By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Google and Sony Top List of the World's Most Reputable Companies

dunno001 said:
I'm going to call BS on this list, based on the fact that there were so many criteria for cutting companies out of it that what was left for people to vote on may not have been some people's choices. I mean, really, companies like L'Oreal?? Heck, I could probably remove about a third of this list easily...

Why call BS on a survey composed from a random sample from 24 countries? Is there a certain company that you wanted on there that isn't on the list?

And what criteria are you talking about? You want to trash L'Oreal for being on there? Aren't they the #1 supplier for beauty products...which is an industry that affects like 85% of women, and to some degree, men too?

Around the Network

Why is Samsung so LOW?!!!

BMaker11 said:
dunno001 said:
I'm going to call BS on this list, based on the fact that there were so many criteria for cutting companies out of it that what was left for people to vote on may not have been some people's choices. I mean, really, companies like L'Oreal?? Heck, I could probably remove about a third of this list easily...

Why call BS on a survey composed from a random sample from 24 countries? Is there a certain company that you wanted on there that isn't on the list?

And what criteria are you talking about? You want to trash L'Oreal for being on there? Aren't they the #1 supplier for beauty products...which is an industry that affects like 85% of women, and to some degree, men too?

It doesn't come down to a specific company. Rather, it's nowhere near the first "reputation" list I've seen, nor will it be the last. And there are a few staple companies that always show up, which are mysteriously absent here, namely things like Wal-Mart, Toyota, Avon, and a couple of Chinese companies that I don't remember the names of, to show the tip of the iceberg. (Oh, and I would put Avon's reputation above L'Oreal, at least in this country.)

And the companies in this list? There's a bunch that I've never before seen in a list of this sort. Kowen mentioned Barilla, another one that I've never seen rank before. I'm not trying to claim that these companies make poor products, just that there are quite a few more well-known companies than some of these...

-dunno001

-On a quest for the truly perfect game; I don't think it exists...

Seihyouken said:
axumblade said:
leo-j said:
I disagree...

people are starting to feel that samsung is a better company that sony..

I can tell with the way people are buying things in best buy

You can't tell how 24 countries feel about Samsung and Sony by what you observed being sold in a Best Buy....That's 1 business out of countless other businesses, some of which are in countries that Best Buy's aren't in. Not only that but you're probably looking at a limited spectrum (Televisions). Samsung may be at the top of the game for televisions but they still have a lot of growing to do in other departments for the time being. Sony still have brand recognition for most of their products (Playstation, Vaio, Ericcson, Bravia, & Walkman), which is really what seems to be driving most of the titles in the top portion of the list.

You're thinking too small. Sony is a lot bigger than just their electronics business. Sony Music Entertainment is the second largest record music company in the world after Universal Music. Michael Jackson, Beyonce Knowles, Aerosmith, AC/DC, Johnny Cash, Brittany Spears, Madonna, Bob Dylan, Elvis Presley, Justin Timberlake, Journey, Pearl Jam, Usher, and the list goes on. They're all Sony artists. And then there is Sony Pictures Entertainment which is the fourth biggest film studio after Warner Bros, 20th Century Fox, and Paramount. Sony has their hands dipped in so many markets it's crazy. Hell, in Japan Sony Financial Holdings offers life insurance!

Seihyouken's got the right idea.  Sony extends beyond Bestbuy or any other electronic stores.

Fairly predictable if you ask me based on how they went about it. For those wondering about Nintendo, outside of gaming circles I doubt they resonate that highly compared to names people hear about or feel impacted by on a more regular basis.

Mind you I'm not sure I'd view all those as that reputable - but that's a different matter. Clearly those polled did so.

Try to be reasonable... its easier than you think...

Around the Network

But but but I thought Sony waz da 3vil? :P

Well WW Sony is VERY popular... not just gaming electronics in general...so GJ sony

As for Google, their measures taken in recent years have put them to be one of the few companies that take social corporate responsibility seriously...so not bad google, kiu

ps: I AM SHOCKED that BP isn't on top tho :P

In-Kat-We-Trust Brigade!

"This world is Merciless, and it's also very beautiful"

For All News/Info related to the PlayStation Vita, Come and join us in the Official PSV Thread!

Cross-X said:
Why is Samsung so LOW?!!!

lol have you used their cell phones lol

dunno001 said:
BMaker11 said:
dunno001 said:

It doesn't come down to a specific company. Rather, it's nowhere near the first "reputation" list I've seen, nor will it be the last. And there are a few staple companies that always show up, which are mysteriously absent here, namely things like Wal-Mart, Toyota, Avon, and a couple of Chinese companies that I don't remember the names of, to show the tip of the iceberg. (Oh, and I would put Avon's reputation above L'Oreal, at least in this country.)

And the companies in this list? There's a bunch that I've never before seen in a list of this sort. Kowen mentioned Barilla, another one that I've never seen rank before. I'm not trying to claim that these companies make poor products, just that there are quite a few more well-known companies than some of these...

Well known =/= reputable. A lot of people know of Vizio (at least in America). They make decent, yet affordable HDTVs. But no one holds them to the same standard of LG, Sony, and Samsung.

Again, you may not agree with this personally, but this is an aggregate made up of the opinions of many more people than just you and me. So how can you call BS? That's like surveying a bunch of people of what they're favorite foods are, and the #1 spot is chicken, and you come in and say "BS, I know of a lot of better foods than chicken". (of the top of my analogy, btw lol)

Here to me is what makes me question the study.

Each respondent rated a maximum of five randomly assigned companies with which they were familiar, using Reputation Institute's standardized measure of corporate reputation—the Reputation Pulse. A Reputation Pulse score is a measure of corporate reputation calculated by averaging the degree of trust, esteem, admiration, and good feeling people have for a company. Reputation Pulse scores range from a low of 0 to a high of 100, and scores that differ by more than +/-0.5 are significantly different at the 95% confidence level. Scores are normalized to enable cross-country compilations and comparisons.

Also, it appears the companies are either huge or multi-producted or both. Nintendo focuses on only one thing, so it may not have been picked for the original study. It seems hard to believe if it was that it would not have rated well enough in Japan to get to the final list.

Mike from Morgantown

I am Mario.

I like to jump around, and would lead a fairly serene and aimless existence if it weren't for my friends always getting into trouble. I love to help out, even when it puts me at risk. I seem to make friends with people who just can't stay out of trouble.

Wii Friend Code: 1624 6601 1126 1492

NNID: Mike_INTV

mike_intellivision said:
Here to me is what makes me question the study.

Each respondent rated a maximum of five randomly assigned companies with which they were familiar, using Reputation Institute's standardized measure of corporate reputation—the Reputation Pulse. A Reputation Pulse score is a measure of corporate reputation calculated by averaging the degree of trust, esteem, admiration, and good feeling people have for a company. Reputation Pulse scores range from a low of 0 to a high of 100, and scores that differ by more than +/-0.5 are significantly different at the 95% confidence level. Scores are normalized to enable cross-country compilations and comparisons.

Also, it appears the companies are either huge or multi-producted or both. Nintendo focuses on only one thing, so it may not have been picked for the original study. It seems hard to believe if it was that it would not have rated well enough in Japan to get to the final list.

Mike from Morgantown

Would it? Compared to all those other Japanese companies that affect so many more people in Japan, resulting in more exposure? Maybe in a "most reputable game company" survey would they make this list. But up against all these other consumer companies, Nintendo doesn't hold a candle. You're looking at this with angst because Sony is #2 because you're just thinking in terms of video games. Don't forget they make the best TVs, the best MP3 players not called the iPod, the Vaio (a laptop used by many people), camcorders, digital cameras, phones etc. And they're all great products. What does Nintendo make? The Wii and DS.....

Your criteria of huge or multi-producted is your crutch for why Nintendo isn't on there, but maybe people find these other companies more reputable because they are exposed to more of their products *because* they make so many different products.