot what gaming really is about

MaxwellGT2000 said:

It did have the save the planet thing going in it, but along with that a totally unimaginative plot, with very cliche lines, like the metal they're looking for is "unobtainium"... if half as much thought went into the plot of that movie as went into the imagining of the world and bringing it to life, then it would have been a movie for the ages.

Go easy on Cameron: he only had a decade to come up with the script.  You can't rush art!

Around the Network

I think the problem is not the value of graphics, but outright denying a game(either good or bad) because of its graphics, and it does happen a lot. I could enjoy a game a bit more if it is pretty one(which could be present in any power capabilities); however it isn't at the top of my priority lists, and for sure it isn't a major factor in buying a game or not. Although for others, who love to be "impressed" by their games capabilities, that may be oppositely true. Like others have noted, it is just as annoying listening to "gameplay > graphics" arguments as it is to the "bad graphics = bad game" ones. 

Graphics don't make the games good.  But they sure make them better.

ssj12 said:
mirgro said:

This thread is a perfect example of just how immature video games are, and especially their fans.Think of this as a good example

Avatar was trash, but it was entertaining trash.

The Godfather part 2 was a good movies.

Any person who has somethign ebtween his ears, and is mature enough, will be able to tell you the above statements.

However it seems that in video gaming etertaing trash is absolutely always equal to quality. Which is very hilarious and speaks volumes about the type of people who play games.

Avatar was a good movie an underlining "save the planet, dont destroy the forests" moral. The reason most people dont like it is because they dont see this and see it as a pointless action flick with random love scenes. If anything its a movie that has been directed by someone who played way to many old school shooters and watched quite a few animes and rolled it into a movie to spread protectionism of our greenlands.

I haven't seen any Godfather movies... so couldnt tell you if its good or not.

And don't judge a person's intelligence based on their movie tastes either. I myself loved all the Spiderman movies, but I also love Gran Torino, Across the Universe, No Country for Old Men, and The Green Mile. Just because I enjoy the stupider movies doesnt mean I dont enjoy the artistic and/or highly moral based movies. Its all about taste and enjoyment. I'm pretty sure someone like Mr. Steven Hawking would, if he could, enjoy Crysis as much as he would a movie like The Watchmen, and we know he is a very intelligent man.

DON'T MAKE FUN OF POCAHONTAS! THAT WAS MY FAVORITE MOVIE!!!!

Wii pushes on gameplay while HD systems push on graphics.

Wii's conrtols can do things HD consoles will never do.
The only thing HD consoles have above wii is graphics. And that's not the main thing to make a game

Tag:I'm not bias towards Nintendo. You just think that way (Admin note - it's "biased".  Not "bias")
(killeryoshis note - Who put that there ?)
Switch is 9th generation. Everyone else is playing on last gen systems! UPDATE: This is no longer true

Biggest pikmin fan on VGchartz I won from a voting poll
I am not a nerd. I am enthusiast.  EN-THU-SI-AST!
Do Not Click here or else I will call on the eye of shinning justice on you. 

Around the Network
killeryoshis said:

The only thing HD consoles have above wii is graphics. And that's not the main thing to make a game

That is certainly true in some aspects, but not everybody sees the value of motion controls. To those that don't see any value in motion controls, and plenty of value in graphics, this situation is rather a case of HD Console owners having both "gameplay" and "graphics" as a rewarding experience. Also, please remember that while Motion Controls add a new facet of gameplay, other aspects of the Wii are less on par, such as Online gaming. 

killeryoshis said:

Nope... The Wii pushes different control schemes with gameplay that, in most case, could be handled mostly the same with a regular controller.

The games that try to redefine gameplay are not the norm on the Wii.  The same as it is on the HD consoles.

ssj12 said:
mirgro said:

This thread is a perfect example of just how immature video games are, and especially their fans.Think of this as a good example

Avatar was trash, but it was entertaining trash.

The Godfather part 2 was a good movies.

Any person who has somethign ebtween his ears, and is mature enough, will be able to tell you the above statements.

However it seems that in video gaming etertaing trash is absolutely always equal to quality. Which is very hilarious and speaks volumes about the type of people who play games.

Avatar was a good movie an underlining "save the planet, dont destroy the forests" moral. The reason most people dont like it is because they dont see this and see it as a pointless action flick with random love scenes. If anything its a movie that has been directed by someone who played way to many old school shooters and watched quite a few animes and rolled it into a movie to spread protectionism of our greenlands.

I haven't seen any Godfather movies... so couldnt tell you if its good or not.

And don't judge a person's intelligence based on their movie tastes either. I myself loved all the Spiderman movies, but I also love Gran Torino, Across the Universe, No Country for Old Men, and The Green Mile. Just because I enjoy the stupider movies doesnt mean I dont enjoy the artistic and/or highly moral based movies. Its all about taste and enjoyment. I'm pretty sure someone like Mr. Steven Hawking would, if he could, enjoy Crysis as much as he would a movie like The Watchmen, and we know he is a very intelligent man.

You really should watch The Godfather then.

As I said earlier though, I loved SW ep 3, and hated 2001. However I will never go around saying that Revenge of the Sith was a better movie than 2001. Odyssey was a much better movie, but it just wasn't for me, maybe because of my mood when I watched it or any other number of other variables.

To keep things platform neutral here, it would be like equating God of War 3 to Flower. I am sorry, but even if I had more fun with GoW3, Flower was just a better game that offered something far more than just the rehashed, repetative gameplay of GoW with a twist or two here to warrant the 3.

Or World of Goo and Metroid Prime 3. Or Crysis and Portal. Or Braid and Halo 3.

It's 2010, the Iphone has good graphics, yes I expect my games to look good. It doesnt make the game better, but I like looking at a god game while I play it.

I bought a HD TV not because the shows are better but they look better.

Next Gen 

11/20/09 04:25 makingmusic476 Warning Other (Your avatar is borderline NSFW. Please keep it for as long as possible.)

I believe it has more to do with elitism and maturity. 

So called graphics whoring, could be a psychological manifestation of an individuals need to feel value in their perceived choices. 

Bottomline, try to enjoy everything you can. 

I game.  You game.  We game.

I'm a videogamer, not a fanboy, but have a special place for Nintendo.

Current Systems Owned: NSwitch/PS4/XONE/WiiU/3DS/2DS/PCGaming Rig-i7/ASUS i7 Gaming Laptop.

Previous Game Consoles:  PS3/Xbox360/Wii/DSL/Pretty much every one thats been released since the Atari 2600.