By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo is no longer lazy, like IGN said so.

If you haven't noticed with all the flame against Nintendo that IGN had few months ago. Apparently Nintendo listened to them, and stepped. They put effort in SMG2. The effort I am talking about is Orchestral music over MIDI music. They had originally planned MIDI as you can see from the E3 trailer, but taking press's feedback, they added orchestral music. Clearly not lazy.

People have been talking a lot about the Metroid: Other M delay. I think there were two main reasons for such a delay.

1. It would be too close of a release to Sin and Punishment 2 and Super Mario Galaxy. Nintendo's own competition would be themselves.

2. Voice-Acting. If you read the previews of many reviewers, you would have noticed them saying something about how terrible the voice acting in the build was. Nintendo realized this, and decided to make it better while giving the game a slight delay.

This is purely a thought, but I think the voice acting, some fine-tuning and polish are the main reasons why Nintendo delayed Metroid: Other M. I respect them for this. Personally, I would not mind AT ALL if Zelda was pushed to next year in holiday-time, if the time was used to add voice-acting, more polish, more features, extras and all. I want a perfect Zelda experience, because you only get to experience it for the first time, once. I hope Nintendo continue to listen to feedback and incorporate it in to all their games. It just makes their game a leap beyond the competition.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare: Reflex Edition FC 0025-4434-1221

MSG ME AS YOU ADD.

Around the Network

Super Mario Galaxy had an orchestral music before Matt's "Nintendo is Lazy" tirade. And if you wanna be technical, Smash Bros. Melee on the Cube had many orchestral pieces as well. So...

I'd also be fine without voice-acting in Zelda, personally.

Believe me, Nintendo is not paying IGN any mind whatsoever.

I think Ign was harsh in their accusation of Nintendo being lazy. After all, if they were so lazy, why do their games prove to be of such high quality time and time again, miles beyond most other companies? why do they also receive sales that are miles beyond the competition?

However, part of me can see where they were coming from, even though they tend to over exaggerate and didn't quite explain their reasoning properly. I think the distaste they express comes not from existing franchises like Mario Galaxy, but more from the fact that Nintendo hasn't released many new Ips.

They've done a great job at trying new gaming concepts like Wii Fit, Vitality Sensor, etc. But in terms of core ips, with new characters and environments, that TRULY incorporate great motion controls, we haven't seen much of. For instance, something like Zangeki. We need more of that. How about a brand new FPS, fighting franchise, or adventure game that incorporates motion plus for example? They at least need to take more of their existing franchises and incorporate motion plus, such as Star Fox, Kirby, F-zero, Kid Icarus, Pilot Wings, Donkey Kong, etc. Luckily, SOME of those franchises are either confirmed, or rumored to be in development for Wii.

zelda for holiday next year? lol
I don't think they would take so long to fix the voices in other m
they're doing something else too

I don't think that's the case.

Not all Nintendo games are AAA, big budget games that are expected to sell 5+ million copies. There are some games they are willing to release, without the big budget, hoping they find their niche or perhaps become a breakout hit. When it comes to their big franchises, they never have and never will mess around. The Mario Galaxy 2 music from E3 was undoubtedly placeholder music, as finalising music is something that can safely be done relatively late in the game's development cycle. They had orchestrated music in the first, why wouldn't they have it in the sequel?

I certainly think the delay of Metroid Other M was related to putting a little more space between Nintendo's core releases, or perhaps to add some polish but I doubt it was in reponse the media feedback or IGN's accusations of laziness.

Around the Network

Oh yeah, I'm sure Miyamoto was browsing IGN and was like 'hey these guys really know how to make a good game, let's do what they're telling us!'

-_-'

Nintendo Network ID: Cheebee   3DS Code: 2320 - 6113 - 9046

I am positive that IGN's article had no effect WHATSOEVER on Nintendo's design decisions.

ash3336 said:

They had originally planned MIDI as you can see from the E3 trailer, but taking press's feedback, they added orchestral music.

they weren't planning to have midi music. they were just using that music as placeholder because they didn't have their recording day yet. they would of probably had to have all the music for the game written up, and then plan out a date that an orchestra could record everything.

come try out the computer game i've been working on for my high school senior project, titled sling ball. http://vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=76669&page=1

you can view a few screenshots from the game in my photo album here; http://www.vgchartz.com/photos/album.php?album=2312

yes, this is vonboy's alt account. i can't log into my original account, and i'm not sure if i will ever be able to.

Proud Member of the Official Yoshi Fan Club!.

I think you're putting stock into IGN's opinion. Or do you just mean Nintendo did this stuff on their own and it refutes IGNs claims?

Metallicube said:
However, part of me can see where they were coming from, even though they tend to over exaggerate and didn't quite explain their reasoning properly. I think the distaste they express comes not from existing franchises like Mario Galaxy, but more from the fact that Nintendo hasn't released many new Ips. 

Disaster, Captain Rainbow, Tact of Magic, Zangeki no Reginleiv, FlingSmash, Xenoblade, The Last Story, Line Attack Heroes, Eco Shooter. That's a pretty decent set of new IPs, in my opinion. And this is assuming that Endless Ocean isn't counted as a new IP (it's related to the earlier title, Everblue), that Excite Truck and ExciteBots are considered to be the same IPs as ExciteBike (despite rather dramatic differences), and that neither Project HAMMER nor Cosmic Walker are ever going to make an appearance.