By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Intel or AMD?

Intel 74 43.79%

AMD 95 56.21%

Total:169
dahuman said:
Squilliam said:
dahuman said:

I only change my machine every 4 years or more, prolly a non issue lol, usually just video card upgrades these days.

I recently replaced an Athlon X2 64 with a Phenom 2 which was a full two generations ahead and it worked with a simple bios flash which turned my laggin HTPC into a fire breathing console eating beast. That was about 4 years and it saved me about $250 in mobo, ram.

see, I got dicked over by AMD with the 939 socket which was right before AM2. I turned that x2 4400 into a MPC with HD3850(AGP!!! lawl) taking care of the DxVA though, so that's all good. See where I'm coming from now?

I understand... I missed the 939/754 fiasco fortunately. However present i7 owners are dicked with a motherboard which won't support the next generation and the i5 owners are dicked with a motherboard which won't go higher than 4 cores. That is the present reason, however Intel also went through multiple 754 revisions which prevented people from upgrade to later versions which mitigates how bad AMD was at that time somewhat although it was bad which I will admit.

Tease.

Around the Network
Squilliam said:
dahuman said:
Squilliam said:
dahuman said:

I only change my machine every 4 years or more, prolly a non issue lol, usually just video card upgrades these days.

I recently replaced an Athlon X2 64 with a Phenom 2 which was a full two generations ahead and it worked with a simple bios flash which turned my laggin HTPC into a fire breathing console eating beast. That was about 4 years and it saved me about $250 in mobo, ram.

see, I got dicked over by AMD with the 939 socket which was right before AM2. I turned that x2 4400 into a MPC with HD3850(AGP!!! lawl) taking care of the DxVA though, so that's all good. See where I'm coming from now?

I understand... I missed the 939/754 fiasco fortunately. However present i7 owners are dicked with a motherboard which won't support the next generation and the i5 owners are dicked with a motherboard which won't go higher than 4 cores. That is the present reason, however Intel also went through multiple 754 revisions which prevented people from upgrade to later versions which mitigates how bad AMD was at that time somewhat although it was bad which I will admit.

I'm just used to socket changes by now, been dealing with it since the early 90s and the parts I have usually last more than 10 years so they are all used for something else after they are retired from my main machine for at least awhile before I smash them with a big ass hammer.

Intel all the way!!! but... I do work for them.... so may be a little bit biased...

This is not an exit.

dahuman said:
Vertigo-X said:
I heard a while ago AMD has a good synergy going on with its processors and video cards. Is this still true? If it is, then I'd have to go with AMD.

... Despite having an Intel Core 2 Duo in my laptop. :o

ATI video cards are superior in design atm vs Nvidia but Intel has the better CPUs right now. I just went Intel with ATI card obviously.

You didn't actually answer my question. I already knew that was true; my laptop has the same configuration. I was wondering, though, if the AMD processors and video cards had a driver (or something) that enables the two to work better than with the equivalent competition mixture (i.e. Intel + ATi).

The BuShA owns all!

the i7 series are the fastest chips on the market and they are priced decently , intel all the way

Around the Network
flowjo said:
the i7 series are the fastest chips on the market and they are priced decently , intel all the way

Not as far as six core cpus go, unfortunately.

I go AMD.

amd because I only use my desktop to play games and watch movies...it fits my needs...the fact that it is likely i can hold on to the same motherboard when I upgrade is a nice added bonus.

PSN: Skiptomylou41k

Gamertag: Skiptomylou41k

PS3 Slim/Xbox 360 Short/Wii Black/PS2 Slim/Psp/DS

Cypher1980 said:
Soon the Darkside will be irresistable and will crush the MS rebel scum underfoot.

The Wii owners are like Ewoks. The Evil empire will tolerate them but turn their forest moon into a secret base.

I went AMD a few years ago, never looked back.

Official member of the Xbox 360 Squad

My favorite is whomever provides me with the most bang for my buck. Right now it seems fairly even. That said I do have a soft spot for the little guy, so at the game price-preformance I suppose I would go AMD.

XBL: WiiVault Wii: PM me  PSN: WiiVault

PC: AMD Athlon II Quadcore 635 (OC to 4.0ghz) , ATI Radeon 5770 1GB (x2)

MacBook Pro C2D 2.8ghz, 9600m GT 512 iMac: C2D 2.0, X2600XT 256