By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Should Nintendo invest more in the West?

Should Nintendo invest more in the West?

Yes 24 66.67%

No 12 33.33%

Total:36

I believe they should invest more in the West, as long as they are careful about doing so. The trick is how to do this without making the Western influence too strong, something neither Nintendo nor most of its fans want. I'm not sure I know the answer, though I do think the current divestiture wasn't really necessary.

Complexity is not depth. Machismo is not maturity. Obsession is not dedication. Tedium is not challenge. Support gaming: support the Wii.

Be the ultimate ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today! Poisson Village welcomes new players.

What do I hate about modern gaming? I hate tedium replacing challenge, complexity replacing depth, and domination replacing entertainment. I hate the outsourcing of mechanics to physics textbooks, art direction to photocopiers, and story to cheap Hollywood screenwriters. I hate the confusion of obsession with dedication, style with substance, new with gimmicky, old with obsolete, new with evolutionary, and old with time-tested.
There is much to hate about modern gaming. That is why I support the Wii.

Around the Network

::looks at the 13 most successful video games of all time::

I'm pretty sure the gaming capital of the world is in Kyoto, possibly somewhere in Miyamoto's office. If we ask him where he does most of his brainstorming, we could probably pinpoint the exact GPS location.

My favorite western developers are either Will Wright, Valve, Blizzard, indie, or retired. I don't think Nintendo needs more western developers or more western-themed games. I like how carefully they pick and choose what to make. So far I've been happy with everything by Next Level Games and Retro.

I think we need to look at how the products produced in these regions fair rather the regions themselves. Nintendo hasn't seen great success from any of their western developers save for Rare in the 90s and Retro. Most of the other studios made titles that did very little. However, their Japanese partners have given them great success. For them, look at it this way, it may be better to stick at home.

I agree that Nintendo's Miyamoto makes the greatest games and that their Japanese studios for the most part have been fairly good at giving us AAA+ content. But I wouldn't mind seeing StarFox done by Factor5 or maybe Donkey Kong by another developer. Nintendo needs more developers to capitalize on all of its franchises just look how well Retro did managing the Prime series. I would really like to see Nintendo Of Canada for example expanding to take advantage of the tens of thousands of developers in Canada especially in cities like Vancouver , Toronto or Montreal!

-JC7

"In God We Trust - In Games We Play " - Joel Reimer

They need to give donkey kong to a western compagny because when nintendo control donkey kong, he acting more like scooby doo than a gorilla.

Or Sakurai could make donkey kong game , in brawl DK and Didi was perfect

Sequel I want the most :

Patapon 3 , Elite beat Agent 2 , ROTK 12 , Mother 4, Legend of legaia      3, Resident Evil outbreak 3.

Favorite Youtube poop        McDonnald                 Morshu              

Around the Network

I agree with Ghost of RubangB, I mean Vancouver the gaming capital of the world? Really? I don't know, maybe if the world demanded "Rush: The game" or 'let's churn maple syrup!" for the Wii then maybe. Anyway, on a more serious note, Nintendo should continue to invest in Japan. Team Ninja's work on Metroid looks to be fantastic so far, Monolith Soft looks like it's turning out to be a wise purchase and Team Sora should be working on something about now. Nintendo needs a western partner about as much as it needs a hole in the head.

I don't own a Wii yet but I say no they don't need to invest more in the west. If they decided to invest more in the west then their system would start to look similar to the ps3 and 360. With a few exceptions most western developers like making shooters or games that take place in a first person perspective.

I would rather have Nintendo continue to make games and get games that are clearly japanese and have its own unique artstyle with colorful vibrant graphics like mario, zelda, metroid, xenoblade, the last story, fire emblem, muramasa demon blade etc. It helps differentiate its system from the others and gives me a reason to consider buying it.