By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Open-ended vs Linear 3D Mario

This is a discussion I've seen pop up in various places like gaf, generally regarding Super Mario Galaxy's emphasis on 2D-Mario-ish level design or retrospectives on Super Mario Sunshine's more open level design.

Which do you guys prefer, the openness of Super Mario 64 and Super Mario Sunshine?  Or the linearity of Super Mario Galaxy 1/2 and Super Mario Sunshine's warp levels?

I'm definitely a bigger fan of SM64 and SMS.  I like being thrown into a level like Bomb Bomb Battlefield or Noki Bay, given a fairly non-descript objective, then having to figure out what the hell to do, enjoying the sights while I do so.  I find the levels in Super Mario Galaxy to be in general less fun in comparison, and also less memorable, given that you spend less time in each level (2-3 stars per level) and the level design often changes dramatically between stars.

I found most people seem to prefer the approach taken by the SMGs, though, if the community on gaf is anything to go by.  A few people fall on my side of the fence, but most disagree.

Of course, I'm also one of those oddballs that'd claim 3D Mario > 2D Mario.  Or at least I like SM64 and SMS better than 2D Mario.  I'd probably take SMB3 over SMG.  I think in the end I just like a little exploring in my games, so SM64 and SMS have an advantage over the others in my eyes.

Around the Network

i want a full open ended 3d mario, as open as Zelda, but still be platforming based, obviously

Here's a video from my band's last show Check out more (bigger) videos here http://www.youtube.com/user/icemanout

I disagree that SM64 is more linear than Galaxy 1, infact I think just the opposite. Haven't played Galaxy 2 or Sunshine, so all in all I'm contributing nothing to this discussion :P

Avalach21 said:
i want a full open ended 3d mario, as open as Zelda, but still be platforming based, obviously

Now that would be crazy.  But I could kinda see it working.

I'd like Mario to return to the SM64/SMS design.  Have distinct levels with numerous stars you must find per level, while also retaining a large and robust hub world full of secrets that makes it fun to explore.  Don't make the hubworld totally boring like in SMG1.  I understand why they axed the hubworld in SMG2, because the hubworld was basically a waste of time in SMG1.

scottie said:
I disagree that SM64 is more linear than Galaxy 1, infact I think just the opposite. Haven't played Galaxy 2 or Sunshine, so all in all I'm contributing nothing to this discussion :P

I didn't say it was?  Or are you saying that you think SM64 is more linear than SMG1?

Edit:

And how have you not even played Sunshine!?  <3 Sunshine.

Around the Network

Is it alright to like both. I think after playing SM64, Super Mario Sunshine, Galaxy 1, and halfway done with Galaxy 2 that I like both styles.

For me though, it really comes down to the core platforming in it, not necessarily discovering which way I have to go at the beginning of the level. And all of the games have excellent platforming gameplay. And that's why I like that they change it up a little bit, because it feels fresh every time I play it. To have a series that has Mario essentially doing the same things, yet each time the experience feels different whether an small open world or a somewhat "linear route" Nintendo still manages to make it seem fresh every time and craft it beautifully.

So I guess not a fiery answer that maybe people were expecting, but I like both and that reason is due to how well Nintendo makes their Mario platformers.

Well for one, I like Mario 64 and the Galaxies far more than Sunshine. So I guess for me it's not really about linearity so much as it's just about making a great game with interesting environments and powerups. Sunshine just didn't do that as well as the others. Also, I do appreciate how they got rid of the hub in Galaxy 2, making the game a bit more fast paced and linear.

As for the 2D games, I have and will probably always prefer the 2D Marios to the 3D ones. They just FEEL more like how a Mario game should be, and how a great in general should be. No BS, just get from start to end, dodge and kill enemies in your path, rack up your score, and get powerups. Fast paced arcade action, no story, no tutorials, no dialogue. Just solid adrenaline pumping gameplay. Of course, I do still enjoy the 3D Mario games, but they just aren't quite the same.

makingmusic476 said:
scottie said:

I didn't say it was?  Or are you saying that you think SM64 is more linear than SMG1?

Edit:

And how have you not even played Sunshine!?

I thought that was what you meant by "Which do you guys prefer, the openness of Super Mario 64 and Super Mario Sunshine?  Or the linearity of Super Mario Galxy 1/2" I would say that even if SM64 has a castle that has some stuff to do, this is outweighed by the many levels in galaxy that are completely open, many of the purple coin ones for instance, which I found much less linear than the 8 red coin levels in 64.

I'm not sure how I haven't played it tbh. It confuses me too.

Zucas said:
Is it alright to like both. I think after playing SM64, Super Mario Sunshine, Galaxy 1, and halfway done with Galaxy 2 that I like both styles.

For me though, it really comes down to the core platforming in it, not necessarily discovering which way I have to go at the beginning of the level. And all of the games have excellent platforming gameplay. And that's why I like that they change it up a little bit, because it feels fresh every time I play it. To have a series that has Mario essentially doing the same things, yet each time the experience feels different whether an small open world or a somewhat "linear route" Nintendo still manages to make it seem fresh every time and craft it beautifully.

So I guess not a fiery answer that maybe people were expecting, but I like both and that reason is due to how well Nintendo makes their Mario platformers.

Well, I like both, as I'm sure most Mario fans do, but I definitely prefer one over the other.

And I agree, it's remarkable how Nintendo can keep such an old franchise fresh even to this day.

Like both; prefer Mario 64 and Sunshine's style. But Galaxy was a better game that Sunshine because of the music.