By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Does anyone think PS3 can realistically get to second place?

Lafiel said:
greenmedic88 said:
The PS3 is currently on track to overtake the 360 before the end of 2011.

So one would have to believe that Natal will save the day for MS, or that a significant price drop is due in 2010 to think otherwise.

If MS announced their annual projections, it would be a pretty simple affair to see where they themselves predict the gap will be in the same time frame.

As for any claims that "the generation ends as soon as someone releases a new console": ridiculous. It ends when the last man standing ceases production and support.

You don't win a race by dropping out prematurely and then claim victory because you were ahead before you quit and your opponents passed you.

I understand your argumentation, but personally I think it makes sense to think of a generation being at it's end once the consoles of the following generation begin to sell more units in a quarter.

But you also have situations such as when MS pulled the plug on the Xbox because they wanted to cut their losses and start over, even as the PS2 continued to outsell the next gen 360 well after its first year on the market.

My point is that if MS chooses to do a repeat of the Xbox (which I don't see happening) in a hypothetical situation where Natal fails to re-ignite the platform, and just calls it quits again by cutting 360 production and ending software support in favor of another all new platform, when the PS3 overtakes 360 LTD sales, MS still ends the generation in last place.

Around the Network

Sure, given worldwide hardware and software sales, I agree with what greenmedic88 says as well!

jneul said:

did not kowenicki alread do his predictions for how long ps3 will take to overtake the x360, i think based on his calculations it fell in the 1-2yr timeline, but i think gt5 will surprise alot of people, natal will not do amazing sales and ps3 will overtake at christmas or sping 2011, if this happens expect the next xbox to come out asap

I can see that hypothetical situation happening, although by this point it's more of a matter of software support from 3rd parties and whether the platform is commercially viable (earning profits, not just generating revenue).

If sales on the 360 drop to the point where it becomes a losing endeavor (actually depends more upon soft sales and XBL revenues), with little chance of turning it into a profit maker, then sure; an Xbox 3.0 by the holiday of 2011 is not a wild-eyed crazy prediction. Presumably such a launch would involve a 2011 E3 pre-hype bomb announcement.

The only problem with going with a sneak launch is that they may well end up having the same exact quality control issues with their new hardware that they had with the 360. I know I personally won't be buying any new console MS releases for at least a year after launch for this very reason.

Plus introducing Natal this year as the add-on that will keep the 360 viable "for years," only to trump it with a new platform less than one year later would be a huge middle finger to all the late 360 adopters who were actually sold on Natal. See how many late 360 adopters buy the next MS console.

Unless MS can sell their as of now non-existent next gen console at a profit (following the Nintendo business plan) without selling it for a ridiculous price (like the SCE business plan), launching a new platform is only going to result in sliding back from modest profits on the Xbox division, back into the red.

PS3Goty, Well I am certainly not one of the '360 owner(s) trying to think of something logical to make you feel better about your console loosing marketshare at such a rapid pace in only the third year of a 10 year life cycle' - for the smiple reason I do not have the 360. I own the Wii and enjoy it thouroughly. I am in fact intent on getting the 360 when it comes bundled with Natal this Christmas. On that basis I am not concerned about the recent numbers which you refer because they simply as you put it dont lie. In saying that my assessment of sony's recent failures is one looking back and having actually witnessed how this gen has actually panned out. With respect to your optimism with how the next 4 to 5 years will pan out for ps3, is yet to transpire. Of course we do have the hindsight of the last 2 years to (since 09 as you refer) make some promising predictions but at this point i time it is still just that - a mere prediction. Furthermore I am not totally conviced that the last 2 years serve as strong enough evidence to suggest that everything will be rosy for Sony from here on. Here is why;

1. Since the slim was introduced PS3 made some very significant inroads with sales imitially, howewer the spike was not sustained for long enough to really present an iminent threat to 360, especially considering that the Gap now days has been eroded to around 30 to 50k each week - and that is with MS having done nothing about it. It will still take some for the gap to close at these no's and all the while 360 continues making some money on each console sold. Furthermore, with talk of a 360 slim you would be niave to not expect a similar spike for MS. And separately the launch of natal (failure or not) will further drive sales in addition to this.

2. The Bluray is now as ubiquitous as DVD players where in the mid 2000's. The price of these (3rd of that of PS3) is just not as big as incentive as you would like to think it is for those considering a game console. Can pick them up in oz for just over $200.

3. 3d tv is very new and take up will be slow initially and those that are being pushed out are heavily bundled with 3d blu ray players. I take it you are talking about 3d gaming and this should not come as any surprise to you but MS have their own plans regarding 3d HD gaming. sorry mate but not convinced on this point either.

4. regaring the 10 year and the fact that we are half way through it - anyone will be foolling themselves to thing that the next generation is on hold for the ps3's benefit and that the emerging technologies of the competition will not come up with improvements that will blow away current technologies - yep even the was supposed to completey demolish the 360's grahpical abilities half way into the cyle. Stil pretty much on par many would argue. And the fact that people still debate this point contentiously is testimony to this.

And just one more thing- are you one of those guys that said PS3 will bury the competition in 07, then 08, oh and then 09 (and then got their feathers all ruffled when this was pointed out to them)- ah yes its now 2011 of course. Mate face it - it really should have been a much better run for the ps3 than it has been thus far.. Looking back at the evidence and commenting from the past has more weight than extrapolating from some patchy bits of information from current trends that arent conclusive at this point in time.

Last but not least even if the console comes 2nd which is possible, it will not have been the resounding success you and many sony fans would have like.. sony will have to wait this one out and have another crack at it next gen if they want to regain sepremecy again. Hard yards ahead tho.

Xbox 360 and Xbox One

Gamertag:  GamertagOz70

I don't see why carrying over XBL to Xbox 720 would be hard for MS. They may get desperate and cut 360 prices to $99 and $150 to try and gain momentum again. They may also try and introduce a new console to try and steal PS3's thunder when they see their lead being lost. It will happen eventually though!

Around the Network
theprof00 said:
Doesn't matter. MS owners won't care, they'll just wanna buy the next 360 and help MS "win" next gen even moreso.
And it's already lost a lot this gen in order to have a strong next-gen. So this gen doesn't really matter for Sony, but they better make a lot more next gen.

Lol what???

Anyway, the PS3 has little hope of surpassing the 360 this gen (assuming of course that the gen ends once Nintendo, Sony, or MS make their next console) Lifetime sales I'm sure the PS3 will surpass the 360 if Sony does to the PS3 what they did to the PS2. So I guess just going by the thread title, yes, I'm sure the PS3 will get second place. Will it do it this gen...I don't think so, it could happen, but it's not likely.

Past Avatar picture!!!

Don't forget your helmet there, Master Chief!

I say it could surpass the 360 in worldwide sales but it will be a while still before it does that.

I'd like to point out to everyone that the PS3 is closer to 5 mil on this site compared to the 360 reaching 40 mil. Whoever made this thread about who would reach what goal faster then kudos.

Proud owner of the PSone original, PSone slim, PS2 slim, PS3 slim, PSP-3000.

37 PS3 games and counting.

Less than 5m gap and going down......keep denying its possible.

Ping_ii said:

Yes, because the current sales trends will continue until the end of this gen *rolls eyes* Keep dreaming kiddo.

Past Avatar picture!!!

Don't forget your helmet there, Master Chief!

ironman said:
Ping_ii said:

Yes, because the current sales trends will continue until the end of this gen *rolls eyes* Keep dreaming kiddo.

Yes your right this current sales trend right now will not remain the same, PS3 sales could explode again like last year and close the gap even faster same for xbox...but yeah keep being in denial that its very possible for ps3 to get 2nd place boy.