By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - 54 year old female British teacher may get 40 lashes and jail time in Sudan

Ok before giving the story I just wanted to say I believe all people should have the right to practice their religion whatever it may be.  What I have a problem with is when religious people of any faith attempt to punish others for not following some part of their religion.  Anyways here's the story.

Gillian Gibbons, a 54 year old British teacher who was teaching in Sudan, apparently allowed her students (age 7) to name a teddy bear Muhammad.  The name is common among Muslim men but is apparently considered insulting if given to an animal.  She was in police custody for two days and on the second day British officials asked to see her and were denied.  She appeared today in court and a Sudanese official said she can expect a swift and fair trial.  If found guilty she will be given 40 lashes and six months in prison.  The school she taught at (an elite prestigious school in Sudan) has closed for the rest of the year fearing reprisals.

Source: http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20071129/ap_on_re_mi_ea/sudan_british_teacher_22

Around the Network

Wow, that's a bit severe. Regardless, its the law in that country; whether or not the law is fair you have to follow it or expect consequences. I dont agree with this particular case, but its how it goes.

Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned for Sega. - Jason Lee, Mallrats.

http://theaveragejoe.sportsblognet.com/ - Mainly American Football, snippets of Basketball, European Football and Hockey. 

This is the reason why aliens/UFO's just fly past.

I just don't understand why people from that region of out planet are often known as 'extremists, do you!

I don't think I can respond to this without offending someone.  Short of saying nothing about the topic at all.  

So instead, I give you fluffy, destroyer of worlds. 

Who I have now renamed to Muhammad. 

Hopefully someone gets it. 

To Each Man, Responsibility
Around the Network

Why not just kicking her out of the country?

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

This is what happens when the population is poor and uneducated enough to let their religious leaders call the shots. I can assure you, Europe was quite similar when the standard of living was on par with modern day Sudan.

The sooner there are no famines and genocides in that corner of the world, the sooner people will start acting more rational.

Not knowing a law does not justify breaking it.

Sqrl said:

I don't think I can respond to this without offending someone. Short of saying nothing about the topic at all.

So instead, I give you fluffy, destroyer of worlds.

Who I have now renamed to Muhammad.

Hopefully someone gets it.

Admit it, you're just trying to avoid a Fatwā being put on you!

gorgepir said:
Not knowing a law does not justify breaking it.

Naming a teddy bear Muhammad does not justify 40 lashes.

If people needed justification for their stupid acts, they likely wouldn't commit them. Point taken? 

To Each Man, Responsibility