By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - 54 year old female British teacher may get 40 lashes and jail time in Sudan

I don't know, maybe I did. I don't see why you think you can tell other people how to live though maybe that is why I missed your point

Around the Network
gorgepir said:
I don't know, maybe I did. I don't see why you think you can tell other people how to live though maybe that is why I missed your point

I'm not telling other people how to live.  I'm telling other people what I think of how they live.

By the way, this has everything to do with religion.  The law doesn't exist if the religion doesn't exist. 

To Each Man, Responsibility

@gorgepir

You sound like you are supporting the punishment from your posts on this thread.

Are you saying it doesn't matter how idiotic a punishment for a spastic law is? It should be enforced and everyone just shut up?
It's people like you that are the reason idiots like the ones in Sudan feel comfortable doing what they do.

No, I support having reasonable laws and reasonable punishments. What they are though depends on the society. Personally I don't like it when people think they can make fun of your beliefs just because they can.
My point was that it is not fair that you single out Sudan, since it is like that everywhere.

Maybe they should just apply the eye for an eye rule and name the teacher Muhammad =P

Around the Network

@sqrl
look at the holocoust and france comment again. that has nothing to do with religion but is as equally stupid. I don't see you arguing against it. I think you are just hypocritic, that's all.

gorgepir said:
@sqrl
look at the holocoust and france comment again. that has nothing to do with religion but is as equally stupid. I don't see you arguing against it. I think you are just hypocritic, that's all.

The article isn't about that.  But I think it is a fairly stupid law.  Thanks for calling me a hypocrit without actually finding out what I thought of it though.

Just so you know, I think the sudan issue is much bigger because there is violence there.  Actually if they just wanted to give her jail time I would have much less of an issue.  But when you start whipping people I think you will find people's outrage increases quite a bit.  Not exactly rocket science or hypocracy. 

I am quite sure i have heard of many stupid laws in various states of the USA.

Well maybe I did call you a hyprocrit early, but I felt you where acting as one. Because when I brought up the france example, you didn't say anything like that is also stupid.
I agree that "whipping" is extreme. I think it is wrong. But that doesn't mean if people in Sudan think it is the right thing to do, I can make fun of them. You shouldn't assume that they are just idiots.

TWRoO said:
I am quite sure i have heard of many stupid laws in various states of the USA.

Yup there are a lot of them.  Most countries have some stupid laws.  Its a symptom of stupid people which have succesfully integrated into every society.