By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - I need JRPG recommendations (only played 2...FF13 & FF12)

I have been a big WRPG player all my life from the PC ones to the console ones now. Played everything from Planetscape Torment/Deus Ex to Mass effect 2.

The first JRPG I played was FF13 around 2 months ago now. I went in not expecting much & by the end it became one of my all time favorites for reasons from its cast that I got attached to, the interesting story, amazing combat to the music. It made me want to try out more JRPG's/Final Fantasies so I asked the forum about other Final Fantasy games I should play, many said FF12.

I got FF12 and now when I'm 50 hours in I have no motivation to continue, the combat is dull & boring at the stage where I am, I couldn't get attached to the characters like I did in 13 & the story while epic in scope isn't gripping enough with the cast I have. Its a good game with great game design, art, gameplay for the most part but too long & has serious pacing issues in my opinion.

What other JRPG's should I try, are there any others like FF13?

The consoles I can use are PS3 Slim, PS2 & a Xbox 360.

Please recommend, because I have become interested in the genre & want to find more game in it that I may like.

Around the Network

Lost Odyssey and Tales of Vesperia, yo.

Its very hard to recommend to you because FF13 is very different from other JRPG's. I'd say get FFX really because its similar to XIII in many ways but its gameplay is completely different so you may not like that.

ermm I think you might want to get Lost Oddessy because you own a xbox 360. Do you like turn based gameplay?

Otherwise Star Ocean 4 is more action based so you might wanna try that.

I can't give you any direct recommendations though.

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

Try Final Fantasy X on the PS2.

Final Fantasy XI: Ultimate collection for the 360

Want the Key to Eternal Life?
read about it here:
http://www.cipherwire.net/eternal_life.html

Wii Friend Code: 7592-1692-7773-4859

Around the Network

Shin Megami Tensei. This mean: SMT: Nocturne, SMT: Digital Devil saga I and II, Persona 3 and 4, Devil Summoner. All for PS2

But I must warn you, these games are a little bit harder than FF.

You can try Xenosaga too (PS2), or XenoGears (if you don´t mind PS1 graphics).

Tales of ... are good too. So, Vesperia for Xbox 360 (and PS3 in Japan), Abyss and Legendia for PS2. Legendia isn´t that good, though.

Final Fantasy VII-XI
Lost Odyssey
Star Ocean Till End of Time
Xenosaga I-III
The Last Remnant

Man there are just so many.

Demon's Souls

Lost Odyssey and FFX all the way.

You're the Xbox man so you definitley need to play Lost Odyssey.

You can give the Shadow Heart trilogy for the PS2 a go, they're pretty awesome games.

Lost Odyssey for the 360 is a must, the best JRPG game on that console, and the best JRPG game (if you don't count Demon's Souls as an JRPG) released this gen.

The PS2 Kingdom Hearts games are also a must. Consider also Star Ocean: Till the end of time.

Suikoden V is also another must, for the PS2.

I'm also a fan of Blue Dragon for the 360, yet it doesn't seem to garner much other favourable opinions on this ste.

All of the Level 5 games for the PS2 are also magnificent, Dark Cloud, Dark Chronicles and Rogue Galaxy.

Dragon Quest VIII is one of the best JRPG's released for the PS2.

There are so many possibilities, but I'm pretty sure you'll get a good list from this thread alone.

Current PC Build

CPU - i7 8700K 3.7 GHz (4.7 GHz turbo) 6 cores OC'd to 5.2 GHz with Watercooling (Hydro Series H110i) | MB - Gigabyte Z370 HD3P ATX | Gigabyte GTX 1080ti Gaming OC BLACK 11G (1657 MHz Boost Core / 11010 MHz Memory) | RAM - Corsair DIMM 32GB DDR4, 2400 MHz | PSU - Corsair CX650M (80+ Bronze) 650W | Audio - Asus Essence STX II 7.1 | Monitor - Samsung U28E590D 4K UHD, Freesync, 1 ms, 60 Hz, 28"