By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Last week PS3 beat xbox worldwide by 1,000

Last week PS3 beat xbox worldwide by around 1,000 consoles!!!

Who thinks this might get higher then 1,000?

Around the Network

Margin of error >>>> 1000

It's a dead heat statistically.

I don't... Look at what Sony and retailers have done just to become even with the 360. There are no big games coming out for PS3 any time soon (R&C, Uncharted=flops so far) and they've already released 4 different models of PS3s and gone through price cuts.

There is nothing they can do to stimulate sales for the time being.

I don't... Look at what Sony and retailers have done just to become even with the 360. There are no big games coming out for PS3 any time soon (R&C, Uncharted=flops so far) and they've already released 4 different models of PS3s and gone through price cuts.

And it did it this week by a little over 400 units. Man doing pretty good for no major releases that week. Although some stores didn't get Uncharted until that week.

Around the Network
damkira said:

What are you talking about?  R&C and Uncharted havent flopped by any means, and the 360 has released just as many consoles. CORE, Premium, Elite, Arcade, Halo edition. The 360 has dropped there price as well. So yeah, for Sony to have a more expensive console with in your words "flop games", and still keeping up and beating the 360 right now. I would say that is a pretty good thing for the PS3.

ill waite and see no predections!!!

darendt said:
damkira said:

What are you talking about?  R&C and Uncharted havent flopped by any means, and the 360 has released just as many consoles. CORE, Premium, Elite, Arcade, Halo edition. The 360 has dropped there price as well. So yeah, for Sony to have a more expensive console with in your words "flop games", and still keeping up and beating the 360 right now. I would say that is a pretty good thing for the PS3.

@ damkira

There is something the they could do to stimulate sales, and that is another price cut. However there is nothing sony can AFFORD to do to stimulate sales further.

@darendt

The difference between 360 multiple SKUs and PS3 multiple SKUs is that the earlier PS3 SKUs failed and were discontinued, where as Microsoft added additional SKUs to compete with nintendo and PS3 more directly. The only 360 SKU that has been discontinued is the core, but the arcade is basically just core with bundled stuff.

360 Core replaced by 360 Arcade for $20 less
360 Premium reduced by $50
360 Elite reduced by $30

None of those at all close to PS3 price changes.

In other words expect to see 360 prices drop just in time for GTA4.

360 Arcade $199
360 Premium $299
360 Elite $399 (Maybe $379)

Libraries sell systems not individual games

If memory serves me correct (and I may be wrong) both Sony and M$ have had a few systems.

Both the 360 and ps3 started with 2 skus for their consoles. 360 later introduced the elite which was an upgrade from the premium and was also more expensive. ps3 introduced the 80 gig model and took out some features from the 60 gig (the best version of the ps3). Then around the time of E3 Sony does a price cut and also announce they will be discontinuing the 20 gig. Around a month later the 360 drops its price by around $50. M$ also announces the limited edition halo 360 (ugly looking system loll). Then around a month ago Sony announces the 40 gig model which has even less features than the 80 gig and also announces a price drop. Then the 360 announces its arcade core system.

It seems to me that Sony has had to work a lot harder to sell its ps3 than M$ has to sell its 360. While Sony has had to offer 2 price cuts in one year and also take out many features from its 60 gig system Microsoft has introduced more expensive systems with better features.