By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Ubuntu 10.4 (Lynx Lucid) impressions!

I got it weeks ago, or was it just a week?

I hadn't used 9.10 all that much when it came out so I really saw no big difference other than the placement of the window command buttons which annoyed me greatly. After changing it I really didn't see awesome new things other than the given functionalities here and there.

Overall, it's still pretty damn cool.

Around the Network

Anyone want to offer advice on how to install Broadcom drivers? Eh-heh...

Khuutra said:

I used to work for them and as far as I can remember I worked with some official linux drivers. Depending on what your hardware is, a driver may already exist.

Tag(thx fkusumot) - "Yet again I completely fail to see your point..."

HD vs Wii, PC vs HD: http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=93374

Why Regenerating Health is a crap game mechanic: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=3986420

gamrReview's broken review scores: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=4170835

vlad321 said:
Khuutra said:

I used to work for them and as far as I can remember I worked with some official linux drivers. Depending on what your hardware is, a driver may already exist.

Uh... lemme think... Inspiron E1505 from 2006... I think it's a 440x 10/100 integrated controller, or summat

But Broadcom's site is hard to navigate, and even if I can find them there's no guarantee that I know how to install them, is the problem

Khuutra said:

You'll need to do a couple of things in this order (this usually works for most wi-fi drivers, they can be a pain on Ubuntu and but Broadcom are notoriously tricky)-

You can do it without the use of the command console now, which makes life so much easier.

1. Find out exactly what driver you need and download it from the Broadcom website, and put it on your desktop (that will makes things easier later)

2. Install ndiswrapper through the Ubuntu software centre (if you can get on the internet already with your Ubuntu system then thats the easiest way, otherwise it will be on your install disk (USB, CD, whatever)

3. open up ndiswrapper - it'll be in your system dropdown menu as Windows Wireless Drivers

4. Open up the folder with the Broadcom driver in it and find the folder that has the .inf and .sys files in it. The folder they are in should b called DRIVER or something. Drag and drop the .inf file into the ndiswrapper window.

it should then work...

if it doesn't want to let you drag and drop, or it says that it's not the correct driver, try clicking the 'Install new driver' button and pointing it to the .inf file (that;s why you put it on your desktop). remember that the .inf file must be in the same folder as the .sys file. Ndiswrapper needs them both but you only need to point it to the .inf file for some magical reason.

Hope that works for you, it did for me on 2 of my laptops. It's much easier than it used to be in the past. let us know if it works out.

Atari 2600, Sega Mega Drive, Game Boy, Game Boy Advanced, N64, Playstation, Xbox, PSP Phat, PSP 3000, and PS3 60gb (upgraded to 320gb), NDS

Linux Ubuntu user

Favourite game: Killzone 3

Around the Network

I WAS using it and liking, until I noticed the brightness control of my VAIO didn't work!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Back to Windows 7.

But war... war never changes

tyig said:
I WAS using it and liking, until I noticed the brightness control of my VAIO didn't work!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Back to Windows 7.

I have the same problem on my Sammy netbook. you can probably fix it in the Keyboard Shortcuts menu under System>preferences dropdown menu. If that doesn't work there will probably be a fix if you have a look at the Ubuntu forums.

Otherwise you will probably find that you can adjust the brightness using the hotkeys rght after you turn it on during the Bios boot screen before Ubuntu kicks in. And you can probably set the screen brightness in the bios menu.

Atari 2600, Sega Mega Drive, Game Boy, Game Boy Advanced, N64, Playstation, Xbox, PSP Phat, PSP 3000, and PS3 60gb (upgraded to 320gb), NDS

Linux Ubuntu user

ndiswrapper is great, but there may be a better solution.

A lot of Broadcom laptop drivers are something like BCM43XX, where X is some digit. For example, I have a laptop with a BCM4318 card. If you have a 43XX card, do this:

1. Open synaptic
2. Search for "b43"
3. Install b43-fwcutter

PSN: chenguo4
Current playing: No More Heroes

Okay, I did all of that, you big beautiful helpful man you.

Do I

Do I need to activate the driver anywhere after installing? It's not listed under System > Administrative > Hardware Drivers

Khuutra said:
Okay, I did all of that, you big beautiful helpful man you.

Do I

Do I need to activate the driver anywhere after installing? It's not listed under System > Administrative > Hardware Drivers

it should be listed in your 'Windows Wireless Drivers' but not anywhere else i don't think.

Did it all work then?

Linux Ubuntu user