By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Developers!!! STOP MAKING GAMES FOR HD CONSOLES

At the moment my list of MUST HAVE games for the rest of the year consists of:

- Super Mario Galaxy 2
- Gran Turismo 5
- Agent (unless it turns out to be crap or a GTA clone)
- The Legend of Zelda: Wii
- F1 2010

After that I have a list of games that I'm very interested in to vaguely interested in;

- Call of Duty: Black Ops
- Medal of Honor
- Red Dead Redemption
- ModNation Racers
- Golden Sun DS
- Split Second
- 3D Dot Game Heroes
- Wii Relax
- God of War 3 (waiting for price drop)
- Heavy Rain (cancelled my pre-order and I'm going to wait for a price drop)

Then the 3DS is coming out for the holidays most likely which I'll buy with probably 2 launch titles and who knows what else is going to be announced at E3... The year I'm trying to save... I think I'll pick up most of the above next year when they're cheaper :)

Honestly one game a month is plenty for me and especially something like Mario Kart, GT, CoD or Zelda that all last a good amount of time.

Around the Network
Squilliam said:
Err ok. Most new games arent worth a purchase anyway so I would rather spend $20 a month to rent them and play them once than spend $130 NZ on one new game. Steam sales make it even harder to justify any new game purchase especially when I can pick up 10 or so good games at the same time for less than what people here pay for one console game at launch.

You're a sucker if you buy first day and the console makers love you for it.

IDK. The bolded part is a bit strong.

While I agree with you that most day one games aren't worth the $60 pricetag, sucks you have to pay that much in NZ, some are worth it. And there is not much of a reason to pay so much anyways most of the time. Like I said in another post I pre-ordered RDR and only payed $40 for it off Amazon. Well I got a $20 giftcard but still nice deal. I also just bought Just Cause 2 for $40 at BB cause I'm part of there Gaming lub thingy lol. I know this one ain't really new but It's still a $60 game.

And as far as gamefly goes. I agree it's a nice service but come on do you really get the new games sent to you? I have yet to get a new game I wanted. I had 5 games skipped on my cue last week and got GoW3. Now I know GoW3 is a new game, and I like it enough although not a huge fan, but they skipped 5 friggin games. $20 a month is a new game every 3 months at full price and a lot more when you don't pay full price, and I rarely do. I'm caceling this week for sure.

Grooski said:
Squilliam said:
Err ok. Most new games arent worth a purchase anyway so I would rather spend $20 a month to rent them and play them once than spend $130 NZ on one new game. Steam sales make it even harder to justify any new game purchase especially when I can pick up 10 or so good games at the same time for less than what people here pay for one console game at launch.

So not only will you not support a single developer by buying a game at full price, you then state you'd rather rent the games, so you won't give game developers any income at all?

I know most people can't afford first day purchases, but at least they give some income when the price drops.

Your call, but you shouldn't whinge when the next devs go out of business. You are, after all, playing their creative works while giving them nothing for it.

I said most not all new games aren't worth a purchase anyway. I know I'll definately be buying Fallout: Vegas, Civilization V and probably Mech Warrior, Halo: Reach and Crackdown 2. Thats their pound of flesh for the year, 5 games is above the yearly average of 3 titles for a console owner.

Besides, the local rental store owners need to make a living too! If I pay them then the rental stores miss out. Thankfully they are local businesses so IMO their needs trump international publishing companies with cynical motives.

But without those "suckers" we'd all be stuck with Wii quality games. Thank god for those people who support the games I personally love.

I rarely pay full price for a game though. Mass Effect 2 being the only game I paid $60 for. The next will probably be Fallout Vegas.

Well hey, just because they are suckers for me doesn't mean I have to be a sucker in return!

I almost bought Mass Effect 2 but I held off because as Fallout: New Vegas was coming out this year. I generally only get one or two RPG titles in a year. Usually there are 2-4 of Wii titles I get for between 1/3 to 1/2 off because of their local play potential however to keep the lady happy.

Tease.

forest-spirit said:
I've had a problem with to many games to get since this year begun.

And you're lucky, I'll most probably play this year's favourites of mine after 2013, if my backlog doesn't furtherly grow...

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

Kage848 said:
Squilliam said:

While I agree with you that most day one games aren't worth the $60 pricetag, sucks you have to pay that much in NZ, some are worth it. And there is not much of a reason to pay so much anyways most of the time. Like I said in another post I pre-ordered RDR and only payed $40 for it off Amazon. Well I got a $20 giftcard but still nice deal. I also just bought Just Cause 2 for $40 at BB cause I'm part of there Gaming lub thingy lol. I know this one ain't really new but It's still a $60 game.

And as far as gamefly goes. I agree it's a nice service but come on do you really get the new games sent to you? I have yet to get a new game I wanted. I had 5 games skipped on my cue last week and got GoW3. Now I know GoW3 is a new game, and I like it enough although not a huge fan, but they skipped 5 friggin games. $20 a month is a new game every 3 months at full price and a lot more when you don't pay full price, and I rarely do. I'm caceling this week for sure.

Well you're a sucker if you have to pay $85-90USD for games! Especially when I can get games off Steam for usually $10-30 U.S.D. on sale.

I don't use Gamefly I rock on over to the rental place just down the road and I pick something out. I can get day one new release games if I really want them by booking in advance. Alternatively I split the cost with friends like with Final Fantasy XIII I split it 4 ways and I only put in 1/5th the cost since I didn't care if I was last in line. Multiple discs just makes game sharing a tonne easier.

Tease.

Around the Network
Squilliam said:
Kage848 said:
Squilliam said:

Well you're a sucker if you have to pay $85-90USD for games! Especially when I can get games off Steam for usually $10-30 U.S.D. on sale.

I don't use Gamefly I rock on over to the rental place just down the road and I pick something out. I can get day one new release games if I really want them by booking in advance. Alternatively I split the cost with friends like with Final Fantasy XIII I split it 4 ways and I only put in 1/5th the cost since I didn't care if I was last in line. Multiple discs just makes game sharing a tonne easier.

Yea If I had to pay that much for games I'd be pissed too. Steam really is the best thing EVER! I won't even buy a PC game unless it's on steam anymore.

And that gaming rental store sounds nice. Do they let you keep the games as long as you like?

Kage848 said:
Squilliam said:

Yea If I had to pay that much for games I'd be pissed too. Steam really is the best thing EVER! I won't even buy a PC game unless it's on steam anymore.

And that gaming rental store sounds nice. Do they let you keep the games as long as you like?

I am pissed. Sometimes Steam is great and other times Steam sucks. Sometimes its all in U.S.D. and charging U.S. prices but other times its in U.S. dollars but charging a local price! In these instances I get it from the local online game store.

I can't keep them as long as I want but that means I get through them. Usually more time is just counter productive anyway, and with most games under 10 hours long its no issue to finish them in a week. The more I rent, the cheaper it is so I have every incentive to rent as much as possible. I can have each game for 1-8 days for new ones and I can keep extending the old ones out. This is where patience comes in handy, I lose nothing waiting a month for a game and therefore get cheaper prices.

Tease.

I dont have time to finish the games I buy :(

I am getting Red Dead Redemption and Mod Nation Racers, so I dont think I'll finish 3D Dot Game Heroes...also I am trying to finish Bioshock2 which i bought earlier this month

I agree the releases should have been spaced out there are too many games that i want,that i cant even remeber them all now : (

I Hate the fact that all these pillows are contaminated by retard!!

All I need is:

Alan Wake
Splinter Cell: Conviction
Sonic and Sega All Stars Racing

Wii
No More Heroes 2

PS3
God of War 3
Mod Nation Racers

And I'll be satisfied.....until SMG2, Metroid, and Halo: Reach hit.