By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - MGS4 Must Sell More Than One Million on the First Day

dabaus513 said:

Mgs 3 struggled because it was a prequel set in the past and had fierce competition thanks to halo 2, metriod prime 2, other high profile games. Im sure theres more, hell it could be folks just gave up on the series after 2's confusing story. Next year tho mgs 4 launches with no real competition, unless gta4 and gt5 launch around it, which would only bode well for ps3 sales, maybe not so much for mgs 4 sales due to fact people would be spending their money else where on the two said games.

Super Smash Brawl, Mario Kart Wii, GTA4 Wii Fit.

Around the Network
leo-j said:
LMAO!'

Its impossible, the ps3 will be at 12 million by that time. Actaully it doesnt seem that impossible.

That's crazy. The highest ever PS3 debut has been what? Assassins Creed at 230k? The highest PS3 debut in Japan was what? I think it was around the same. Konami is deluding themselves if they think MGS4 will sell a million in one day.

They'll release it on the PS3 and if they can't get their money back, they'll either get a check from Sony or port it to the 360 (if they haven't received that check already). Microsoft can write checks with lots of zeros, so Sony better start saving some money for it.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

why 1 million in one day?
Seriously who looks at a single day.
Why not something like 1.5 million opening weekend, or 1.8 million opening week?

Why specifically a day. Even financial forecasting does not go on a day to day basis.

I think it has a good chance with a simultaneou worldwide release. I think the day 1 stuff is based on the assumption that people who really want this game will buy it the day it comes out.

Also would like to point out he said: "If you want MGS 4, get a PS3".

Thanks to Blacksaber for the sig!

Around the Network

First day sales don't matter, what matters is first year sales -- selling as many $59.99 units as possible, before the inevitable price cuts happen.

But I think folks are leaving out one crucial factor, which changes everything: this isn't just another Metal Gear game. Kojima is not just fixing all the problems which plagued the franchise and made stealth espionage a niche genre (camera issues, meandering stories, incomprehensible controls, etc), he's pulling out all the stops.

It's going to be a stupendous, blockbuster production with topnotch production values from start to finish, but it's also going to have open, accessible game-play and deeply emotional story-telling - exactly what's needed to appeal to a wide audience.

Don't know...

1 million day one, unlikely to happen, reasons???

Poor appeal to the mass market and a $400 price tag console just to play it...

1 million first week (Even if is just a 3 days week) is more possible...

For me, 750k-800k first week...

By me:

Made with Blender + LuxRender
"Since you can´t understand ... there is no point to taking you seriously."

Mission Impossible.
But i think it will sell first week, like ;

EU - 300 k
US - 450 k
JP - 200 K

Carpe Diem!

Hey its possible.
We all just need to buy 3 copies of the game each =D.
But seriously.
It has the potential of actually reaching 1 million in its lifetime, never in this 1st week or even 1st month of sales.
If you get your friends to play MGS2: SOL, they will buy MGS4 no doubt.

P.S : Don't let them play MGS3: SE first, that one sucked too me. =]

its possible it can get close ..AC was what 230? DW6 was what around 250? so thats roughly close to half a mil.. not sure what it can do in Eu but it comes out around summer of 08.. ps3 user base will be higher by then... plus if GTA comes out before it and killzone the user base will be even higher so its definitely possible of it coming close unless the game justs bombs....

URNOTE Proud Owner of a 60GB PS3 Console (Purchased 12/22/06)

#1 reason MGS4 is PS3 exclusive  xbox is too loud for snake to sneak around
PSNTAG= Xander732