By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Open-ended vs Linear 3D Mario

Soleron said:
scottie said:
Soleron said:

Yeah, I am getting the impression that I am alone in think this... Oh well :P

I, however, did not notice many places in SM64 in which there were many different methods of getting to X platform, whereas SMG had a decent amount, especially if you were playing as luigi (higher jump was useful in many places to find an alternate route).

I found plenty of places when I last played it through. Conversely, I found almost no places where that was true in SMG. We'll have to disagree here. Can you give another example of your kind of alternative in a SMG star?

It is not true that you had to "collect the stars within a world in a fixed order." in SMG. It may be in SMG2, I haven't played it. And even if it were true, I wouldn't describe that as "where you have multiple choices as to where to go, that actually have an effect upon the gameplay" so I don't consider that to be true open world, unlike in Zelda (the original) or Megaman, where you can beat the levels in any order AND this effects the gameplay of the levels you play afterwards.

Yes, it IS true in SMG. Go back and look. You had to do Star 1, then Star 2, then Star 3 in a galaxy. For the other part, I'm not saying SM64 is truly non-linear in all respects, just that it is less linear than SMG in that you have more possible stars in a world you can do at one time and that the game isn't pointing you in the direction you need to go next constantly, leaving room for exploration and discovery. Few games are truly non-linear today (as Zelda I was), so most people are comparing them relative to one another on those terms.

Just out of interest, which would you consider less linear - Metroid Prime or Metroid Fusion?

So I suppose, being as I don't get to define what 'open world' means, I shall change my answer to 'I prefer the linear style of SMG because even though there was less potential for exploring then in SM64, I personally found more alternate ways to solve the puzzles than I personally did in SM64, where I and my friends almost always found one solution that was a lot more obvious than the others'

That's fair.

Can't provide an example off the top of my head because its bee quite a while since I played Galaxy, much longer than since I played SM64 infact. I may end up playing both of them tonight, if I can get my homework done that is. Shall also go back and check out the playing in order thing.

I'm going to have to shock and apall you again by revealing that I have never played metroid Fusion.

Around the Network

i gotta tell ya i love galaxy but i do miss the openness of sunshine and 64.

makingmusic476 said:
Avalach21 said:
i want a full open ended 3d mario, as open as Zelda, but still be platforming based, obviously

Now that would be crazy.  But I could kinda see it working.

I'd like Mario to return to the SM64/SMS design.  Have distinct levels with numerous stars you must find per level, while also retaining a large and robust hub world full of secrets that makes it fun to explore.  Don't make the hubworld totally boring like in SMG1.  I understand why they axed the hubworld in SMG2, because the hubworld was basically a waste of time in SMG1.

i dont want to derail your thread, but i always thought that would be cool.  to have the open world.  Like the mario RPGs, but not actually be an RPG, and still be a platformer.

You could run back to town, buy power ups for your inventory with your coins.  get some tanooki suits, some fire flowers.  Ride yoshi back to cheap cheap beach, swim under water to find the star.  Go to the forst of illusion, get the next power start there.  Then chocolate island is unlocked etc... but all in a gigantic world.

sorry for rambling, but on the topic of exploration vs. linearity, i always wanted a 3D mario game with that much freedom.  I wanted to be able to run around the map of Super mario world, but as one big island with no loading screens

Here's a video from my band's last show Check out more (bigger) videos here http://www.youtube.com/user/icemanout
Avalach21 said:
makingmusic476 said:
Avalach21 said:
i want a full open ended 3d mario, as open as Zelda, but still be platforming based, obviously

Now that would be crazy.  But I could kinda see it working.

I'd like Mario to return to the SM64/SMS design.  Have distinct levels with numerous stars you must find per level, while also retaining a large and robust hub world full of secrets that makes it fun to explore.  Don't make the hubworld totally boring like in SMG1.  I understand why they axed the hubworld in SMG2, because the hubworld was basically a waste of time in SMG1.

i dont want to derail your thread, but i always thought that would be cool.  to have the open world.  Like the mario RPGs, but not actually be an RPG, and still be a platformer.

You could run back to town, buy power ups for your inventory with your coins.  get some tanooki suits, some fire flowers.  Ride yoshi back to cheap cheap beach, swim under water to find the star.  Go to the forst of illusion, get the next power start there.  Then chocolate island is unlocked etc... but all in a gigantic world.

sorry for rambling, but on the topic of exploration vs. linearity, i always wanted a 3D mario game with that much freedom.  I wanted to be able to run around the map of Super mario world, but as one big island with no loading screens

Thinking about it more, that'd be really friggin' cool.  There'd be no stopping between stars either.  Though it's starting to sound more like an action/adventure than a platformer, but it'd have platforming as its core.  It's like Zelda meets Super Mario.

Both have their advantages and are both great types of games. But I would prefer a 3D Mario game that is very linear like the 2D games. One way to the goal. I think that is what Mario is all about. Of course I still loved 64 and Sunshine and being able to explore the level so either way both are fine with we, but I would still prefer the linear route.

Nintendo still doomed?
Feel free to add me on 3DS or Switch! (PM me if you do ^-^)
Nintendo ID: Mako91                  3DS code: 4167-4543-6089

Around the Network

Open ended, I like Sunshine and 64 much more than Galaxy.

Getting an XBOX One for me is like being in a bad relationship but staying together because we have kids. XBone we have 20000+ achievement points, 2+ years of XBL Gold and 20000+ MS points. I think its best we stay together if only for the MS points.

Nintendo Treehouse is what happens when a publisher is confident and proud of its games and doesn't need to show CGI lies for five minutes.

-Jim Sterling

SMG

when I played galaxy 1, I felt the same as you
but with galaxy 2 I figured out what I didn't like about the first
and that was all the little planets

now with galaxy 2 they did more open medium to big level
I think they came out with the perfect solution
cuz even tho I like sm64, I can't say that I liked all the levels
the same way why I never beat sunshine bcuz most of the level sucked (imo)
and I had no choice to keep playin in them to get all the stars

PS :I would like to explore the mushroom kingdom as a big level like in the paper mario games with toadtown the goombario town and others

Nintendo made me a gamer so I'd be stupid to ever try to forget that                                             like so many people nowadays

The Top  Best Consoles Are SNES and PSX 

Currently Playing: 1.Monster Hunter tri 2.MegaMan 10

supermario128 said:
Both have their advantages and are both great types of games. But I would prefer a 3D Mario game that is very linear like the 2D games. One way to the goal. I think that is what Mario is all about. Of course I still loved 64 and Sunshine and being able to explore the level so either way both are fine with we, but I would still prefer the linear route.

There's never been just one way to the goal, even in the first Mario game.  Some exploration has always been present in 2D Mario, with Mario World being the most blatant example: the game de-emphasized challenging platforming in favor of burying secrets left and right.

I preffer the linear 3D Mario, you don't get lost or anoyed
and the levels in Galaxy may not be really similar, which is better, honestly I preffer a totally differen objective vissiting different locations that doing almost the exact same thing