By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Study Shows Strong Interest In Project Natal

To be honest, I'm pretty surprised this peripheral isn't receiving a similar backlash from the hardcore crowd that the Wii received over the course of 4 years. And that thing still had buttons! Just with motion control as well.

Natal on the other hand, is ALL motion, and it requires you to move your whole body, which I thought the hardcore hated doing. I guess if it's on THEIR console, it's alright..

It'll be interesting to examine the reaction of one gaming's most hardcore userbases when this thing does come out. I'm not sure they will appreciate buttonless controls... Precision has always been their forte, and Natal does not seem to offer this.

Around the Network

"The study, which screened 1,500 people (weighted towards towards 200 - 500lbs) who play video games for more than 1 hour a week, said 56 percent of the respondents are "likely" to purchase the peripheral, with 18 percent of those saying they are "extremely likely."

i LOL'd so much

"...the best way to prepare [to be a programmer] is to write programs, and to study great programs that other people have written. In my case, I went to the garbage cans at the Computer Science Center and fished out listings of their operating system." - Bill Gates (Microsoft Corporation)

"Hey, Steve, just because you broke into Xerox's house before I did and took the TV doesn't mean I can't go in later and take the stereo." - Bill Gates (Microsoft Corporation)

Bill Gates had Mac prototypes to work from, and he was known to be obsessed with trying to make Windows as good as SAND (Steve's Amazing New Device), as a Microsoft exec named it. It was the Mac that Microsoft took for its blueprint on how to make a GUI.

""Windows [n.] - A thirty-two bit extension and GUI shell to a sixteen bit patch to an eight bit operating system originally coded for a four bit microprocessor and sold by a two-bit company that can't stand one bit of competition.""

other than showing the target audiences for xbox are fat .... I fail to see what else this survey showed.

one of the strangest surveys I've ever seen

Soriku (Feb 10/08): In 5 years the PS3/360 will be dead.

KH3 bet: "If KH3 comes to Wii exclusive, I will take a 1 month of sig/avatar by otheres open a thread apologize and praise you guys' brilliance." http://vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?start=50&id=18379
Original cast: Badonkadonkhr, sc94597 allaboutthegames885, kingofwale, Soriku, ctk495, skeezer, RDBRaptor, Mirson,

Episode 1: OOPSY!
selnor
: Too Human I even expect 3-4 mill entire life and 500,000 first day. GoW2 ( expect 7 - 9 million entire life and over 2 mill first day), Fable 2 (expect 5-6 million entire life and 1.5 mill fist day) BK3 (expect 4 - 5 mill sales entire life and 1 mill first day).. Tales/IU/TLR should get to 2 or 3 million! post id: 868878
Episode 2:
Letsdance: FFXIII (PS3+360) first week in NA = 286K
According to pre-order rate in week 13 (post id: 2902544)

"The study, which screened 1,500 people (weighted towards towards ages 14-34) who play video games for more than 1 hour a week, said 56 percent of the respondents are "likely" to purchase the peripheral, with 18 percent of those saying they are "extremely likely.""

Where are you guys getting the weight quote from? :-S

kowenicki said:
kingofwale said:
other than showing the target audiences for xbox are fat .... I fail to see what else this survey showed.

one of the strangest surveys I've ever seen

what!?

Bladeforce made that up, and then I think King of Wales read it and assumed it was in the op.

Around the Network

M$ had better have some cool games, or the Natal love is going to die fast...We will have to see what's in story for E3 and beyond, but right now, things are looking very flat for the 360.

"...You can't kill ideas with a sword, and you can't sink belief structures with a broadside. You defeat them by making them change..."

- From By Schism Rent Asunder

Seece said:
"The study, which screened 1,500 people (weighted towards towards ages 14-34) who play video games for more than 1 hour a week, said 56 percent of the respondents are "likely" to purchase the peripheral, with 18 percent of se saying they are "extremely likely."

WOW, nearly THREE Q's want to buy natal!!!!!!!!!!!!

At least we know it'll sell around 1000 units then

The 56% (actually it appeared to me to nearer  to be 55% in the charts) includes the 18% extremely likely.

What I find interesting is that 57% are aware (to some extent) and 55%-56% intend to buy.

That is fishy to me -- as are all these types of surveys (they are often not random samples).

Still, it got one thing right -- price and software will ultimately determine Natal's fate -- and we don't know about either of them yet).

Mike from Morgantown

I am Mario.

I like to jump around, and would lead a fairly serene and aimless existence if it weren't for my friends always getting into trouble. I love to help out, even when it puts me at risk. I seem to make friends with people who just can't stay out of trouble.

Wii Friend Code: 1624 6601 1126 1492

NNID: Mike_INTV

Not surprised. True gamers know where it's at.

I approve of this message.

Circle the wagons, the hype are coming!

Anyway Microsoft has about one shot at this. Either they hit E3 with some fundamentally awesome games or we can kill this attempt goodbye and say hello to a new console in about a couple of years. I don't mind either way but im not going to subscribe to hyping what are essentially at this point open questions.

Tease.