By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Ex-Microsoft Studio Boss: 'Natal Will Fail'

kowenicki said:

why would studios create games for MOVE only?

They won't, they will port Wii games to Move

Around the Network

this guy said what ive been thinking not just for natal but move aswell, there both hurting each other and cancelling each other out forcing developers to go back to classic controllers to get the full ps360 install base

Asmo said:
kowenicki said:

lol, yes flood the Move market with wii ports. Woot!

Seriously, I think MS made sure that Wii games can't be ported to Natal easily on purpose. I mean, other than Nintendo titles, which will not be on natal anyways, how many other wii games have been a huge commercial success? You could probably count them on 1 hand...

If you look at this guys development history, I think MS will be overjoyed if they can keep this guy off Natal so they don't clutter the market with mediocre titles.

See the problem is. Nintendo have more vision and ballz in there left tit then the hole rest of the industry all ganged up togueter.

Thats why they fail.

Motion games are yesterday already.

Ex-Microsoft Studio Boss Clarifies Natal Comments

Tom Hopkins 09:30, Friday 28 May 2010

Scot Bayless has responded to NowGamer's story, calling Project Natal potentially 'transformative'

We published a piece yesterday featuring quotes from the veteran games industry exec, which compared Project Natal to Sega's doomed console add-on, the 32X. Bayless contacted us to clarify his views on Natal.

He told us he departed Microsoft - on good terms - eight years ago. "I left MS in 2002 to join EA." he told NowGamer, "six years before that meeting in 2008. I did so under friendly circumstances, with good wishes from colleagues and my boss at the time, Ed Fries."

“I was very impressed by the potential of Natal”

Bayless also told us that his comments back in 2008 were only meant to aid the company. "When I met with Microsoft in 2008 to get an early look at Natal, my comment was actually offered as constructive feedback."

"I was VERY impressed by the potential of Natal, but my experience at Sega taught me that splintering your target market with peripherals is an extremely risky proposition at best. Most console peripherals don't succeeed. A path to either bundling or integration for Natal technology, however, could be transformative."

Around the Network

Nice sig Skeekuk lol

PSN: Saugeen-Uwo     Feel free to add me (put Vg Chartz as MSG)!

Nintendo Network ID: Saugeen-Uwo

I think his point is that MS either has to seriously back it or it's not going to really succeed. I think he's right.

I actually thought that MS was seriously getting behind Natal, but I suppose at this point it's just words. We'll know how serious MS is by the end of the year.

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.

a little butthurt about being fired much?

Official member of the Xbox 360 Squad

Asmo said:
kowenicki said:

"If it doesn't work on Wii, don't try it on Move"

Natal will fail. Move will fail. My two cents. You're not going to drastically boost your marketshare by tacking on a peripheral that will split development for games. Unless you give those with PS3s and 360s already a free unit of Move or Natal, and then package the peripheral in all further inventory. That way a Move or Natal game will accessible to the entire userbase. Otherwise, it'll be just like he said...developers will spend 10s of millions while 90% of their total market won't even be able to play their game.

And their won't be a killer app for these peripherals either. I don't care how good the game is, I'm not going to spend $210 (rumored: $150) to play a $60 Natal game. Or $140 (rumored: $80) on a $60 Move game. Sure, Wii Fit sold 20M with a peripheral, but hey, the Wii is for women and children. They'll buy anything, right?

Amazing all the juvenile responeses saying "fired LOL BUTTHURT"

At the price they are asking, it won't do well - it's just a slightly better eyetoy, while having all the problems of the eyetoy.
If few people buy it, why on earth would devs back it? Unlike Move, which is just a different pad interface, the selling point of Natal is you don't need a pad at all. Well that's going to really limit the games on it.