By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Graphic Whores forgot what gaming really is about

I'm doing my coming out.

I still think Chrono Trigger and Final Fanrasy VI have great graphics.

Around the Network

I'm a little indifferent to this. While I agree that graphics can complement gameplay well, a game should never be dismissed with "bad graphics" as the primary reason.

Vetteman94 said:

So only Wii owners can truely appreciate gaming?   So this whole time I have been missing out on great gaming experiences because I dont have one?   So if I get a Wii will I enjoy Heavy Rain and MGS4 more than I already do?   Will it make Killzone 2 & Gears of War 2 even better shooters than I think they already are?  

Or are you just saying the Wii games are the only great gaming experiences to be had this gen and all HD games suck?

Well I do agree with one thing you said, this current gen of gamers are annoying as shit,  and this thread proves that point

Agreed.  

dunno001:

"Needless to say, I've never trusted them, or, frankly, any other review source. What I do trust, is what I see with my own eyes and play with my own hands."

Favorite Games of All-Time:

1.  Star Ocean 3   2. Kingdom Hearts:  Birth by Sleep  3. Kingdom Hearts 1/2  4.  Metal Gear Solid 4    5.  Super Mario 3  6.  Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess/Ocarina of Time  7. Uncharted 2

Hynad said:

I'm doing my coming out.

Don't look at any GT5 video then or your eyes will pop out.

d21lewis said:

V-I-D-E-O (five letters) G-A-M-E-S (five letters).  Hmm.  Interesting.  It looks like there's just as much emphasis on the word "video" as there is on the word "games".  I love a good playing game.  I can also appreciate a good looking game.  As far as I can remember, I was drawn to video games.  I remember walking past games like Double Dragon, Bad Dudes, Race Driving, Afterburner, Street Fighter 2, and such in arcades and being stopped dead in my tracks by how stunning they looked.  I used to connect my Nes/Snes/and when I could get my hands on one, the Genesis and hook it up to the family VCR and record footage of various games just to look at them.  I'd spend literal hours pausing Street Fighter 2 to look at the individual frames of animation and thinking how awesome it looked and I'd watch the opening to the original Starfox or Flashback over and over again in awe of how good the animation was.

I've been gaming since the early 80's.  I'm not one of these new generation gamers that you speak of.  You name a good game, classic or new and the odds are pretty good that I've owned it or at least played it.  (that was all just to set the mood).  I own a Wii and I've been a Nintendo Fan since the beginning.  And I prefer the PS3/360 BY FAR.  You can tell me how the Wii is all about gameplay over graphics and I'll call bullshit on you.  The Wii's underpowered graphics actually hurt the experience of some games.  If believing the Wii has some sort of edge over other consoles helps you sleep well at night, so be it.  Games like Uncharted 2, Gears 2, Heavy Rain, Halo Reach, and Enslaved (buy Enslaved, kids!) etc. are great experiences and the presentation have a lot to do with it.

And even if you disagree, tell me that games like 'Splosion Man, Limbo, Braid,Flower, etc. don't benefit from impressive graphics?  Even the games like Zelda, Metal Gear Solid, Star Fox, Wave Race, Super Mario Bros. 3, Zeld LttP, Donkey Kong Country, Super Mario 64, and such benefitted from being the absolute best looking games of their time.  I think graphic whores arent the only ones who forgot what VIDEO gaming is about.

*Everybody gets up and claps*

Great speech sir!

*sobs*

Great speech!

dunno001:

"Needless to say, I've never trusted them, or, frankly, any other review source. What I do trust, is what I see with my own eyes and play with my own hands."

Favorite Games of All-Time:

1.  Star Ocean 3   2. Kingdom Hearts:  Birth by Sleep  3. Kingdom Hearts 1/2  4.  Metal Gear Solid 4    5.  Super Mario 3  6.  Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess/Ocarina of Time  7. Uncharted 2

Around the Network
Smidlee said:
Hynad said:

I'm doing my coming out.

Don't look at any GT5 video then or your eyes will pop out.

Oh I saw lots of 'em already.

I'm still looking for my left one.  °_x

the_bloodwalker said:

The debate of Graphics Vs Gameplay has me tired and bored.

It's a matter of perception.

Graphics have the power of impression. Visuals are an easy mechanism to attract people. Even I am impressed of the visual quality many games for PC and HD consoles have. On this we can all agree. Graphics are hype makers.

The discussion is and will always be : do great graphics indicate a great game? Graphic whores would go for the YES and the gameplay purist will go to the NO. In reality the answer is not, and never will be, objective. 

• There are great games with amazing graphics : Modern Warfare, God of War, Resident Evil 4, Super Mario Galaxy, etc.
  • There are bad games with great graphics : Lair, some Me-Too FPS, etc.
  • There are bad games with low res visuals : Wii shovelware
  • There are great games with low res visuals: Dragon Quest IX, NSMB wii, Scribblenauts, many DS games. 

I consider stupid when a gamers does not want to try a game because of the visuals. A good or bad game is defined by your experience with it or by checking if the gameplay elements are of your appeal before you try.

Completely agree with everything said here.  The gameplay > graphics cliche is becoming just as bad as the "book is better than the movie" cliche.  Graphics do have their place in gaming and no one can deny it.  Many games back in the day were graphical feats for the time are classics now that are apparently "only about gameplay" today.  I'm thinking Ocarina of Time, Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy VI, and Final Fantasy IX. 

Are great visuals necessary for a good game? No, of course not.  However, having the option for great visuals in a game allows for more variety.  I don't think a game like Uncharted 2 could accomplish what it wanted to present without the visuals.  The feeling when hanging from a cliff or during the train scene just couldn't be accomplished if the visuals were PS2-level.

"Naturally the common people don't want war: Neither in Russia, nor in England, nor for that matter in Germany. That is understood. But, after all, IT IS THE LEADERS of the country who determine the policy and it is always a simple matter to drag the people along, whether it is a democracy, or a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is TELL THEM THEY ARE BEING ATTACKED, and denounce the peacemakers for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. IT WORKS THE SAME IN ANY COUNTRY."  --Hermann Goering, leading Nazi party member, at the Nuremberg War Crime Trials 

Conservatives:  Pushing for a small enough government to be a guest in your living room, or even better - your uterus.