By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Valve wants PS3 to open like a Mac not closed like a Gamecube.

Half-Life and Portal developer Valve would like to see Sony’s PlayStation 3 console become “more open like a mac” rather than “more closed like a Gamecube”, explained company CEO Gabe Newell in a recent interview with 5BY5.

“Platform investments, like the Mac, are difficult because you have to be aware of what direction that platform is moving. We need to target platforms that do a better job of looking like where we want to be in a few years,” Newell explained.

“We would love to see the PS3 be more open like a Mac than more closed like a Gamecube. It makes it easier to justify those investments if that were the case.”

Valve has always been known for their generally negative attitude towards PS3. If I’m reading this correctly, PS3 isn’t where Valve wants to be in a few years… wherever that may be. Odd, since Valve recently stated that it was “sure down the road“, they’ll develop for the Sony platform.

http://scrawlfx.com/2010/05/valve-wants-ps3-open-like-a-mac-not-closed-like-a-gamecube

Around the Network

These guys should just expand their studio, hire some skilled PS3 devs and go full multiplatform. They'd probably make more money, and these annoying articles about Valve would stop popping up every month.

Gabe is spreading all over the place.

I live for the burn...and the sting of pleasure...
I live for the sword, the steel, and the gun...

- Wasteland - The Mission.

still talking about how hard it is todevelop for. thats all i got out of that. but then again i do alot of half ass reading so?

Didnt Steam just come out for Mac's recently while Macs were out way before PS3?

Around the Network

I think he's talking about the first-third party ecosystem. Apple doesn't make games, Sony is trying to have the best games of the platform as 1st party, a la Nintendo. If Sony competes fierly with their 3rd parties, it makes harder for those third parties to have profits in their platform.

Edit: There is a big niche in the Mac platform, and with more PC like Macs, it's easier to cross develop. Valve only wants to earn money, and I'm sure that the cost/benefit ratio is bigger in Mac than in PS3.

Stealth troll lol

What does this even mean??

Kennyheart said:

Half-Life and Portal developer Valve would like to see Sony’s PlayStation 3 console become “more open like a mac” rather than “more closed like a Gamecube”, explained company CEO Gabe Newell in a recent interview with 5BY5.

“Platform investments, like the Mac, are difficult because you have to be aware of what direction that platform is moving. We need to target platforms that do a better job of looking like where we want to be in a few years,” Newell explained.

“We would love to see the PS3 be more open like a Mac than more closed like a Gamecube. It makes it easier to justify those investments if that were the case.”

Valve has always been known for their generally negative attitude towards PS3. If I’m reading this correctly, PS3 isn’t where Valve wants to be in a few years… wherever that may be. Odd, since Valve recently stated that it was “sure down the road“, they’ll develop for the Sony platform.

http://scrawlfx.com/2010/05/valve-wants-ps3-open-like-a-mac-not-closed-like-a-gamecube

I've only had the pleasure of recently hearing about Valves derogetory attitude to PS3. no offense to the 360 fans around here, but Sony have always endorsed the 10 year lifecycle of their consoles. especailly with PS3, which has blu ray, upcoming 3D etc. microsoft have only recently done this with natal, but even then the 360 has never been seen as a 10 year console.

so to me its obvious where Sony want their console in 10 years and M$ have never been clear until recenly about where they want their console to be. in my opinion they've actully insulted M$ who they clearly support.

just out of interest does valve carry any weight in the gaming community, i mean half-life is really old and i've never heard of portal until now??

I don't even know what this sentence means:

"We need to target platforms that do a better job of looking like where we want to be in a few years,”

So what is he saying? Sony needs to be open to listening to developers about what they want in the next PS console? Well if they listen to Valve, Valve will tell them to make their console more like the XBox or PC, when clearly Sony have gone down a different hardware route.

Sony might listen to developers who actively develop for its platform in terms of future hardware direction, but they're unlikely to court Valve's opinion. The Playstation platform gets enough FPS as it is thanks.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix