By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - WTF Miyamoto!!!

Nintendo trying to make Zelda 'easier to play'

Creating a 'new way to play the game'.

Nintendo is trying to make the next Legend of Zelda game, set to be unveiled at E3 next month, "easier to play".

That's according to game industry legend Shigeru Miyamoto, who described the much-loved adventure series as "complicated".

Hardcore Nintendo fans will, of course, spit out their morning coffee at the mere suggestion that their beloved Link will be dumbed down to cater for the casual masses.

But Miyamoto's words should come as no surprise. Nintendo has, in recent years, enjoyed unprecedented success catering to mainstream game players.

In an interview with German gaming site Gaming Media (Japanese audio with German subtitles), translated by 1UP, Miyamoto revealed that for the next Zelda game the company first created the game mechanics and then made a demo video to match. Usually, the company does it the other way around.

Nintendo is "creating a new way to play the game," said the developer. "We are trying to make Zelda, which has become very complicated, easier to play."

Perhaps this "new way to play the game" is in direct response to criticism from some that the tried and trusted Legend of Zelda gameplay has become stale and formulaic. All eyes now look to trade show E3, due to take place next month, where the gaming world expects Nintendo to fully unveil the next game in the famed series.

http://www.videogamer.com/news/nintendo_trying_to_make_zelda_easier_to_play.html

Even though casual games sell better on the Wii, twighlight princess did sell 5.52m which is great for a core game considering it was a launch title with a lower install base and the fact that it was a gc port.

People like a challenging Zelda, not some friendly bullshit that your grandmother can play for fucksakes.

" Rebellion Against Tyrants Is Obedience To God"

Around the Network

Good to hear its finally being changed up again

Nirvana_Nut85 said:

Nintendo is trying to make the next Legend of Zelda game, set to be unveiled at E3 next month, "easier to play".

That's according to game industry legend Shigeru Miyamoto, who described the much-loved adventure series as "complicated".

Hardcore Nintendo fans will, of course, spit out their morning coffee at the mere suggestion that their beloved Link will be dumbed down to cater for the casual masses.

But Miyamoto's words should come as no surprise. Nintendo has, in recent years, enjoyed unprecedented success catering to mainstream game players.

In an interview with German gaming site Gaming Media (Japanese audio with German subtitles), translated by 1UP, Miyamoto revealed that for the next Zelda game the company first created the game mechanics and then made a demo video to match. Usually, the company does it the other way around.

Nintendo is "creating a new way to play the game," said the developer. "We are trying to make Zelda, which has become very complicated, easier to play."

Perhaps this "new way to play the game" is in direct response to criticism from some that the tried and trusted Legend of Zelda gameplay has become stale and formulaic. All eyes now look to trade show E3, due to take place next month, where the gaming world expects Nintendo to fully unveil the next game in the famed series.

http://www.videogamer.com/news/nintendo_trying_to_make_zelda_easier_to_play.html

Even though casual games sell better on the Wii, twighlight princess did sell 5.52m which is great for a core game considering it was a launch title with a lower install base and the fact that it was a gc port.

People like a challenging Zelda, not some friendly bullshit that your grandmother can play for fucksakes.

Very complicated... Perhaps the man is talking about controls/gameplay and not dumbing down the levels?

The BuShA owns all!

I'm sure he's referring to making the controls easier by incorporating more motion controls into the game via motion plus.

Nirvana_Nut85 said:

The first game is the second hardest game in the franchise, but it's also the easiest to play. Ease of use is not the same thing as being easy to beat.

Around the Network

We'll see. The series has become stale. Look at Mario, hasn't changed much since 64, but to me it still feels fresh. I think the approach they took in Galaxy kept it fresh. Zelda ... same game, same controls, for over ten years. And I found TP to be rather easy. And I'm no kick ass hardcore gamer.

So if changes are to be made, I'll have to wait and see what I think about it. And I'm not even sure what I want to see changed. You can't really change it from the ground up, I don't think. Then it's not Zelda anymore. Then again, I'm growing tired of the same formula. "Get weapon in dungeon. Use weapon in particular dungeon to advance, and defeat boss." and the boss battle. Bleh. "Figure out movements. Exploit weakness. Repeat two more times."

Time for a change, for sure. "Easier" may not be what I was looking for.

thats good news, while TP was amazing in presentation the gameplay was the same from all the 3D Zeldas. We need a change

Nirvana_Nut85 said:

So you'd prefer monotony with the same weapons, temples, and general storyline instead of a change in gameplay?

Kimi wa ne tashika ni ano toki watashi no soba ni ita

Itsudatte itsudatte itsudatte

Sugu yoko de waratteita

Nakushitemo torimodosu kimi wo

I will never leave you

Kyuubi Ricky SSJ2 said:
I'm sure he's referring to making the controls easier by incorporating more motion controls into the game via motion plus.

Well I hope so, I really hope they dont dumb down the actual gameplay.

" Rebellion Against Tyrants Is Obedience To God"

I have 100% faith that this Zelda will be one of the best games in the past ten years`