By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close
dtewi said:
Nirvana_Nut85 said:

Nintendo trying to make Zelda 'easier to play'

Creating a 'new way to play the game'.

Nintendo is trying to make the next Legend of Zelda game, set to be unveiled at E3 next month, "easier to play".

That's according to game industry legend Shigeru Miyamoto, who described the much-loved adventure series as "complicated".

Hardcore Nintendo fans will, of course, spit out their morning coffee at the mere suggestion that their beloved Link will be dumbed down to cater for the casual masses.

But Miyamoto's words should come as no surprise. Nintendo has, in recent years, enjoyed unprecedented success catering to mainstream game players.

In an interview with German gaming site Gaming Media (Japanese audio with German subtitles), translated by 1UP, Miyamoto revealed that for the next Zelda game the company first created the game mechanics and then made a demo video to match. Usually, the company does it the other way around.

Nintendo is "creating a new way to play the game," said the developer. "We are trying to make Zelda, which has become very complicated, easier to play."

Perhaps this "new way to play the game" is in direct response to criticism from some that the tried and trusted Legend of Zelda gameplay has become stale and formulaic. All eyes now look to trade show E3, due to take place next month, where the gaming world expects Nintendo to fully unveil the next game in the famed series.

http://www.videogamer.com/news/nintendo_trying_to_make_zelda_easier_to_play.html

Even though casual games sell better on the Wii, twighlight princess did sell 5.52m which is great for a core game considering it was a launch title with a lower install base and the fact that it was a gc port.

People like a challenging Zelda, not some friendly bullshit that your grandmother can play for fucksakes.

So you'd prefer monotony with the same weapons, temples, and general storyline instead of a change in gameplay?

I'm all for change and a series re-inventing itself. I just dont want to have an unchallenging zelda game. I enjoy the difficulty of the series, as I'm sure most zelda fans do.

" Rebellion Against Tyrants Is Obedience To God"

Around the Network
Nirvana_Nut85 said:
I'm all for change and a series re-inventing itself. I just dont want to have an unchallenging zelda game. I enjoy the difficulty of the series, as I'm sure most zelda fans do.

This is change though.

And when has challenge ever equaled to quality?

Kimi wa ne tashika ni ano toki watashi no soba ni ita

Itsudatte itsudatte itsudatte

Sugu yoko de waratteita

Nakushitemo torimodosu kimi wo

I will never leave you

Whatever Nintendo is planning, I say; bring it on! Change the gameplay, controls, structure, plot or whatever - I have complete faith in Miyamoto and co. to do what is best for the franchise.

...What? I've never been 'let down' by the Zelda team before, and all of their greatest works have come about when they've tried something new, so I have reason to be exited.

I agree with Helios.
They have never let me down. I don't expect things to change now, especially with 4 years of dev time under their belts, and inspiration from MH3 to push graphics even farther/further.

Leatherhat on July 6th, 2012 3pm. Vita sales:"3 mil for COD 2 mil for AC. Maybe more. "  thehusbo on July 6th, 2012 5pm. Vita sales:"5 mil for COD 2.2 mil for AC."

Helios said:

Whatever Nintendo is planning, I say; bring it on! Change the gameplay, controls, structure, plot or whatever - I have complete faith in Miyamoto and co. to do what is best for the franchise.

...What? I've never been 'let down' by the Zelda team before, and all of their greatest works have come about when they've tried something new, so I have reason to be exited.

Don't forget about Eiji Aonuma he's the main director of it :D

Buying in 2015: Captain toad: treasure tracker,

mario maker

new 3ds

yoshi woolly world

zelda U

majora's mask 3d

Around the Network

Easier to play could mean a lot of things. I think it means in terms of game control, not skill required. After all, Zelda isn't hard to beat, just takes time and puzzling skills. With M+ support, it may now be more natural, i.e. easier, to fight enemies etc.

Well, E3 is getting close, so I guess we'll see soon.

All I see is him talking about something that has been going on since ALTTP, the only Zelda games that were hard and not so user friendly were on the NES, ALTTP began what he's talking about and user friendly doesn't mean it'll be casual. This is nothing new, Galaxy was more user friendly then other 3d Mario games.

Nintendogamer said:
Helios said:

Don't forget about Eiji Aonuma he's the main director of it :D

Eiji Aonuma is, in my opinion, among the most underrated and oft neglected of the great video game designers/directors. I'm not one to just forget about him. However, I didn't mention him because this interview was conducted with Miyamoto, and whatever Aonuma wants to accomplish with this new Zelda I will wait for him to say for himself.

Zelda needs a change. That's not secret. And anyone that has been playing Nintendo games to date knows that Nintendo's games are not easy at all. It seems that the "kazual" trauma made gamers blind and dumb (literally).

I got tired of TP's corny story and hundreds of puzzles by dungeon-. I want it to go back to its roots with more action and a more exciting overworld.

I don't want a change, but it's miyamoto, so it's for good