By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - 54 year old female British teacher may get 40 lashes and jail time in Sudan

If it is done intentionally just to belittle the guy and all of his followers, I think you could argue that it does.

Around the Network
Parokki said:
This is what happens when the population is poor and uneducated enough to let their religious leaders call the shots. I can assure you, Europe was quite similar when the standard of living was on par with modern day Sudan.

The sooner there are no famines and genocides in that corner of the world, the sooner people will start acting more rational.

I've always thought that a lot of these nations just have not had enough time to grow up and develop.

In 18th Century England you were hung for acts of homosexuality or if you were suspected of being a witch which may seem crazy to us now.

( And this isn't an invitation for any religious nutter on this forum to start, regarding homosexuality)

No matter how extreme 140 lashes for such a crime is, (it is 140 from what i heard on BBC i think), it is the law of that country and she broke it. Now we might not agree with it but i am sure that no matter what country we are from foreigners most likely don't agree with some of our laws as well. She chose to go to that country and as such should have been aware of the laws. Before i came to the U.S. i familiarized myself with some of its more peculiar laws and its consequences. For example Most of not all European countries do not have the death penalty for murder while the U.S. does. We see that as extreme but it is the law of the land and even if said law is thought to be wrong it nonetheless is the law and should not be broken if you do not want the consequences.

gorgepir said:
If it is done intentionally just to belittle the guy and all of his followers, I think you could argue that it does.

You could argue that it does but you would be wrong.

Violence in the name of peaceful religions is a stupid idea. But a popular one.

edit: PS - nobody has gotten my first post yet, probably for the best..... 

To Each Man, Responsibility

British teacher Gillian Gibbons has appeared before a Sudanese court charged with insulting religion and inciting hatred by naming a teddy bear Mohammed.

Charged: Gillian Gibbons

Sky News sources say British consular staff have been denied access to the hearing.

Riot police have surrounded the court building in Khartoum, and the media have also been barred from entering.

Reports said Gibbons, who faces 40 lashes for allowing her class to give the cuddly toy the name, looked tired when she entered the courtroom.

They added that she was wearing a dark blue jacket and blue dress, but was not handcuffed.

Sudan's prosecutor general said she could expect a swift and fair trial under Sudanese law.

The defence has called several eyewitnesses including colleagues from Unity High School in Khartoum and a teaching assistant who was inside the classroom with Gibbons during the naming of the teddy bear.

She has been charged under Article 125 of the criminal code and, if convicted, could also be sentenced to six months in prison or fined.

The move prompted the British Government to summon the Sudanese ambassador in London as a "matter of urgency".

Britain's Foreign Secretary, David Miliband, said the prosecution sprang from an "innocent misunderstanding" and he wanted to see Gibbons freed as soon as possible.

A Sudanese woman looks at a teddy

Sky's foreign affairs editor Tim Marshall said: "We must ask why she has been charged.

"They know that this is not a particularly serious affair, so why have they chosen to do this?

"The Justice Minister of Sudan has taken a personal interest in this affair and he has told the general prosecutor to take a personal interest in it."

He added: "I think any kind of right-thinking Muslim thinks this is silly. Someone in Sudan wants to make an issue of this."

Dr Muhammad Abdul Bari, secretary general of the Muslim Council of Britain, said he was "appalled" at the decision to charge her.

He said: "This is a disgraceful decision and defies common sense.

"There was clearly no intention on the part of the teacher to deliberately insult the Islamic faith."

http://news.sky.com/skynews/article/0,,30200-1294891,00.html

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

Around the Network

Oh BTW, from what I know of the story she didn't break the law. The kids did. She told them to vote to name the bear and they VOTED to name it Muhammad.

So 40 lashes for each child who voted Muhammad then? It is the law after all. /sarcasm

Sqrl said:
gorgepir said:

I got it, rather amusing. I have to agree, though its the people who misinterpret the teachings that are responsible.

Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned for Sega. - Jason Lee, Mallrats.

http://theaveragejoe.sportsblognet.com/ - Mainly American Football, snippets of Basketball, European Football and Hockey. 

Sqrl said:
gorgepir said:

It has nothing to do with religion. She broke a law. It is simple. It might not make sense to you, but that is why you are not a lawmaker in that country.

gorgepir said:
Sqrl said:
gorgepir said:

It has nothing to do with religion. She broke a law. It is simple. It might not make sense to you, but that is why you are not a lawmaker in that country.

I think you missed my point. By a lot.

For an example that it has nothing to do with religion, go to france and deny the holocaust. You'll be put in jail. nothing to do with religion.