By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Website Topics - The VGC 3.0 Complaint/Suggestion Thread

--OkeyDokey-- said:
ioi said:
anmol111 said:

I have one major complaint and that is the removal of the Hot Topics box that used to be on the front page. That is how I saw forum topics and it was convenient to use instead of going back and forth between between forums eg. Sony and Nintendo and Microsoft. Please try to incorporate this into the new website.

Also I dont like how information is now spread into different categories as I think all of this should be displayed on the main page.

Personally I HATE this new design and would highly recommend changing it back to what it previously was.

The splitting of hot topics into the forums is intentional. The idea with the new site is to prevent cross-trolling in forums you shouldn't be in. If I create a topic in the xbox forum about a game I don't want it derailed by PS3 / Wii fans. By having seperated forums like this we split the discussion more - you only frequent the forum that is of interest to you. That said, we are working on some changes to the forum navigation to make things a little easier to move through.

ioi, you know I'm one of the reasonable ones. But this is a bad idea. If Hot Topics doesn't return in some way shape or form I can guarantee you forum activity will be WAY down. Worse still, our close-knit community will be divided!

I'm gonna be real sad if it doesn't come back, I'm already visiting off topic and gaming forums less ( I never visited Sony or Nintendo anyway)

I feel like a new kid at school scrabbling to fit into one group of people and just staying there!

Around the Network
ioi said:
ZenfoldorVGI said:

Also ioi, know this. The site does look very professional, congratz to your coders.

I coded the vast majority of it myself.

That's nice. I assume DesignCure did the graphical aspect of the site?

Random game thought :
Why is Bionic Commando Rearmed 2 getting so much hate? We finally get a real game and they're not even satisfied... I'm starting to hate the gaming community so f****** much...

Watch my insane gameplay videos on my YouTube page!

This new format frightens and confuses me.

I have no problem with the white background or green text. Everything looks great.

ioi said:

I think we know how to code a user-initiated css selector, and it isn't outside the realm of possibility, but I don't se the issue with the current setup personally. White backgrounds and green or red or blue links / detailing are pretty common styles. I don't see the big issue with green?

I personally couldn't care less either way, I was just bored and I saw the color thing as one of the main gripes about the new site.

I just thought it would be a cool feature, not sure if other sites allow you to choose the color scheme, this is the only forum I check on the interwebz :)

Just thought it would A) Stop the people bitching about the colors and B)Give you a feature other sites don't have

Unicorns ARE real - They are just fat, grey and called Rhinos

Around the Network
ioi said:
Tanstalas said:

Hey Ioi,

I don't want to sound like I am beating a dead horse, but I was thinking about my earlier idea earlier for colors...

I think it would take maybe 1 - 2 hours to change it so that people can choose a different color scheme, let me go into detail:

I am assuming 2 things:

1)User preferences/settings are kept in a MySQL table, for how many posts per page, etc you want
2)The "pages" we see are actually passed through a PHP page before they are rendered to the browser

So..
Step 1: Create a new column in the user table, call it color or something
Step 2: Create a new section in the settings page where you can update your color scheme
Step 3: When rendering the page through the PHP page for the css style sheet concatenate a number (stored from the User settings MySQL colum onto the CSS page - you will need more than 1 css sheet for this to work)

Step 1: Create a new column in user MySQL table, call it color, default it to "1" (without the quotes) this is the number of the current color scheme (black on white) - pretty selfexplanitory, time to complete - minutes

Step 2: Create a new sections page where we can choose color scheme - time to complete - 30 minutes.  When user changes the color scheme it will update the mysql table with the new color, to keep it easy, lets just to black text on white background and white text on black background - if they choose the latter, replace the "1" in the color column for the user with a 2.

Step 3: When you render the page through the PHP script just have the PHP script grab the column value from the users mysql row.. Been awhile since I did PHP but would be something like:

Select color from user_table where user = "tanstalas" (this would return a "2" for example if I had the setting for white text on black)

When it renders the CSS part going through the PHP table just concatenate the number onto the end of the css page.  Right now it looks like the following (assume this is the CSS page)

<link rel="stylesheet" href="http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/assets/css/master.css" type="text/css" />

So basically you would just use PHP to concatenate the number from the color column of my settings to the css sheet so..

<link rel="stylesheet" href="http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/assets/css/master" . $color .".csstype="text/css" />

Now you would have 2 different css sheets stored in the assets/css folder for a black on white and white on black master1.css and master2.css

You can add different combinations as well to settings, red on white for example would insert a 3 into the column and you would have to make another CSS sheet with a red on white - but once you have ti set up, adding new color schemes would be easy.

The most time intensive part of this would be doing a find and replace on the master.css page and replacing the text color and background color's and then saving the new sheet and uploading it..

I'm sure there is stuff I did wrong up there, been about 8 years since I graduated from college.. but you get the point..

Anyhow, this is the last you will hear from me on this idea, I know you said that the Black on white will stay, but I think the above is an easy to implement solution that would only take a couple of hours and will please a lot of people..

Also I realize this is a cosmetics thing, and you have more important things to worry about now, but just throwing this out there for the future :)

I think we know how to code a user-initiated css selector, and it isn't outside the realm of possibility, but I don't se the issue with the current setup personally. White backgrounds and green or red or blue links / detailing are pretty common styles. I don't see the big issue with green?

Green on white is fine IMO, but when we make nice fancy threads, a bit of customisation goes a long way ...

Edit - Sorry got confused between colour scheme and coloured text >< (is that being implemented though?)

I hate how i wasn't informed that VGC3.0 was even coming out. I know i haven't been on for the last 3 days but this should have been being talked a week before the update took place.

ioi said:
ZenfoldorVGI said:

Also ioi, know this. The site does look very professional, congratz to your coders.

I coded the vast majority of it myself.

wow! :-O

well i must say, you sir are amazing!!!

gurglesletch said:

I hate how i wasn't informed that VGC3.0 was even coming out. I know i haven't been on for the last 3 days but this should have been being talked a week before the update took place.

Really? I thought it was a pleasant surprise.

my biggest qualm so far is some of the improvements we've made to the forums has been lost

the console badges we had

forum topics showing up different colors if you have been quoted

aside from that the new website is growing on me but it still needs a couple things fixed here and there