By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - MGS4 Must Sell More Than One Million on the First Day

Smashchu said:
Gotta love Sessler. He said exactly what I said a long while back. I can see 1million in it's life time, but not on day one. If by some leap of faith the PS3 has 10million units sold (which seems doubtful) it would have to have a 10% install base on day one.

Sessler is a Douchenozzle. I've never liked him on G4 and he just likes to hate most things. The PS3 is at 6.36million right now, and will be at or just above 8 million by the end of this year.   MGS4 is projected to come out in Q2 08 which would be in April-June of 08.  Another 4-6 months of PS3 sales would see them at the 11-14million range depending on how sales continue after Christmas and whether or not there would be yet another price drop in that time frame.  

I admit to not being a fan of the MGS series and have never bought any of the games.  But after looking at the videos, and everything for it, i know that it's a "MUST" buy game for me.  There are many others who may never have been into MGS or even knew much if anything about it that will be making that jump like I will.  And yes, I will buy it on the first day.

Get your Portable ID!

My pokemon brings all the nerds to the yard. And they're like, "You wanna trade cards?" Damn right, I wanna trade cards. I'll trade this, but not my charizard.

Around the Network

I think it will make its money back (I am assuming the project+advertising will be in the 60million dollar area). On just PS3, but will not make the amount of money it would (2-3x) it would if it were multiplatform. I think Konami will sell out soon enough cause every company loves money. Though the stars do not point that way yet, and I am not a rumor believer, I just think the money to be made is too good in the US market.

Getting an XBOX One for me is like being in a bad relationship but staying together because we have kids. XBone we have 20000+ achievement points, 2+ years of XBL Gold and 20000+ MS points. I think its best we stay together if only for the MS points.

Nintendo Treehouse is what happens when a publisher is confident and proud of its games and doesn't need to show CGI lies for five minutes.

-Jim Sterling

sieanr said:
Peter Potamus said: Your wrong, MGS3 has never hit the XBOX. MGS2 substance was on the XBOX, and without it MGS2 sold 5 million on the PS2. MGS3 sales struggled because it was never a sequel, but a prequel.

MGS3 didn't struggle because it was a prequel but because 2 had such a nonsensical story that it alienated a good chunk of their user base. Oh, and there were plenty of other good titles on the market at that point.

Its a fact that a prequel never sells as well as a sequel. Look at DMC sales. And MGS 3 had absolutely nothing to do with MGS storyline. The game was actually a prequel to Metal Gears 1 and 2 on the MSX.

Didja get that thing I sentcha?

PS-She said:
kirby007 said:
PS-She said:
FishyJoe said:

Sony has compensated by ramping up its own game production and has 15 internal studios working on PlayStation titles, more than Microsoft and Nintendo combined, Dille said.

Great news!

where did he say that?

What do you mean?  It's in the article.

How about I help you find it...

'Metal Gear Solid 4' last of the great exclusives?
By Reuters
Published: November 29, 2007, 8:00 AM PST

Metal Gear Solid 4 is not only one of the most eagerly awaited games for Sony's PlayStation 3, it is also among the last of a dying breed--games designed exclusively for one gaming console.

Developed by Japan's Konami and due out next year, the game is the latest installment in the action series that produced smash hits for Sony's earlier PlayStation 2.

It's a prime example of a game known in the industry as a "third party exclusive," as opposed to "first party" ones made by game-console makers Sony, Microsoft, and Nintendo.

For years, the console makers have sought to secure such exclusives as a way to drive adoption of their machines.

"We're telling our fans that if you want to play Metal Gear Solid 4, you have to buy a PS3," said Ryan Payton, the assistant producer of the game.

"The PlayStation brand has always been good to us, and we're pretty bullish on the PS3."

But soaring production costs mean it's tougher for third-party games to turn a profit if they are limited to just one console. That's especially true for the PS3, sales of which have lagged those of the Xbox 360 and Wii.

Sony said it has been preparing for the demise of third-party exclusives for a long time.

"We understand publishers are needing to recoup their investment," said Peter Dille, senior vice president of marketing for Sony. "From our perspective, as long as the games aren't going exclusive to other platforms, PS3 gamers are not actually losing anything."

Sony has compensated by ramping up its own game production and has 15 internal studios working on PlayStation titles, more than Microsoft and Nintendo combined, Dille said.

He added that there will be 15 PS3 exclusives released between September 2007 and April 2008.

Payton said the new Metal Gear Solid needs to sell more than a million copies on the first day it goes on sale due to its costly production, but that may be a tough mark to hit given sluggish PS3 sales.

As of October, only 2 million PS3s had been sold in the United States, compared with 5.2 million Wii consoles from rival Nintendo and 7.2 million Xbox 360s from Microsoft, according to market research firm NPD.

A year after its release, only two PS3 games have sold more than 1 million copies, a benchmark of financial success for a big-budget game. The 7-year-old PlayStation 2 had nearly 100 games sell more than a million copies.

Top next-generation video games cost between $10 million and $50 million, according to IDC video game analyst Billy Pidgeon. That means publishers must hedge their bets by going onto as many platforms as possible.

"You might be able to weather one title coming in at 500,000 in sales," Pidgeon said. "But two or three failures like that and even big publishers are going to be hurting."

Several former PlayStation exclusives, including Grand Theft Auto, Virtua Fighter, and Devil May Cry, are now appearing on rival consoles, making the benefits of purchasing a PS3 questionable to some hard-core game buyers.

Some people think even MGS4 might not be compelling enough to turn the sales tide.

"No, Metal Gear Solid 4 isn't the killer app," said Adam Sessler, a video game critic on the G4 television network. "People who already own a PS3 will likely get it. But it doesn't have that kind of broad-based appeal."

Still, the iconic nature of the game combined with a cheap new PS3 model could boost sales when the game hits the market in the second quarter of 2008.

"There are definitely a lot of people still sitting on the fence about buying a PS3," Pidgeon said, "and this game could be the one that gets them to buy it."

how nice of you of helping me find it

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

it might 1st week, but no way first day.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

Around the Network

what i dont get is the fact that they said exclusive for third parties are dying....huh? the wii has a bunch lined up? and while they dont have as many the Ps3 and #60 do have some

If they mean everywhere and all regions, then that shouldn't be too hard. Now if they mean in one specific region, well that would be suggesting something that probably couldn't happen.

1 million worldwide first day is possible

mesoteto said:
what i dont get is the fact that they said exclusive for third parties are dying....huh? the wii has a bunch lined up? and while they dont have as many the Ps3 and #60 do have some

Did you not read the article? They explained why. It is becoming more expensive to create games in general and to lower the risk of losing money on a game companies must go multi-platform.

I don't think he meant that it will be totally gone, but more third party companies will be less inclined to go exclusive.

Wii Code 8761-5941-4718-0078 

Good Luck Konami. But who are we kidding? If it fails to make profitablity on the PS3 a 360 version will quickly be on it's way. Konami isn't going to let this lose money out of loyality to Sony.