By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Vietnam won or lost?

Vietnam won or lost?

America lost 65 81.25%

American won 9 11.25%

Its a draw 6 7.50%

Total:80

So i was talking about vietnam war with someone and basically i said "USA lost the war because our goal was never met" but he tried to say " we never lost because they never took us over".

I said "It doesnt matter who takes who ever, we never met our goal, we were UNSUCCESFUL"

He replied "It doesnt matter they never took us over".

Basically i put it like this.

Vietnam war is like the holocaust, both had a reason for existing.

America = Hitler

Vietnamese = Jewish people

I said if all the jewish people in the world died tomorrow, would the Holocaust be succesful?  The answer is no, The holocaust never killed every jewish person in the world, even if they did die later on, the holocaust was unsuccesful, therefore we can call it a loss. Right? Even though hitler wanted the jewish people dead, and if it did happen it wouldnt be because of him, therefore he was unsuccesful in doing it.

(No offense to jewish people)

America never made them stop fighting, but they did later on, and not because of us, therefore we lost that war.

What are you guys opinion on this?

Around the Network

I'd call it a loss.  Though it wasn't an unwinnable conflict like a lot of people believe.  It was just VERY poorly managed.

Kinda like Iraq.  If managed right... we would of been out of there already.

Short term got battered.....Stayed communist.

Long term victory. Why? Because currently Vietnam is capatalist.

We lost, but Hollywood tells us that we kicked ass despite losing ;)

I am the black sheep     "of course I'm crazy, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong."-Robert Anton Wilson

hatmoza said:

We lost, but Hollywood tells us that we kicked ass despite losing ;)

Well we did kickass while losing.  It was Pyrric victory for North Vietnam for sure.

They lost SO many people... and in the end they just ended up crashing the South Vietnese economy, screwing up their own economy and pretty much ruining their country until they allowed captalism in.

Well actually it was worse then a pyrric victory because it did cause them to collapse.  It didn't take a second one.

Our loss cost us way less then their victory cost them. 

Around the Network

America lost, Vietnam went full commie, and thus the terrible domino effect reverberated around the globe and eventually turned us all communist.

If only the American people hadn't gotten sick of killing before the VC got sick of dying, we wouldn't be living in this proletariat dystopia.

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.

didn't America just STOP....didn't they just go home because the Vietnamese where in the ground or something like that! I can't remember!

well North Vietnam casualties WERE considerably higher but in the end the american couldn't reach the objective.
eventually the communists captured Saigon and all was over for the americans...
though the vietnam economy plummeted since they had to pay for the war reparations.
irony is that they depended on the US economy to live lol.

Owner of PS1/PSOne , PS2 phat/slim  , PS3 phat/slim , PS Eye+Move and PSP phat/slim/brite/go (Sony)

The Official PS Vita Thread! Get all your latest PS Vita news here! Come join us!

Well the goal was eventually achieved, just not through the use of the military.

Given that fact we definitely eventually "won" the country in terms of communism VS capatalism.

But Vietnamn the "war" I don't think there is any real measure in which it could be said we lost militarily, so I think the best way to describe it is simply to say we were defeated politically. 

Still we did get what we wanted....so if that is how you define winning then I suppose you would call it a win.

To Each Man, Responsibility

We lost using the military. We did not reach our goal and left.