By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Ubuntu 10.4 (Lynx Lucid) impressions!

My laptop uses lucid, definitely loving it and I've been running it almost a month now without a single problem. As far as the internet being slower, there's a good chance your wireless card is by Broadcom. It's not Ubuntu, it's Broadcom being a bunch of douche bags about their drivers, you have to get it directly from their site.

If steam for linux ends up being the real deal, I may end up saying goodbye to windows permenantly.

Around the Network
cAPSLOCK said:
My laptop uses lucid, definitely loving it and I've been running it almost a month now without a single problem. As far as the internet being slower, there's a good chance your wireless card is by Broadcom. It's not Ubuntu, it's Broadcom being a bunch of douche bags about their drivers, you have to get it directly from their site.

If steam for linux ends up being the real deal, I may end up saying goodbye to windows permenantly.

BROADCOM...!

Okay I'll go look into that

Okay I think I did it right.

Everything feels more solid, but I can't be sure

To install this, I need to create a partition and a swap allocation all by myself using 3rd party software or inside the Ubuntu CD is already a partition tool that will do everything for me?

Bamboleo said:
To install this, I need to create a partition and a swap allocation all by myself using 3rd party software or inside the Ubuntu CD is already a partition tool that will do everything for me?

The Ubuntu Live CD has its own partition tool. It can shrink yoru Windows partition for you if you like! I thought that was pretty neat.

Around the Network

That, or you can use Wubi if you don't feel like partitioning the drive, it works well and Windows treats the whole reserved space as a single file, while Ubuntu treats it as the main drive

Khuutra said:
Bamboleo said:

The Ubuntu Live CD has its own partition tool. It can shrink yoru Windows partition for you if you like! I thought that was pretty neat.

Cool, I'm trying it today then. I hope it installs good and works flawlessly.

The upgrades to Rhythmbox are super nice, I must say

Assuming they upgraded it, and I'm not just stupid

it was upgraded
it runs a lot smoother now.

I live for the burn...and the sting of pleasure...
I live for the sword, the steel, and the gun...

- Wasteland - The Mission.

very fast, even with my shitty intel, the good thing is a steam its going linux soon, now if i could play linux in it i could get rid on win 7 my main PC, win 7 is SLOW. compared to this