By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - The PSP and America WTF

That is true the system got a lot of games early but still it is getting some excellent titles especially first party ones

Around the Network

It's almost 6 years old, and it doesn't have a game that can sell 10 million copies, and it's $170, and its newest version was its most epic failure. The battle between the PSP Go and the DSi XL basically killed all PSPs. And like stof said, the PSP's target market is now the iPhone's target market. The PSP was always trying to fight the DS and the iPod at the same time, and it did really damn well considering the impossibility of that task, but now it's trying to fight the DSi and the iPhone at the same time, and it just can't keep up.

I really don't think a price cut would do a whole lot, even a marketing push probably wouldn't even make its money back. The PSP just isn't wanted anymore, it's old and dying. You can't suddenly change the image it has built up over the last 5 years, it had a good run just support it for a while longer and keep pushing it in Japan until PSP2.

currently playing: Skyward Sword, Mario Sunshine, Xenoblade Chronicles X

The Ghost of RubangB said:
It's almost 6 years old, and it doesn't have a game that can sell 10 million copies, and it's $170, and its newest version was its most epic failure. The battle between the PSP Go and the DSi XL basically killed all PSPs. And like stof said, the PSP's target market is now the iPhone's target market. The PSP was always trying to fight the DS and the iPod at the same time, and it did really damn well considering the impossibility of that task, but now it's trying to fight the DSi and the iPhone at the same time, and it just can't keep up.

when did "sales number" become a measurement of "quality". And since we are on the topic of quaity, feel free to look into PSP's library.

and, iPhone is much a thread to DS as it is to PSP, in fact, it is actually a BIGGER threat to DS, as it is appealing more toward casual gamers on the go. However, feel free to claim whatever you like, as nobody can prove that competition's target market. Heck, we are still stuck on "Wii and casual gamer" debate. Aren't we all? ;)

Soriku (Feb 10/08): In 5 years the PS3/360 will be dead.

KH3 bet: "If KH3 comes to Wii exclusive, I will take a 1 month of sig/avatar by otheres open a thread apologize and praise you guys' brilliance." http://vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?start=50&id=18379
Original cast: Badonkadonkhr, sc94597 allaboutthegames885, kingofwale, Soriku, ctk495, skeezer, RDBRaptor, Mirson,

Episode 1: OOPSY!
selnor
: Too Human I even expect 3-4 mill entire life and 500,000 first day. GoW2 ( expect 7 - 9 million entire life and over 2 mill first day), Fable 2 (expect 5-6 million entire life and 1.5 mill fist day) BK3 (expect 4 - 5 mill sales entire life and 1 mill first day).. Tales/IU/TLR should get to 2 or 3 million! post id: 868878
Episode 2:
Letsdance: FFXIII (PS3+360) first week in NA = 286K
According to pre-order rate in week 13 (post id: 2902544)

It's about the price. If the PSP Go was for $150 and regular for $120 they would give Nintendo all that it can handle.

Just want to play good games

Around the Network
kingofwale said:

when did "sales number" become a measurement of "quality". And since we are on the topic of quaity, feel free to look into PSP's library.

and, iPhone is much a thread to DS as it is to PSP, in fact, it is actually a BIGGER threat to DS, as it is appealing more toward casual gamers on the go. However, feel free to claim whatever you like, as nobody can prove that competition's target market. Heck, we are still stuck on "Wii and casual gamer" debate. Aren't we all? ;)

I'm not talking about the quality of the PSP's game library or trying to dis the PSP.  I'm not saying the games aren't good enough to sell the hardware.  I'm saying the games don't sell enough to sell the hardware.  I think the PSP has great games, but not the kind of huge crossover successes that convince non-gamers to go "wow, I really want to take that home and play it on the bus or train everywhere I go."  A system needs games like that to sell like a PS2, Wii, DS, PS1, or Game Boy.

If the PSP was aimed at handheld gaming on the go (usually the main selling point of handheld gaming devices) then at least some its biggest games should be something that you play in short bursts like Nintendogs or Brain Training, instead of long epic God of War, Metal Gear Solid, and Grand Theft Auto adventures.  Has Sony learned nothing from Tetris?

The PSP is not the market leader, so it doesn't get to last for 6 or more years.  It's like the Genesis; it put up a damn good fight, but it just can't keep up after this much time.  The Genesis couldn't handle Star Fox or Donkey Kong Country, and the PSP can't handle Nintendogs or Brain Training.  It's the only handheld gaming device without a touchscreen, which has become a necessary gaming feature for the majority of the market.

And I don't believe in "casual gamers" or "hardcore" gamers.  It's just the old guard looking down at the newcomers, the way PC gamers looked down at NES gamers.

I think the biggest issue is the Iphone game prices at .99 cents it is much more appealing than 39.99

The PSP is not the market leader, so it doesn't get to last for 6 or more years.  It's like the Genesis; it put up a damn good fight, but it just can't keep up after this much time.  The Genesis couldn't handle Star Fox or Donkey Kong Country, and the PSP can't handle Nintendogs or Brain Training.  It's the only handheld gaming device without a touchscreen, which has become a necessary gaming feature for the majority of the market.

I don't think that's fair.  the Genesis was far more powerful than the NES, but the SNES severely outmuscled it.  I don't think anyone can say that about the PSP vs. the DS, unless specifically addressing the touchscreen. 

Tag (courtesy of fkusumot): "Please feel free -- nay, I encourage you -- to offer rebuttal."
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
My advice to fanboys: Brag about stuff that's true, not about stuff that's false. Predict stuff that's likely, not stuff that's unlikely. You will be happier, and we will be happier.

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Sen. Pat Moynihan
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
The old smileys: ; - ) : - ) : - ( : - P : - D : - # ( c ) ( k ) ( y ) If anyone knows the shortcut for , let me know!
I have the most epic death scene ever in VGChartz Mafia.  Thanks WordsofWisdom! 

I would guess it's because piracy is much more popular in Europe.

It gets mostly japanese centric games and is  mostly bought in the west for it's piracy features.  Without piracy it'd be PSP go levels everywhere probably.  Well a little higher, the Go is overpriced.

Me, I love my PSP though... and it's completely clean.  No hacked anything.

Final-Fan said:

I don't think that's fair.  the Genesis was far more powerful than the NES, but the SNES severely outmuscled it.  I don't think anyone can say that about the PSP vs. the DS, unless specifically addressing the touchscreen. 

Yeah I probably wasn't clear enough there.  I was actually trying to specifically address the touchscreen.  The Genesis didn't have games with the FX Chip and the PSP doesn't have games with a touchscreen.  I think most people recognize those differences more than all the cool techie multimedia features of the PSP.

Dr. Kawashima, the guy behind Brain Age on the DS, made a game for the PSP called Mind Quiz.  It had more exercises and better graphics, but didn't let you use any answer you want with a touchscreen or a microphone.  It used the 4 buttons to answer multiple choice questions.  I can't even find a Wikipedia article for the game.