By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Intel or AMD?

Intel 74 43.79%

AMD 95 56.21%

Total:169

I've only used intel.....

Playstation All-Stars is one of the best games I've played this gen, and is the most fun I've had in a game this gen.

Around the Network
Tanstalas said:
I was AMD all the way until a couple years ago when I went with the Prescott CPU. Sucker ran hot but performed well, I built a new PC a few years ago and went with the Q6700, now I'm not sure whats up with it, but it actually boots up slower than my old prescott.

I'm thinking that during POST/BIOS maybe not all the CPU power is used, I know it had a program where you could set the multiplier in windows, defaulted to 6, but you could step it up to a 10 which gave you the 2.67..

So I assume that when it's booting it is only running at 1.6ghz speed (x6 multiplier) - I'm sure there is a BIOS setting, but I really never really cared, when I put it on 10x multiplier the PC fans spin so fast it sounds like a jet is taking off :) And I don't PC game much anymore, last few years have been basically WoW and FFXI.

You went Intel during the P4 Prescott days? I think that overpriced devil chip was what caused me to go AMD for the first time. Prescott was seriously outclassed by the AMD64s of the day and ran hotter than hell. Thank god the shift to more efficient chips happened when it did. Clockspeed was the mantra of the day, but you damn near needed liquid cooling and a nuclear powerplant to go over 3ghz.

XBL: WiiVault Wii: PM me  PSN: WiiVault

PC: AMD Athlon II Quadcore 635 (OC to 4.0ghz) , ATI Radeon 5770 1GB (x2)

MacBook Pro C2D 2.8ghz, 9600m GT 512 iMac: C2D 2.0, X2600XT 256

Yeah I've never heard of anyone going Intel during the P4 days.

Most of my PCs have been Intel, but nowadays I have to admit that this chart says everything:

http://paulisageek.com/compare/cpu/

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

Intel, always has been (although I was forced to use AMD on one of my previous laptops...)

My collection of guides on GameFAQs: Read them here

My latest guide on GameFAQs, for Little King's Story! Read it here 

Around the Network
NJ5 said:

Most of my PCs have been Intel, but nowadays I have to admit that this chart says everything:

http://paulisageek.com/compare/cpu/

I know AMD had the better performance for you dollar but I had no idea it was that bad. If you include motherboards it goes even further in AMD's favor.

I had an AMD K6-2 once as my main PC, it was a completely horrible PC and made me hate practically everything that constituted it thanks to the hell that every component gave me (the processor, Voodoo cards, Win 98). Therefore, I pick Intel, they aren't perfect, but at least I haven't had bad experiences with them

K6-2? You are reaching way back with that one. Didn't they launch in the late 90s?

Indeed, I think it was around...I don't know, '99 or so

Voted for Intel, only because I first started computing on an Intel chip.

However, I've got both on my network and I like both.  Whichever gives the best bang for the buck... I go with at that time. 

Nice not having to pick only one and have choices!!!

I game.  You game.  We game.

I'm a videogamer, not a fanboy, but have a special place for Nintendo.

Current Systems Owned: NSwitch/PS4/XONE/WiiU/3DS/2DS/PCGaming Rig-i7/ASUS i7 Gaming Laptop.

Previous Game Consoles:  PS3/Xbox360/Wii/DSL/Pretty much every one thats been released since the Atari 2600.