By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - If GTA4 isn't a 10/10 game, why did it get reviews like it did?

I guess in the perspective of people who played GTA3 to SA is that it was overhyped. It was a total let down compare what it had to offer in the next generation.

Around the Network
Wagram said:
Alot of games this generation are over rated critically. The best thing to do is judge yourself. Don't let someone else think for you.

This... and, I never wanted it to fail.. It was GTA.. But, when I played it, it was lacking everything that san andreas did.. It was GTA 3 Remastered.  Motor Bikes, and swimming...  All the stuff you could do in san andreas and NOT any other GTA games didn't return...  That's what made it bad for me.

Changing clothes doesn't count.

Rob6021 said:
Lavish Review events can't hurt..

http://kotaku.com/5416788/

The signature wins again!

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.

I don't even bother listening to reviews anymore. When it all comes down to it, reviewers are just ordinary people and almost all reviews have many factors that affect the score that are unrelated to the game itself. It can be what system they are on, what kind of game it is, what the reviewer himself/herself expects from the game. I'm not gonna let someone probably completely different than me tell me what game I should get. Blasphemy!!

http://kotaku.com/5416788/ To reiterate truths already written.........

I know Rockstar probably paid some reviewers off. Like stated before, if your game is heavily advertised on a website from these guys, it is guaranteed some score bonus. Look at The Conduit, it got an 8.6 from IGN when it deserved 1.0-1.7 points lower in rating.

GTA4 was a 6.8 game. For all it achieved technically, it did nothing gameplay wise that I enjoyed for more than 15 minutes. The incessant phone calls, the weak police, downgraded fea-. Screw it, I've already explained why this game BLEW dozens of times.

At the time, after Halo 3, GTA4 was the biggest returning "hardcore" franchise from the past that we had. People chose to forget mentioning that Super Smash Bros. Brawl and Mario Kart were on shelves at the time. GTA4 was supposed to prove that big-budget blockbusters are the only way to go in gaming and "Oscar-worthy" scripts are what gaming now has to achieve regularly. It was positioned to be heralded as a revolution in gaming of sorts. Heck, you even had leo-j saying GTA4 would kill the Wii off in its peak year nonetheless. It was the closest to games being considered art. Absolutely laughable.

GTA4 was supposed to prove the benefits of high-definition development. $100 million plus SEPARATE Ad money and voila, 10s. I was so excited to play this game and see what the hype was about. It turned out to be the standout disappointment of any game I have played this entire generation. Truly unplayable. I had more fun playing Scarface.

Leatherhat on July 6th, 2012 3pm. Vita sales:"3 mil for COD 2 mil for AC. Maybe more. "  thehusbo on July 6th, 2012 5pm. Vita sales:"5 mil for COD 2.2 mil for AC."

Around the Network

NO it's not a 10/10

to be a 10/10 it has to be perfect. no major glitches amazing presentation and since it is a sequal it has to be an upgrade, which it was not.

asking almost anyone, vice city and san andreas was the better game. so no way this could be a 10.

Aion said:
I think it's a 10/10, if you don't like it don't play it.

I agree 100 percent.

I don't need your console war.
It feeds the rich while it buries the poor.
You're power hungry, spinnin' stories, and bein' graphics whores.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

hsrob said:
ZenfoldorVGI said:
I think it was a great game, that was so big it formed an anti-community of equal size. I guarantee you that there are tons and tons of gamers out there who still think GTAIV is the best game ever made.

I originally gave it a 9.5, because at the time there was really not much better than it out. Now, Fallout 3 is out, and a few other games, so I'd probably give it a 9.2. It's not a 10/10 imo, but it's within the margin for error.

Good post. I think a similar thing happened way back when Donkey Kong Country first came out, surrounded by an obscene amount of hype (for the time). 

When some people started to realise that the game wasn't necessarily the second coming, the backlash was nearly as big as the hype and much more vicious.  The people on the anti-hype train went about emphatically overstating the game's supposed shortcomings in order to 'prove' that the game wasn't worthy of the hype.  It may not have been, but it certainly wasn't worthy of the backlash.

Great analogy there. DKC was a great game though, imo, lol. Just got flamed due to overhype.

It feeds the rich while it buries the poor.
You're power hungry, spinnin' stories, and bein' graphics whores.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

Gamespot and IGN both admit they were paid to give it a ten.. (and every other site follows them)

They apologized a while back for this.

Notice how Red dead is a 9.5 and 9.75 though it is leagues better than gta 4 was.

“Absolutely, we can do much more with it. I don’t know if we are even close to 50 percent of PlayStation 3’s power at this point,” said Asmussen about God of War 3.

ARE YOU KIDDING ME???

jhuff394 said:

Gamespot and IGN both admit they were paid to give it a ten.. (and every other site follows them)

They apologized a while back for this.

Notice how Red dead is a 9.5 and 9.75 though it is leagues better than gta 4 was.

Lol, i though IGN and Gamespot were just brown nosers, i had no idea they were paid. on a side note these guys heavily criticised FF13 for having a linear structure (i'm not here to debate that). but imo GTA4 had a more linear structure.

i mean even though its sandbox, you follow a bunch of straight lines (GPS) to point A (misson), you follow another set of straight lines to point B (target), you kill target and you return to point A along a series of straight lines... or perhaps they spice it up by having you procede from point B to point C.

my point is that, almost every mission in the game was Point A to Point B to Point A/C. and thats why i felt it was far too repititive and tedious and boring, and BANAL. anyway this game deserved at best 8/10, but IGN and Gamespot awarded 10s without giving objective reviews. but this is a common thing happening this gen, its not just GTA, but them being paid makes sense.