By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - What exclusives does the Xbox have?

JonnyAtlas said:
I think what CGI is forgetting in this discussion is the fact that the "Games for Windows Live" = same brand (just as PS3 and PSP are the "same brand" in his eyes). M$ is getting a chunk of each of those sales (which are being played on one of their "systems", lest we forget M$ has a massive market share on the personal computer). They still require a Live membership on top of it (Sliver to play/save, Gold for multiplayer), so the only real difference for M$ is which package it sells in. So, in that sense, there is no more basis for excluding exclusives like Gears than there is for excluding exclusives like LBP. They are still exclusive to M$ as a brand.

What you're forgetting is

The same experience! Or take Mass Effect 2 for example:

The same experience. But as for the PSP/PS3 argument.

Not the same experience. Its not even the same game. Non, or very few, of the levels of LBP PSP are in the PS3 version.

Exclusives matters.. no matter how the economics of releasing multiplatform games works. You get the same experience playing L4D2 on the 360 as you do on the PC. And thats not the case with the PSP/PS3.

As for the same brand. Nobody is thinking "oh i bought myself a cool new Microsoft computer". But people do think "oh i bought myself a playstation portable or playstation 3". Thats where exclusives play their part. If you can brand exclusives to your hardware, people will eventually buy it. But if they can get their hands on it on another platform that they already have, they're not going to add that to the incentive to purchase a games console. In SONYs case, if you own a PS3 and you like LBP, releasing it on the PSP wont reduce the urge to get a game you like in a portable way. It wont hinder PSP sales, or PS3 sales.

Microsoft knows this, and thats why they have certain games as exclusives. Halo for example would be a perfect PC game with the FPS competitiveness. 

Around the Network

There's a good deal of games that release on PC/360 -- Left 4 Dead being one of them -- that I absolutely hate playing on the 360. I own it on 360 (Because I have a friend who is a Mac user) and PC, and I essentially never play it on the 360 unless I absolutely have to play with that group of IRL friends.

I would argue that there's a pretty important difference. There's also a pretty good reason why most games don't allow PC/360 cross play: because historically when it's been allowed, it hasn't been a level playing field. Console players can't keep up. Not because they're bad or unskilled or anything, but because the controller is simply patently inferior for the skill-oriented, competitive genres (FPS, TPS, RTS).

Which all points to the suggestion that it isn't the same experience. I'm honestly not sure what is closer -- the PSP and PS3 are obviously far different on a technological level, but their control mechanisms are very similar. The 360 iterations of games are typically only slightly inferior to the PC version on a technical level, but the input methods are vastly different. Personally, I'm far more concerned with input method than I am technological advantage, but it's a matter of preference.

On topic: Fable III, Mass Effect 3, and several others mentioned are not 360 exclusives. The list of major titles exclusive to the system is fairly low at the moment, but I suspect a fairly substantial Natal reveal forthcoming.

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">

I don't know if anyone has mentioned this yet but feelplus is suppose to be doing a big budget jrpg for microsoft.

http://www.siliconera.com/2010/01/11/feelplus-developing-a-large-scale-rpg-for-microsoft/

I hope they announce it at e3 and if it's anywhere as good as lost odyssey I will be very happy.

As someone who games on both PC and 360 (and has played many of the cross-platform games on both), I have to disagree on three levels.
One:
The playing experience on a PC and the playing experience on the 360 are VASTLY different. If they weren't, do you really think PC gamers would "wait for a confirmation of a PC release"? Of course not. As Bodhesatva already pointed out, the input methods are completely different, creating a totally different pace and skill level. To say PC and 360 are the same gaming experience is rediculious (unless you are, for some reason, using a controller for your PC gaming instead of mouse and keyboard, in which case you're just crazy).
Two:
They don't say "oh I bought myself a cool new Microsoft computer", they say "oh I bought myself a cool new Windows computer". Just about every PC gamer runs Windows. I they are running Linux or OSX, they have a dual boot setup. Why? Because the PC is a Microsoft exclusive gaming system. This is slowly changing (Steam on Mac), but it will always remain thus. The fact that Steam now runs on Macs just proves my point more. By making their games "for Windows Live", they are ENSURING that anyone who plays said game is doing so on THEIR system. No matter how you try to frame it, it is still Microsoft exclusivity. The games still only run on Microsoft systems. Those who don't drop $299 on a 360 drop close to $200 on the Windows OS, then even more on Office, etc. I assure you, the PC gamers are not hurting Microsoft at all. They are still putting money in their pockets and contributing to market share.
Three:
I disagree that Halo would be a perfect PC game, with evidence to support my point. The fact of the matter is, they released both Halo and Halo 2 on PC (Link: http://www.gamespot.com/pc/action/halo2/index.html - again, Games for Windows Live). They sold so poorly you weren't even aware they did so. They weren't going to invest the money in developing a PC version of Halo 3, ODST or Reach when their first two attempts bombed. The only reason they don't release certain exclusive game on PC is because they realize there is no market for them on the system. It has nothing to do with 360 sales because, as stated above, they still have the market exclusivity on the game. One less 360 sale by a PC gamer is one more Windows PC sale. Saying an exclusive game released for Windows Live isn't exclusive is 

As someone who games on both PC and 360 (and has played many of the cross-platform games on both), I have to disagree on three levels.

One:

The playing experience on a PC and the playing experience on the 360 are VASTLY different. If they weren't, do you really think PC gamers would "wait for a confirmation of a PC release"? Of course not. As Bodhesatva already pointed out, the input methods are completely different, creating a totally different pace and skill level. To say PC and 360 produce the same experience is ridiculous (unless you're, for some reason, using a controller for your PC gaming instead of mouse and keyboard, in which case you're just crazy).

Two:

They don't say "oh I bought myself a cool new Microsoft computer" because they say "oh I bought myself a cool new Windows computer". Just about every PC gamer runs Windows. If they are running Linux or OSX, they have a dual boot setup. Why? Because the PC is a Microsoft exclusive gaming system. This is slowly changing (Steam on Mac), but it will always remain thus. The fact that Steam now runs on Macs just proves my point further. By making their games "for Windows Live", they are ENSURING that anyone who plays said game is doing so on THEIR system. No matter how you try to frame it, it is still Microsoft exclusivity. The games still only run on Microsoft systems. Those who don't drop $299 on a 360 drop close to $200 on the Windows OS, then even more on Office, etc. I assure you, the PC gamers are not hurting Microsoft at all. They are still putting money in their pockets and contributing to market share.

Three:

I disagree that Halo would be a perfect PC game, with evidence to support my point. The fact of the matter is, they released both Halo and Halo 2 on PC (Link. Again, Games for Windows Live). They sold so poorly you weren't even aware they did so. They weren't going to invest the money in developing a PC version of Halo 3, ODST or Reach when their first two attempts bombed. The only reason they don't release certain exclusive games on PC is because they realize there is no market for them on the system. It has nothing to do with 360 sales because, as stated above, they still have the market exclusivity on the game. One less 360 sale by a PC gamer is one more Windows PC sale. Saying an exclusive game released for Windows Live isn't exclusive is ignoring that the game is still played on a Microsoft system.

Thence we came forth
To rebehold the stars... 

CGI-Quality said:
mundus6 said:
Depends on what you mean with exclusives. If you mean games that are only on 360 and not for PC then yes there isn't that many games coming. But neither is there for PS3, last time i checked (this year). But I'm sure both MS and Sony will have loads of titles announced for E3, most of them will probably be move and natal titles though and i probably wont buy neither.

Well, if we include all exclusives for 2010:

PS3

HEAVY RAIN

MAG

Yakuza 3

God of War III

White Knight Chronicles

ModNation Racers

3D Dot Game Heroes

LittleBIGPlanet 2

Gran Turismo 5

Socom 4

And that's what has released and/or we KNOW of.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't ModNation Racers also available on the PSP?

Around the Network
CGI-Quality said:
STEKSTAV said:
JonnyAtlas said:
I think what CGI is forgetting in this discussion is the fact that the "Games for Windows Live" = same brand (just as PS3 and PSP are the "same brand" in his eyes). M$ is getting a chunk of each of those sales (which are being played on one of their "systems", lest we forget M$ has a massive market share on the personal computer). They still require a Live membership on top of it (Sliver to play/save, Gold for multiplayer), so the only real difference for M$ is which package it sells in. So, in that sense, there is no more basis for excluding exclusives like Gears than there is for excluding exclusives like LBP. They are still exclusive to M$ as a brand.

What you're forgetting is

The same experience! Or take Mass Effect 2 for example:

The same experience. But as for the PSP/PS3 argument.

Not the same experience. Its not even the same game. Non, or very few, of the levels of LBP PSP are in the PS3 version.

Exclusives matters.. no matter how the economics of releasing multiplatform games works. You get the same experience playing L4D2 on the 360 as you do on the PC. And thats not the case with the PSP/PS3.

As for the same brand. Nobody is thinking "oh i bought myself a cool new Microsoft computer". But people do think "oh i bought myself a playstation portable or playstation 3". Thats where exclusives play their part. If you can brand exclusives to your hardware, people will eventually buy it. But if they can get their hands on it on another platform that they already have, they're not going to add that to the incentive to purchase a games console. In SONYs case, if you own a PS3 and you like LBP, releasing it on the PSP wont reduce the urge to get a game you like in a portable way. It wont hinder PSP sales, or PS3 sales.

Microsoft knows this, and thats why they have certain games as exclusives. Halo for example would be a perfect PC game with the FPS competitiveness. 

Again, you seem to be the only one that gets it.

I thought I was the only one that got it! I have a PC and a X360 and the only games I got on my X360 is Halo 3 and Gears 2. I want games I can't experience on my PC (and that I have a general interest in ofcourse xD).

In a thread asking which exclusive games ARE COMING for the 360, why is there a list of games already released on the PS3?

JonnyAtlas said:

One:
The playing experience on a PC and the playing experience on the 360 are VASTLY different. If they weren't, do you really think PC gamers would "wait for a confirmation of a PC release"? Of course not. As Bodhesatva already pointed out, the input methods are completely different, creating a totally different pace and skill level. To say PC and 360 are the same gaming experience is rediculious (unless you are, for some reason, using a controller for your PC gaming instead of mouse and keyboard, in which case you're just crazy).
Two:
They don't say "oh I bought myself a cool new Microsoft computer", they say "oh I bought myself a cool new Windows computer". Just about every PC gamer runs Windows. I they are running Linux or OSX, they have a dual boot setup. Why? Because the PC is a Microsoft exclusive gaming system. This is slowly changing (Steam on Mac), but it will always remain thus. The fact that Steam now runs on Macs just proves my point more. By making their games "for Windows Live", they are ENSURING that anyone who plays said game is doing so on THEIR system. No matter how you try to frame it, it is still Microsoft exclusivity. The games still only run on Microsoft systems. Those who don't drop $299 on a 360 drop close to $200 on the Windows OS, then even more on Office, etc. I assure you, the PC gamers are not hurting Microsoft at all. They are still putting money in their pockets and contributing to market share.
Three:
I disagree that Halo would be a perfect PC game, with evidence to support my point. The fact of the matter is, they released both Halo and Halo 2 on PC (Link: http://www.gamespot.com/pc/action/halo2/index.html - again, Games for Windows Live). They sold so poorly you weren't even aware they did so. They weren't going to invest the money in developing a PC version of Halo 3, ODST or Reach when their first two attempts bombed. The only reason they don't release certain exclusive game on PC is because they realize there is no market for them on the system. It has nothing to do with 360 sales because, as stated above, they still have the market exclusivity on the game. One less 360 sale by a PC gamer is one more Windows PC sale. Saying an exclusive game released for Windows Live isn't exclusive is 

One:

The playing experience on a PC and the playing experience on the 360 are VASTLY different. If they weren't, do you really think PC gamers would "wait for a confirmation of a PC release"? Of course not. As Bodhesatva already pointed out, the input methods are completely different, creating a totally different pace and skill level. To say PC and 360 produce the same experience is ridiculous (unless you're, for some reason, using a controller for your PC gaming instead of mouse and keyboard, in which case you're just crazy).

Two:

They don't say "oh I bought myself a cool new Microsoft computer" because they say "oh I bought myself a cool new Windows computer". Just about every PC gamer runs Windows. If they are running Linux or OSX, they have a dual boot setup. Why? Because the PC is a Microsoft exclusive gaming system. This is slowly changing (Steam on Mac), but it will always remain thus. The fact that Steam now runs on Macs just proves my point further. By making their games "for Windows Live", they are ENSURING that anyone who plays said game is doing so on THEIR system. No matter how you try to frame it, it is still Microsoft exclusivity. The games still only run on Microsoft systems. Those who don't drop $299 on a 360 drop close to $200 on the Windows OS, then even more on Office, etc. I assure you, the PC gamers are not hurting Microsoft at all. They are still putting money in their pockets and contributing to market share.

Three:

I disagree that Halo would be a perfect PC game, with evidence to support my point. The fact of the matter is, they released both Halo and Halo 2 on PC (Link. Again, Games for Windows Live). They sold so poorly you weren't even aware they did so. They weren't going to invest the money in developing a PC version of Halo 3, ODST or Reach when their first two attempts bombed. The only reason they don't release certain exclusive games on PC is because they realize there is no market for them on the system. It has nothing to do with 360 sales because, as stated above, they still have the market exclusivity on the game. One less 360 sale by a PC gamer is one more Windows PC sale. Saying an exclusive game released for Windows Live isn't exclusive is ignoring that the game is still played on a Microsoft system.

One

Yes they control differently and the pace is not the same. But take Mass Effect for example, one of the greater stories in a game this gen, if you've played it on the PC you're not going to go out and purchase a 360 so you can play ME2 on the 360 aswell. Because you've already played it. The incentive to buy the hardware for a certain game is lost. Just imagine if all of the console exclusive games had been exclusive to the 360, the incentive to purchase a 360 would be greater than if the 360 didnt have any exclusives at all. Its really simple.. 1+1=2. And all console makers knows the importance of branding your hardware with exclusives. Even microsoft.

Two

No, no one thinks "oh i bought myself a cool new Windows computer"! Thats not true at all. They either go, "oh i bought myself a Laptop" or "I bought myself one hell of a gaming rig". Games released on the PC dosent help in branding Microsofts game division in any way. As for the Sony counterpart, which is why we're having this discussion about games within the same brand, is different. Same goes for Nintendo who also does portables. If theres alot of games you want on the portable version, that has the big brother counterpart on the main console, its not going to stop you from purchasing either one because its not the same experience. If you've played LBP on the PS3, its not going to spoil the story or experience on the PSP version. It might even give you a bigger urge to pick up the portable version since you love the concept at platforming, but want it as you travel. 

Three

Thats because Halo as a franchise is a console game first, PC game second. Just look at Modern Warfare 2 for example. Just because its a FPS, dosen't mean it will be a success just off the bat, even though it sold like 15m on the consoles. PC gamers want a PC games. Counter Strike which is in many ways inferior to Call of Duty, is still being played and have huge success within the PC market.

Bottom line is, true blue exclusives matter. They do play their part. And one shouldnt downplay their importance in branding a console or creating demand. And thats exactly why Microsoft has certain games as exclusives, just like sony and ninty. And thats also why alot of us wants to see MS announce a new first party IP at E3.

@CGI
I think you are on the generally right track, but slightly off. The PSP and PS3 offer different gaming experiences, but the same is true to a lesser extent with the PC. Yopu will notice that in the same way Microsoft holds some titles as strictly 360, Sony holds some titles as strictly PSP/PSe despite the other being capable of running it or a similar game. There is a good line between the PSP and PS3 but only because it is drawn with games. The basic control set-up of the two extremely similar, so in many cases it is an active decision to make the two sets of games different.

Of course I still agree with the underlying aspect. Even if you are set to receive benefits from both platforms you want to make sure there is reason enough for people to want either one. I just think you under estimate the importance of maintaining that through all product lines. It is understanding this that I think has helped Nintendo through the years. Maintaining the hand-held line as distinct and different has let them keep a huge source of revenue and profit while they worked out a good home console approach.

Starcraft 2 ID: Gnizmo 229

we're still talking about 360 Vs. MS exclusive???? last time I check that forum is still called Microsoft.... and as long as MSW is the leading OS on gaming PCs... I don't see why MSGS would stop develop or distribute their IPs on both at the same time and still be called exclusive... if MS holds the rights it's exclusive to MS end of discussion....
now when was the last time MS didn't come up with a descent line up of exclusives coming in the next year or 2.... I'm really not worried about that