By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Intel or AMD?

Intel 74 43.79%

AMD 95 56.21%

Total:169
dahuman said:
poroporo said:

I hope you do know that those are quad cores that failed QA then had their cores disabled, good luck in the future.....

I've been running prime95 for a whole day without any problems, methinks I have a golden chip.

Thanks for your concern though. :3

Around the Network

AMD all the way. If you buy a current Intel CPU you cannot upgrade it without replacing the motherboard because they change sockets like you change underwear.

Tease.

Squilliam said:
AMD all the way. If you buy a current Intel CPU you cannot upgrade it without replacing the motherboard because they change sockets like you change underwear.

I only change my machine every 4 years or more, prolly a non issue lol, usually just video card upgrades these days.

poroporo said:
dahuman said:
poroporo said:

I hope you do know that those are quad cores that failed QA then had their cores disabled, good luck in the future.....

I've been running prime95 for a whole day without any problems, methinks I have a golden chip.

Thanks for your concern though. :3

a lot of times it's not a big issue, prolly just failed something stupid that doesn't put a dent in the actual product but fell just below their QA process, but since you'd never know, out came my good luck in the future. =P

Actually I had the chance to test another one at work, that one's 4th core would crash instantly under prime, so we ended up with "only" 3 cores, which is better than nothing.

They're not all created 'equal', that's for sure. Luck is indeed involved.

Around the Network

I7 is the best processor on the market

dahuman said:
Squilliam said:

I only change my machine every 4 years or more, prolly a non issue lol, usually just video card upgrades these days.

I recently replaced an Athlon X2 64 with a Phenom 2 which was a full two generations ahead and it worked with a simple bios flash which turned my laggin HTPC into a fire breathing console eating beast. That was about 4 years and it saved me about $250 in mobo, ram.

Tease.

Squilliam said:
dahuman said:
Squilliam said:

I recently replaced an Athlon X2 64 with a Phenom 2 which was a full two generations ahead and it worked with a simple bios flash which turned my laggin HTPC into a fire breathing console eating beast. That was about 4 years and it saved me about $250 in mobo, ram.

see, I got dicked over by AMD with the 939 socket which was right before AM2. I turned that x2 4400 into a MPC with HD3850(AGP!!! lawl) taking care of the DxVA though, so that's all good. See where I'm coming from now?

I heard a while ago AMD has a good synergy going on with its processors and video cards. Is this still true? If it is, then I'd have to go with AMD.

... Despite having an Intel Core 2 Duo in my laptop. :o

The BuShA owns all!

Vertigo-X said:
I heard a while ago AMD has a good synergy going on with its processors and video cards. Is this still true? If it is, then I'd have to go with AMD.

... Despite having an Intel Core 2 Duo in my laptop. :o

ATI video cards are superior in design atm vs Nvidia but Intel has the better CPUs right now. I just went Intel with ATI card obviously.