By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony might not make a PS4?

You have to look at the company as a whole.

PS3 - Made to Push Blueray and it SUCCEEDED at that.

PS2- Made to Push DVD and it SUCCEEDED at that.

Sony is not Nintendo (Gaming Company)
Sony is not Microsoft (Software company)
Sony is an Entertainment Company (Hardware, Movie Studio, Music Studio)

You really cannot compare the 3. (Sony is closest to MS however, using the gaming part of the company to push other parts of your company)

The PS3 will be around for awhile. Selling a Blueray, 3D enabled system that has internet access? Should be able to stick around for a good bit, even after PS4 is released.

Around the Network

Hmm... yeah, there will be a PS4. Sony's had too much success to let one money sink get them out. Besides, there seems to be a pattern that I've noticed. A first console release will scare out many companies. And of those that stick around, you seem to get 4 wild throws before you're told to walk out of consoles. The other 2 (arguably) big console makers each had 4 failures before leaving: Atari had the 5200, 7800, Lynx, and Jaguar, whereas Sega had Sega CD, 32X, Saturn, and Dreamcast before exiting. Sure, there's still the exception (2 Wonderswans only), but in the end, I think Sony's got a few more lumps to take. Now, if both PS4 and PSP2 fail, then I could see them leaving...

-dunno001

-On a quest for the truly perfect game; I don't think it exists...

I think the fact that Sony has been so willing to stick with the PS3, even though it may be a net loss even after 10 years (yeah I said it), indicates that they are committed to this venture and we'll definitely see a PS4.

I suspect they'll take some notes from Nintendo next time (and not so much MS) and put themselves in a position to make a profit no matter what marketshare they end up with, but for sure PS4 is in the works.

If PS4 is unsuccessful, then they'll call it quits.

Ofcourse there will be a PS4.

Sony profited extremly through bluray from the PS3 and probably will profit through3D also they invested in PSN. Sony sees the losses as Investments to get a foot in DD BR and 3D.

Even if PS3 wont make up the losses it was still a win situation since its like a trojan horse for a whole lot of technologies which will help all other Sony departments.

Also Sony was extremly succesful before PS3: Most succesful Homeconsole second Most succesful Homeconsole and Most succesful non Nintendo Handheld.

Someone really think they will just give up ? They are not in the situation Sega was not nearly. Sega had no money if this guy hadn died and give all of his money to Sega they would be bankrupt now.

Sony is in a completly other financial situation and the PS3 was in a lot of ways lucrative for the whole company. And they wont change the Playstation brand name. And they wont go fo Nintendo way. I read that quite sometime in a whole lot of threads we will just see a tiny update in the future and Sony and MS will go the Nintendo way:

MS and Sony definetly KNOW that if one of them will go the Nintendo way. the other one will get the bigger and more lucrative market. And fighting against Nintendo on its home turf. bad Idea.

PS3+Xbox360 market= Bigger and way more lucrative since together way more software sold then Nintendo.

Sony knows they have to give the market what it wants. A powerful beast graphics wise without too much features noone is going to need. Bluray is cheap and will be even cheaper by then. So its ok. The PS4 does need a whole lot of Horse Power thats all. New CPU new GPU and 12 times more Ram like always.

Sony and Microsoft wont go the Nintendo way since they would loose EVERYTHING. They could just quit the whole buisness instead of going Nintendos way.

If Sony wont update the PS4 heavily then all people I know will buy a Xbox720 (me included).

If MS will sell a Xbox2 1/4 with Natal its going to flop extremly. People just see oh Nintendo is succesful now all have to do what Nintendo did.

But thats false. The Core market is bigger software and hardware wise. Someone has to cater to the old audience. If all three would go Nintendo way whole market would crash.
And Sony not making a PS4 is the most stupid question I ever heard.

But I dont care if MS makes a real next gen console I will follow them. And if MS doesnt either I will go to PC gaming or quit totally. But I definetly know this is not going to happen. MS and Sony cant just put on a new make up and do completly other things and share the smaller part of the market with Nintendo.

Porcupine_I said:
Sony will definitely make a PS4 the real question is will they make a PS5?

isn't that dependent on PS4

Around the Network
Aymudnp said:
i think it will be a long time before we get next gen, with the constant updates and the move comming out. plus the fact they have not got the most out of the ps3 means 2015 maybe 2017 we mite just see the ps4

WTF?

"PS4 in 2015 mabe 2017"..................................................lmao

PS4 and other consoles will be here in 2012

Just because Move came out doesn't mean PS4 will be delayed.Console industry go by strategy and by it PS4 will be out in 2012

Solid_Snake4RD said:
Porcupine_I said:
Sony will definitely make a PS4 the real question is will they make a PS5?

isn't that dependent on PS4

yes, that was exactly what i tried to imply

“It appeared that there had even been demonstrations to thank Big Brother for raising the chocolate ration to twenty grams a week. And only yesterday, he reflected, it had been announced that the ration was to be reduced to twenty grams a week. Was it possible that they could swallow that, after only twenty-four hours? Yes, they swallowed it.”

- George Orwell, ‘1984’

Stefan.De.Machtige said:
Solid_Snake4RD said:
andremop said:

Gamecube profitted guys... it's not like it lost 7plus billions...

There's a possibility... but it's not probable. There'll be a PS4... just not with this name. It'll be Sony's Wii, a different name, a different image.

how does gamecube compare to PS3.wasn't gamecube profiting from start,it just wasn't succesfull but it was selling on profit.

PS3 has lost alot but it was for blu-ray and blu-ray will reward for the next 10 years with PS4 and other devices

Also PS4 won't be Sony's Wii,you think they developed blu-ray for that. People will again embrace the hardcore games just that PS3's price was so high that they had to go for the cheap WII. PS4 will be cheap so people wouldn't have to compromise

I don't think you understand why the wii sells. It sells because it's mainstream, like the PS2 and PS1 before it.

Yes it is mainstream but not just because of games but also because of price

PS3 could put out the same games but it was triple what average income people buy.

if PS1 and PS2 were mainstream then PS3 is too.Whats the difference?

Mainstrem just means adopted by wide number of people.If PS3 was $250 at launch no ways Wii would have been on top

rmarier83 said:
joeorc said:

and since the Cell processor in the PS3 will soon go to the 22nm scale!,that also mean's more profit there also.

The Cell currently sits at 45nm, the next step will be 32nm (I'm guessing will happen this Summer/Fall).  Only after 32nm has been on the market for about 2-3 years will a new die shrink occur.

It's funny how this generation of console price actually mattered unlike the generation before it were PS2 always costed $100 USD more than the GC.

read IBM release cycle they are skipping 32nm they are going straight to 22nm scale with the Cell.

IBM and partners including AMD first to 22nm

though IBM also states:

An IBM researcher recently warned of "design rule explosion" beyond the 22-nm node during a paper presentation earlier this month at the International Symposium on Physical Design (ISPD). Kevin Nowka, senior manager of VLSI Systems at the IBM Austin Research Lab, described the physical design challenges beyond the 22-nm node, emphasizing that sub-wavelength lithography has made silicon image fidelity a serious challenge.

I AM BOLO

100% lover "nothing else matter's" after that...

ps:

Proud psOne/2/3/p owner.  I survived Aplcalyps3 and all I got was this lousy Signature.

Sony HAS profited on the ps3. They haven't profited on hardware..that's it. PSN and games have more than made up for this deficit. I'm not sure what this article means. Not only that, but they now make profit on the actual console as well.