By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Games that receive a lot of undeserved backlash

Scruff7 said:
Cross-X said:
Halo 3 and GTA IV I still don't understand why it's got so much hate.

Killzone 2 didn't deserve a lot of the uneccessary hate. Sure the campaign story wasn't so good and neither were the characters who kept swearing, but overall KZ2 is a very solid FPS and yet people try to deny it.

Have to agree with what you wrote about KZ2. I would go much further than to say 'a very solid FPS' and say it truly took the next leap into the genre.

However, there seemed to be a massive anti-killzone campaign, which i think probably did affect it's sales. for a game of that quality the sales have been pretty poor.

People slammed the length of the campaign when it was a decent length and longer than Modern Warfare campaigns. it was slammed for the drab environments even though it was visually stunning, and even the storyline and character acting were slammed.

If you thought the swearing in KZ2 was bad, try spending some time with real soldiers. they'd make Rico blush.

I was being careful of my wording when describing Killzone 2 because if I wrote, "Killzone 2 is one of the best FPS games this gen", there would be people who'd backlash and say stuff like "omg no it's not, crap controls, crap campaign, etc". If they didn't like it, it's not my fault because I thoroughly enjoyed Killzone 2.

One of the Best Enemy AI in FPS, Fantastic motion and animations of the Helghasts, Graphics are simply amazing and the Best Looking FPS on consoles so far, Great Multiplayer, etc.

Killzone 2 seriously didn't deserve so much hate.

Around the Network

There's a lot. And most of them are sequels for not living up to peoples expectations or being exact clones of their previous major hits:

Final Fantasy VIII
Chrono Cross
Pokemon Ruby/Sapphire
Super Smash Bros Brawl
Age of Empires III
Roller Coaster Tycoon 3
The Prince of Persia: Warrior Within
Nearly any sequel that comes out on the HD Consoles

A lot of other games get hate simply because they're popular. Many of them have already been named in this thread already so I don't think I need to go naming all of them but they're such games as Halo, Zelda: Ocarina of Time, Goldeneye 007, etc. Your own personal opinions of the games aside, they're still high budget games that are popular for a reason.

Then there's a third class of games. The 'why the F*** do they get the flak' games. I'd put games like Dragon Quest (any), Metroid, Muramasa, Okami, Katamari Damacy, Ninja Gaiden/Dead or Alive, Earthbound, etc in this category. Games that didn't break the bank in popularity or sales, yet get flak from more than a few people for no good reason. Most likely because of its 'hardcore niche' fanbase.

I guess the lesson is, there's someone out there that hates every game.

Six upcoming games you should look into:

Definitely Halo 3--the game is simply amazing yet so many people hate it for absolutely no reason at all.

I can name ALL of them by using only 1 sentence:

EVERY game that sells good on HD consoles. (5M+)

Kenryoku_Maxis said:
There's a lot. And most of them are sequels for not living up to peoples expectations or being exact clones of their previous major hits:

Final Fantasy VIII
Chrono Cross
Pokemon Ruby/Sapphire
Super Smash Bros Brawl
Age of Empires III
Roller Coaster Tycoon 3
The Prince of Persia: Warrior Within
Nearly any sequel that comes out on the HD Consoles

A lot of other games get hate simply because they're popular. Many of them have already been named in this thread already so I don't think I need to go naming all of them but they're such games as Halo, Zelda: Ocarina of Time, Goldeneye 007, etc. Your own personal opinions of the games aside, they're still high budget games that are popular for a reason.

Then there's a third class of games. The 'why the F*** do they get the flak' games. I'd put games like Dragon Quest (any), Metroid, Muramasa, Okami, Katamari Damacy, Ninja Gaiden/Dead or Alive, Earthbound, etc in this category. Games that didn't break the bank in popularity or sales, yet get flak from more than a few people for no good reason. Most likely because of its 'hardcore niche' fanbase.

I guess the lesson is, there's someone out there that hates every game.

There's nothing wrong with disliking or hating those games, as long as the individual has valid reasons why. Most haters don't provide a valid reason why, they just repeate the following three quotes:

1. "It sux"
  2. "I hate it!"
  3. "Its stupid!"

Around the Network
CollectiveCynic said:

What games do you think receive a lot of undeserved negative feedback from the majority of gamers?

Here are my picks:

• Halo (Despite the fact I'm only a fan of the first Halo)
  • Final Fantasy (Not a big fan of the series outside of VI, VII, and IV)
  • Call of Duty 4 & Modern Warfare 2 (Despite my disdain towards Modern Warfare 2, the hatred it receives is ridiculous)
  • Resident Evil 4 & 5
  • Gears of War 1 & 2
  • Crysis & Crysis Warhead
  • Street Fighter IV
  • Grand Theft Auto IV (Overrated by critics, underrated by the gaming community)
  • Chrono Cross
  • Far Cry 2

Halo - I don't understand why it gets hated on so much, I personally think it just went stale and that there are other games out there that deserve that kind of attention but don't get any. I don't hate Halo I just was wishing for them to revise the gameplay and they did with Halo Reach, although they didn't change alot.

Final Fantasy - Again I don't understand why it would be hated.

Call of Duty 4 & Modern Warfare 2 - Change is expected when a sequel is released, and there just wasn't one.

Resident Evil 4 & 5 -  Better than the original gameplay but I wish they would of made the game faster paced and not so...slow I guess.

Gear of War 1 & 2 - I don't know why anybody would even think of hating these games they are amazing.

Crysis & Crysis Warhead - Best graphics on a video game EVER!, poor to mediocre story.

Street Fighter IV - Fun Beat em Up arcade style game, but no depth, it doesn't draw you in like a good game should,  guess if you like the genre this game is great, but for me I just can't see me playing for more than 20 minutes.

Grand Theft Auto IV - Trashed the old formula, now its more realistic, but good news for all of you GTA III-San Andreas fans, you can go buy Saints Row 2 and get he same feel as San Andreas.

Chrono Cross - Forgive me for not knowing this game even existed.

Far Cry 2 - I have no idea.

Resident Evil 4 got backlash for single-handedly reviving the RE brand, improving on RE's gameplay by a billion percent, making the GameCube relevant again, and having the greatest graphics of last generation, really now?

I thought it was universally acclaimed by like anyone who is a real gamer.

As for games that get a lot of undeserved backlash, my 2 cents is Kirby Air Ride. Yes, it's not the greatest game. But averaging a 61 on metacritic? The game isn't that bad. It's a lot of fun :)

Metroid Prime 2: Echoes.
Also, I think I've never seen a person say something bad about Resident Evil 4. Ever.

Ninpanda said:
Metroid Prime 2: Echoes.
Also, I think I've never seen a person say something bad about Resident Evil 4. Ever.

This post is made of pure win.

Gosh I love Prime 2 more than 1 and 3....combined. Such a challenging game.

I think it's illegal to say anything bad about RE4.

TheNoobHolocaust said:
CollectiveCynic said:

What games do you think receive a lot of undeserved negative feedback from the majority of gamers?

Here are my picks:

• Halo (Despite the fact I'm only a fan of the first Halo)
  • Final Fantasy (Not a big fan of the series outside of VI, VII, and IV)
  • Call of Duty 4 & Modern Warfare 2 (Despite my disdain towards Modern Warfare 2, the hatred it receives is ridiculous)
  • Resident Evil 4 & 5
  • Gears of War 1 & 2
  • Crysis & Crysis Warhead
  • Street Fighter IV
  • Grand Theft Auto IV (Overrated by critics, underrated by the gaming community)
  • Chrono Cross
  • Far Cry 2

Halo - I don't understand why it gets hated on so much, I personally think it just went stale and that there are other games out there that deserve that kind of attention but don't get any. I don't hate Halo I just was wishing for them to revise the gameplay and they did with Halo Reach, although they didn't change alot.

Final Fantasy - Again I don't understand why it would be hated.

Call of Duty 4 & Modern Warfare 2 - Change is expected when a sequel is released, and there just wasn't one.

Resident Evil 4 & 5 -  Better than the original gameplay but I wish they would of made the game faster paced and not so...slow I guess.

Gear of War 1 & 2 - I don't know why anybody would even think of hating these games they are amazing.

Crysis & Crysis Warhead - Best graphics on a video game EVER!, poor to mediocre story.

Street Fighter IV - Fun Beat em Up arcade style game, but no depth, it doesn't draw you in like a good game should,  guess if you like the genre this game is great, but for me I just can't see me playing for more than 20 minutes.

Grand Theft Auto IV - Trashed the old formula, now its more realistic, but good news for all of you GTA III-San Andreas fans, you can go buy Saints Row 2 and get he same feel as San Andreas.

Chrono Cross - Forgive me for not knowing this game even existed.

Far Cry 2 - I have no idea.

From what I've played from the Halo Reach Beta, it's quite different from the last two (Not counting Wars and ODST) Halo games, it plays like a revamped Halo: CE, which is a good thing.

How does a poor story equate to a poor game? Crysis story is piss poor with a script not even Hollywood would've greenlighted, but the gameplay is top tier. No game offers amount of freedom and tactical options as Crysis provides. Most great games have poor storylines, take Ninja Gaiden and the Resident Evil series for example, take pan a game for having a weak story yet praising another for offering great gameplay yet criticizing it for poor storytelling is quite hypocritical.

Street Fighter IV has no depth?! You serious? Have you match up with yourself with experiance players online? Did you realize that there's a counter-balance to opponents offensive and defensive attacks with a well balance character roster, you must have little knowledge or played very little to make such a claim. You might as well claim fighting games like Dead or Alive or Mortal Kombat as "really deep" fighters.