By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Ubuntu 10.4 (Lynx Lucid) impressions!

chenguo4 said:
ndiswrapper is great, but there may be a better solution.

A lot of Broadcom laptop drivers are something like BCM43XX, where X is some digit. For example, I have a laptop with a BCM4318 card. If you have a 43XX card, do this:

1. Open synaptic
2. Search for "b43"
3. Install b43-fwcutter

I did not know about that. pretty cool.

That's the problem with Linux sometimes, it does some awesome stuff, but you have to find the righr person to tell you about it first.

Atari 2600, Sega Mega Drive, Game Boy, Game Boy Advanced, N64, Playstation, Xbox, PSP Phat, PSP 3000, and PS3 60gb (upgraded to 320gb), NDS

Linux Ubuntu user

Favourite game: Killzone 3

Around the Network
Scruff7 said:
Khuutra said:
Okay, I did all of that, you big beautiful helpful man you.

Do I

Do I need to activate the driver anywhere after installing? It's not listed under System > Administrative > Hardware Drivers

it should be listed in your 'Windows Wireless Drivers' but not anywhere else i don't think.

Did it all work then?

Yes, absolutely. b44win is right there in that list.

Is that the whole thing, then?

Khuutra said:
Scruff7 said:
Khuutra said:
Okay, I did all of that, you big beautiful helpful man you.

Do I

Do I need to activate the driver anywhere after installing? It's not listed under System > Administrative > Hardware Drivers

it should be listed in your 'Windows Wireless Drivers' but not anywhere else i don't think.

Did it all work then?

should be. its dead simple - is it working/working better?

Atari 2600, Sega Mega Drive, Game Boy, Game Boy Advanced, N64, Playstation, Xbox, PSP Phat, PSP 3000, and PS3 60gb (upgraded to 320gb), NDS

Linux Ubuntu user

Scruff7 said:
Khuutra said:
Scruff7 said:

Did it all work then?

To test it, I loaded up a 720p video on Youtube - that's where all my connection problems have reared their heads, while streaming video.

It still crashed about fifteen seconds in.

Hrm. I'm gonna poke at some stuff

Khuutra said:
Scruff7 said:
Khuutra said:
Scruff7 said:

Did it all work then?

To test it, I loaded up a 720p video on Youtube - that's where all my connection problems have reared their heads, while streaming video.

Damn, sorry to hear that. did you try the old turn off and on again?

try looking in the Ubuntu forums. you might find an answer in there, they can be pretty useful.

Broadcom being Broadcom.

Linux Ubuntu user

Around the Network

you'll find it khuutra, i just fixed a problem with a friend's drivers he had the same problen but different driver (Ralink 3090)

I live for the burn...and the sting of pleasure...
I live for the sword, the steel, and the gun...

- Wasteland - The Mission.

Scruff7 said:
Khuutra said:

try looking in the Ubuntu forums. you might find an answer in there, they can be pretty useful.

Broadcom being Broadcom.

I'm going to go over there now (I've never been before).

And yeah, I tried the ol' reboot. It's almost like it's not using the Windows driver. Maybe I just need to switch something off...

Anyway, thank you for your help. I wouldn't have gotten this far without you.

Khuutra said:
Scruff7 said:
Khuutra said:

Broadcom being Broadcom.

I'm going to go over there now (I've never been before).

And yeah, I tried the ol' reboot. It's almost like it's not using the Windows driver. Maybe I just need to switch something off...

Anyway, thank you for your help. I wouldn't have gotten this far without you.

Shit, i just remembered something about the broadcom...

You said it was working before, just really slow - that means the basic driver that comes with Ubuntu is working, and it will still be running now. you'll need to turn off the standard generic driver (blacklist it) but i can't remember how.

then you should be able to get the correct driver operating. I'm pretty sure there will be an answer for you in the forums.

Linux Ubuntu user

Ubuntu is the best :D

I installed Kubuntu 10.04.
It looks more stable than the previous I used, 9.04, but HW detection and configuration required some tweaks, while 9.04 did everything automatically, except copying in a directory the scanner firmware, but only for copyright reasons.
While the previous versions were more permissive about some flaws Partition Manager and Windows 2000 and XP made in the partitioning, 10.04 refused it, but this was good, as while Partition Manager 2007 Rescue Disk did a disaster when I tried to delete a duplicate of a partition, deleting them all, using System Rescue CD, ad testdisk in particular, I was able to recover the correct partitioning, without errors and without losing any data. The previous attempt with a newer version of Partition Manager proposed a horrible mix between the correct partitioning and the previous ones I tried and deleted when I built the PC before deciding the final one.
So thanks to 10.04 I removed a possible source of data losses.
Other things, upgrading from 9.04, through 9.10, configured audio not well, a clean install solved it.
I must still fix mtink (statur monitor for printers), in 9.04 I managed to make it work as normal user, now it still requires sudo, I added lp group to mine, like I did in 9.04, but perhaps it needs a reboot or a reinstall...
Overall a very good distro, anyway, and a lot more stable than 9.04 when launching too many programs free RAM becomes low.
RAM used by the system and GUI alone didn't grow excessively from 9.04, and it's still comparable to Windows XP.
Flash video support looks better.
Cosmetics apart, the interface had minor changes and remained very familiar, now that I'm used to KDE's previous major changes.
Dolphin is still quite bugged, although less than before, I still prefer to use Konqueror as file manager, but I prefer Firefox to Konqueror as browser.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW!