By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - It's finally happened. I have been enticed to buy a PS3.. Reccomendations?

Metallicube said:

Sony is finally starting to build up quite a nice library for its console

I wanna respect opinions and all, but...huh? It's May 2010, and you're just now saying that? Have you been living under a rock?

Around the Network

Well, as some have already recommended, my first suggestion to you is without a doubt, Demon's Souls.

It's pretty much the best game of this generation, for me, as it offered a very unique approach to the RPG scheme. It's a game were your individual skill means pretty much everything. The rate at with you evolve in the game, how far can you go, how much can you find and how well you fare, it's all up to how your playing style adapts to the hardships that the game throws.

Pretty much, it's like Ghouls and Goblins meets Diablo, with a heavy King's Field feeling too.

As for how much time consuming the game can get, it also depends heavily on two factors:

- Skill, once again, is a major factor, since you can breeze through the game once you pretty much know every enemy move, level layout, weapon balance and how to properly set up and use your magics. This will mean that the first playthrough will be, unquestionably, the longest one, which can take up somewhere between the 30 - 60 hour mark.

- How much you want to take out of the game. The game itself is a bit short, with only 5 worlds with 3 individual stages that are interconnected (except world 1 which has 4 stages), but each stages holds different type of unique events that can only be unlocked once specific conditions are met. Those conditions will take some time to fulfill, and one of them makes the game much harder than it already is.
Also, there is the weapon and shield upgrade system, using both Stones or Demons Souls (no, it's not a play on the game's name , they are the souls that are dropped from bosses), which opens up new strategic value to the game, but some Stones can take you quite some hours and grinding to get, if you're unlucky.

Combining these two factors, the game itself can be as short as 30 hours, if you're only interested in finishing it without exploring it's possibilities, or it can go well above 100 hours if you dabble in each corner and secret that it has.

And that's without even counting the online factor of the game. PvP alone will extend those hours by a long stretch, especially if you don't get your character into high Soul Levels. I say this, because my SL 253 character rarelly finds anyone online to duel, as most gamers have either moved on into the top tier SL (600-712), or have de-levelled to low SL (80-160) to hunt for beginners.

So, all in all, it's a much recommended buy, and pretty much a good gaming experience, if you're up to the challenge and have the patience and mental fortitude to overcome the hardships that it posses

Current PC Build

CPU - i7 8700K 3.7 GHz (4.7 GHz turbo) 6 cores OC'd to 5.2 GHz with Watercooling (Hydro Series H110i) | MB - Gigabyte Z370 HD3P ATX | Gigabyte GTX 1080ti Gaming OC BLACK 11G (1657 MHz Boost Core / 11010 MHz Memory) | RAM - Corsair DIMM 32GB DDR4, 2400 MHz | PSU - Corsair CX650M (80+ Bronze) 650W | Audio - Asus Essence STX II 7.1 | Monitor - Samsung U28E590D 4K UHD, Freesync, 1 ms, 60 Hz, 28"

I would recommend Killzone 2 and Resistance series. Some say both Killzone and Resistance are crap but I loved them both so much and you might love them as well so worth mentioning to ya.

Move Uncharted 2 out of the maybe list, and into the "on the way to the shops to buy" list

makingmusic476 said:
I know it's being recommended a lot, but I'd actualy recommend skipping Killzone 2, as much as I hate to say it. LBP and Demon's Souls alone will give you 200+ hours of content to run through, and between those two, SMG2, and all the other games coming this year, you might as well just wait until Killzone 3 drops next year, as it seems to be fixing every small complaint people had with Killzone 2. It's not like you'll be missing much story-wise anyhow (the weak narrative was my biggest issue with KZ2).

That's a smart tip if you ask me.

Ps: by the way, whether you play it now or anytime later, GET Demon's Souls.

Around the Network

noone mentioned 3d dot game heroes???

So many good games.. here we go.

Uncharted 1 & 2, Killzone 2, InFamous, God of War collection and GoW3, Heavy Rain, MAG, Resistance 1 & 2, MGS4, ModNation Racers, Little Big Planet.

Yeah I know it's obvious those are all exclusive but you having a 360 I'm assuming you've played a lot of multiplatform titles that are already available on the PS3 as well.

Proud owner of the PSone original, PSone slim, PS2 slim, PS3 slim, PSP-3000.

37 PS3 games and counting.

sepisfu said:
congratulation
and yeah you need bigger HDD, most of the games need install , eg. mgs4 needs 4gig but on average most games need 1 gig so go for 80 gig in my opinion

i wanna recommend a bluray set, buy Planet Earth it is a master piece , this set shows you the advantage of having bluray player trust me

as far as games go:
lbp is a must buy,
GowIII . heavy rain, killzone 2, uncharted2, and 3d dot games are good games

psn games:
flower, critic crunch, Digger HD. superdust HD, fatprincess, pixeljunk monster, and mushroom wars

Heh yeah I was thinking of getting that Planet Earth movie actually, seems like a nice movie to chill out to. I'm probably also going to
pick up The Dark Knight and Star Trek.

BMaker11 said:
Metallicube said:

Sony is finally starting to build up quite a nice library for its console

I wanna respect opinions and all, but...huh? It's May 2010, and you're just now saying that? Have you been living under a rock?

Honestly, there just wasn't much on the PS3 for awhile that appealed to me. LBP and MLB The Show were really the only ones for a very long time. And most of the good 3rd party games were also on 360, which I own. But once games like Uncharted 1 and 2, Rachet and Clank, Fat Princess, GoW3, and Demon Souls came out, the library started to look more appealing.

Munkeh111 said:
Move Uncharted 2 out of the maybe list, and into the "on the way to the shops to buy" list

Oh believe me I will get it sooner or later, but I wanna stick with Uncharted 1 and soak that all in first, I only got so much money to throw around :P

I don't think that buying an used old PS3 40 gb model is a good choice, if it's only 99 bucks less than a new slim. It may die on you soon and the service is way more expensive than the current difference. IMO

MY HYPE LIST: 1) Gran Turismo 5; 2) Civilization V; 3) Starcraft II; 4) The Last Guardian; 5) Metal Gear Solid: Rising

As far as Killzone and Resistance, I feel kinda meh about those. Part of the reason being that I own and often play both Gears of Wars, which seem very similar, at least in appearance and art style, to those games. So I will probably pass on those games.

I am a little intrigued by MAG, however. I like the concept of 256 players all in one huge battle working in teams.