By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - What is your take on creationism/creationists?

The key thing with creationism that I don't like is that they will believe what is said in their holy books regardless of the evidence presented. Most even admit that like Ken Ham(leader of Answers in Genesis), almost every member in the Discovery Institute, and many more. That's when it becomes rediculous. When people have to delibrately ignore evidence to satisfy their sacred text, that is when such belief is not tolerated. The existence of a god can be believed since there is no evidence against it (though there is no evidence for it either), but evolution has been proven beyond any reasonable doubt. Evolution is a fact.

Around the Network
thanny said:

And i see where you are coming from WereKitten, but in my opinion that doesn't really explain the majority of instances. The eye would have had to have many working parts to be useful as anything - As would many functions of the body. As for having a photosensitive area, I can see how that would make sense in terms of natural selection, but that in itself is not at all 'simple' and would not be formed in one mutation.

Mine wasn't meant to be an exhaustive explanation, just pointing the general way to tackle the issue. The development of the eye was actually often taken as a subject in evolution vs ID debates, and you'll find a lot of literature about it if you research.

Your opinion on the majority of instances is hardly worth anything, sorry if it sounds harsh but of course the same is true for mine, since neither of us is an accomplished physiologist/paleontologist/genetist. Since Darwin's times it was very well known that if a biological structure was found for which it was impossible to find a building path through adaptively favourable mutations then the whole natural selection mechanism theory would be in trouble.

Since then, many examples of tentative irreducible complexity were brought forth, and none stood under closer exam by the scientific community at large. So much so that there's a lot of inner debate about the details of the natural selection mechanisms, but very little about the scaffolding.

PS: you seem to have a restricted, teleological point of view about the smaller mutations. There was no "useless leg stump" mutation, the whole idea of calling it a "leg" foreshadows its future use. But that's not how it works. A primitive limb good enough to walk on earth could evolve by a mutation that changed the muscles or shape of ventral fins that were good enough for a fish to crawl on seabed. Those could have reached that additional use through mutations from ventral fins that originally were only good to stabilize swimming.

In the bacterial flagella example, the same proteins that work the "rotor" part are those used in other phyla to move the parts of an expulsion structure.

You seem to focus too much on the endgame, but selection operates very locally.

"All you need in life is ignorance and confidence; then success is sure." - Mark Twain

"..." - Gordon Freeman

I believe in God whether or not people wish to call it a fairy tale is up to them. I am not the judge.

headshot91 said:
Nirvana_Nut85 said:

Well considering that scientific data is about as manipulated by the Elite as religions today I dont see how any of you can justify your answers when both are propagated. Look what they did with man made global warming for example. It came out in the media last year that the University that the U.N had hired had been manipulating the data they were providing to make it appear as if the Earth was getting warmer when in fact temperatures had been cooling in the past 10 years.  http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/jamesdelingpole/100017393/climategate-the-final-nail-in-the-coffin-of-anthropogenic-global-warming/ (There's alot more sites to look into if you google "climate Gate")

Lol, you do realise that article is over 6months old? Heres the follow up "investigation" released in april this year:

The report of the independent Science Assessment Panel was published on 14 April 2010 and concluded that the panel had seen "no evidence of any deliberate scientific malpractice in any of the work of the Climatic Research Unit." It found that the CRU's work had been "carried out with integrity" and had used "fair and satisfactory" methods.

Also while admitedly scientific data can be manipulated, in the vast majority it is unbiased fact.

Lmao and you do understand that the head of the so called propagated "independant research" was headed by Lord Oxburgh   who has direct ties with carbon trading companies as well as being the chairman for alternative energy companies, who would benefit from having the review state there was no evidence. Thats why no one took the review seriously :)

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/environment/article7071751.ece

This is why we can't always trust scientific data because it can be manipulated instead of being non-biased

" Rebellion Against Tyrants Is Obedience To God"

Nirvana_Nut85 said:
headshot91 said:
Nirvana_Nut85 said:

Well considering that scientific data is about as manipulated by the Elite as religions today I dont see how any of you can justify your answers when both are propagated. Look what they did with man made global warming for example. It came out in the media last year that the University that the U.N had hired had been manipulating the data they were providing to make it appear as if the Earth was getting warmer when in fact temperatures had been cooling in the past 10 years.  http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/jamesdelingpole/100017393/climategate-the-final-nail-in-the-coffin-of-anthropogenic-global-warming/ (There's alot more sites to look into if you google "climate Gate")

Lol, you do realise that article is over 6months old? Heres the follow up "investigation" released in april this year:

The report of the independent Science Assessment Panel was published on 14 April 2010 and concluded that the panel had seen "no evidence of any deliberate scientific malpractice in any of the work of the Climatic Research Unit." It found that the CRU's work had been "carried out with integrity" and had used "fair and satisfactory" methods.

Also while admitedly scientific data can be manipulated, in the vast majority it is unbiased fact.

Lmao and you do understand that the head of the so called propagated "independant research" was headed by Lord Oxburgh   who has direct ties with carbon trading companies as well as being the chairman for alternative energy companies, who would benefit from having the review state there was no evidence. Thats why no one took the review seriously :)

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/environment/article7071751.ece

This is why we can't always trust scientific data because it can be manipulated instead of being non-biased

lmao. Apart from this having NOTHING to do with creationism, you do realise even if it was true and lord oxburgh had a conflict of interests that directly affected his judgement, there are 6 other people in the review panel?

Ive know idea why this was brought up, the topic ws creationism, unless youre saying evolution facts can be "manipulated"? LOL

Around the Network

As a fellow Britannian, I know for a fact that Lord Oxford was not making up facts about making up opinions on evolution. We all knoe that evolution is pseudoscience that came from all the New Age crap of the 1930s and only exists to deflate the value of the world's unsung hero, the (protestant) preist. Besides, doesn't everyone know that Lord Oxford moved from America during the Great Depression to escape American rule over the British colonies in Europe?

My avatar hypnotizes you into never questioning me about my beliefs and always accepting my statements as true without need of proof.

PSN: BishugotShoted

Steam: Phat_Ask_Mario

Twitter: http://twitter.com/dannyw

Hit me up sometime (not literally)

Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/dannywitte/

SecondWar said:
DannyW said:

Evolution is all a lie. Humans started walking upright about 6000 years ago, when God made 'em from dirt. There is no compatibility whatsoever between random, purposeless, Godless evolution and Christianity or Judaism. Any divine oversight or guidance means that natural evolution never occurred. Science is full of frauds, hoaxes, misinterpreted evidence, circular logic, and fanciful flights of imagination, and has never proved that any species evolved from any other species. Fossil records are part of those hoaxes. Levathon (Sp?) is a very powerful demon that can take control of the godless and use their bodies to spread the word of lucifer. The Bible has never ever been proven wrong on anything.

Im going to relate this to video games which seems to be the only form of science you accept

If evolution is the total rubbish you believe it to be, explain to me why Super Mario Bros on the NES is not technologically equal to Super Mario Bros on the Wii. Isnt that evolution, the technology improving over time into a more advanced state?

Im not trying to offend you, Im just curious to see what your answer is.

Yes but somebody (a person) developed the new technology , the nes didn't just evolve into a snes by itself somebody developed a new system and scraped the old one.

SO!It makes perfect sense the somebody created apes and then eventually came up with better ideas scraped the old ones and created us.

Did you know that scientists recently discovered how to create a synthetic cells?heres the link. http://www.cbc.ca/technology/story/2010/05/20/venter-synthetic-genome-cell-bacteria.html if you read it , it actually sounds like were creating a new type of species.Some people believe that the universe is an endless amount of creators somebody created us and somebody created the people who created us and so on.

I am Kong.

Strong and passionate, I tend to be misunderstood, sometimes even feared. I don't want to fight, I don't want to cause trouble, all I ask is a little love, and a little peace. If I don't get what I want, I get angry, and throw barrels and flaming oil at whatever's stopping me. What Video Game Character Are You?
NinjaV said:
SecondWar said:
DannyW said:

Evolution is all a lie. Humans started walking upright about 6000 years ago, when God made 'em from dirt. There is no compatibility whatsoever between random, purposeless, Godless evolution and Christianity or Judaism. Any divine oversight or guidance means that natural evolution never occurred. Science is full of frauds, hoaxes, misinterpreted evidence, circular logic, and fanciful flights of imagination, and has never proved that any species evolved from any other species. Fossil records are part of those hoaxes. Levathon (Sp?) is a very powerful demon that can take control of the godless and use their bodies to spread the word of lucifer. The Bible has never ever been proven wrong on anything.

Im going to relate this to video games which seems to be the only form of science you accept

If evolution is the total rubbish you believe it to be, explain to me why Super Mario Bros on the NES is not technologically equal to Super Mario Bros on the Wii. Isnt that evolution, the technology improving over time into a more advanced state?

Im not trying to offend you, Im just curious to see what your answer is.

Yes but somebody (a person) developed the new technology , the nes didn't just evolve into a snes by itself somebody developed a new system and scraped the old one.

SO!It makes perfect sense the somebody created apes and then eventually came up with better ideas scraped the old ones and created us.

Did you know that scientists recently discovered how to create a synthetic cells?heres the link. http://www.cbc.ca/technology/story/2010/05/20/venter-synthetic-genome-cell-bacteria.html if you read it , it actually sounds like were creating a new type of species.Some people believe that the universe is an endless amount of creators somebody created us and somebody created the people who created us and so on.

That almost sounds like ethnic cleansing, purging the old designs to replace them with the new ones. 

What I was going for was the idea that our own understanding of technology had advanced (evolved) to the point where we could turn the NES into the SNES, but thought that was a interesting way of arguing against my example.

NinjaV said:

Actually, the beauty of Darwin's ideas and all those about replicators and evolution that stemmed from them is that you don't need an intelligent designer to proceed from simple to organized structures. That's why Dennet in "Darwin's dangerous idea" compares it to cranes (they work from the bottom up, you can use a crane to build a better crane) versus the creationist "skyhooks" (they work top down, you don't know how they are miracolously affixed up there).

Your infinite chain of creators also reminds me of "turtles all the way down" :)

"All you need in life is ignorance and confidence; then success is sure." - Mark Twain

"..." - Gordon Freeman

DannyW said:

As a fellow Britannian, I know for a fact that Lord Oxford was not making up facts about making up opinions on evolution. We all knoe that evolution is pseudoscience that came from all the New Age crap of the 1930s and only exists to deflate the value of the world's unsung hero, the (protestant) preist. Besides, doesn't everyone know that Lord Oxford moved from America during the Great Depression to escape American rule over the British colonies in Europe?

DannyW Im not going to ask your views on abortion and gay rights because I already know what they are but are you also anti-feminist and against religious integration?

Im also wondering which part of Christianity you follow as it seems to have splintered into so many different sects. Also wondering which way you vote in an election seeing as Im guessing you go with the most fundamentally Christian party.

(Also, does DannyW come across as antagonistic to anyone mainly because of his profile picture?)