By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony might not make a PS4?

jayke said:
Sony HAS profited on the ps3. They haven't profited on hardware..that's it. PSN and games have more than made up for this deficit. I'm not sure what this article means. Not only that, but they now make profit on the actual console as well.

They proffited?? Sorry, no offense, but are you NUTS???

if they proffited on the PS3, from where that 7 billion + loss on their gaming disvision came from??

BTW... they recently released a note saying PSN is still not profittable too.

Around the Network
jayke said:
Sony HAS profited on the ps3. They haven't profited on hardware..that's it. PSN and games have more than made up for this deficit. I'm not sure what this article means. Not only that, but they now make profit on the actual console as well.

the official statement, even bloomberg posted this is for the past 3 month's :

"During the three month period Sony started making money on each console sold."

at this point.

the hardware of the PS3 is not the loss leader anymore.

and soon the cost of the Cell will be further reduced.

Now this does not erase all the losses sofar which is near 5 billion but atleast their back to profitability now

I AM BOLO

100% lover "nothing else matter's" after that...

ps:

Proud psOne/2/3/p owner.  I survived Aplcalyps3 and all I got was this lousy Signature.

Why would Sony stop making consoles? It practically propped up their company for a few years when nearly all their other divisions were failing. Now that the tables are reversed, they won't just drop the gaming division and bet everything on Blu Ray and their investments in the Movie/Music industry. Plus whatever they can invent down the road.

I'd sooner think Microsoft will pull out of the console industry next gen than Sony.

Six upcoming games you should look into:

andremop said:
jayke said:

if they proffited on the PS3, from where that 7 billion + loss on their gaming disvision came from??

the losses now are more from the other part's of the div.

TV's. an such

and the losses were also from past production, and also FURTHER R&D.

it's not 7+ billion it's near 5 billion but anyway that's still quite a chunk of change that will take year's to get back if they ever do. but with restructure and streamlining their biz. are working. Already sir howard has done a very good jub, doing just that.

I AM BOLO

ps:

Proud psOne/2/3/p owner.  I survived Aplcalyps3 and all I got was this lousy Signature.

andremop said:
jayke said:

din't yo say what he said.

he meant other then PS3 console they profited.I know its kinda irky comment

But the console launch is made up by blu-ray success and future sales.So PS4 will be there

Around the Network
Solid_Snake4RD said:
Stefan.De.Machtige said:
Solid_Snake4RD said:
andremop said:

Gamecube profitted guys... it's not like it lost 7plus billions...

There's a possibility... but it's not probable. There'll be a PS4... just not with this name. It'll be Sony's Wii, a different name, a different image.

how does gamecube compare to PS3.wasn't gamecube profiting from start,it just wasn't succesfull but it was selling on profit.

PS3 has lost alot but it was for blu-ray and blu-ray will reward for the next 10 years with PS4 and other devices

Also PS4 won't be Sony's Wii,you think they developed blu-ray for that. People will again embrace the hardcore games just that PS3's price was so high that they had to go for the cheap WII. PS4 will be cheap so people wouldn't have to compromise

I don't think you understand why the wii sells. It sells because it's mainstream, like the PS2 and PS1 before it.

Yes it is mainstream but not just because of games but also because of price

PS3 could put out the same games but it was triple what average income people buy.

if PS1 and PS2 were mainstream then PS3 is too.Whats the difference?

Mainstrem just means adopted by wide number of people.If PS3 was $250 at launch no ways Wii would have been on top

I seriously doubt that. The wii is selling because of the games. The price made it acceptabel for the mainstream, but the games sold it. People buy consoles for the games.

The wii-series had the broadest appeal of any videogames. That's why the wii is selling. Even if the PS3 was the same in price, it wouldn't be in games' appeal.   

In the wilderness we go alone with our new knowledge and strength.

WarmachineX said:
its 2 strikes and your out in the gaming biz. If sony does poorly with the next one they're gone. I also EXTREMELY doubt the ps3 will be around as long as the ps2 for 2 reasons: technology is way better than it was then so its easier to whip out a new one and second, the ps2 was extremely successful, the ps3 was a flop.

This.  I wouldn't call the PS3 a flop though, as it has sold more than any last place console so far.  I would merely say that the 10 year plan only applies if you have the leading console in sales.  It's the retailers that control the lifespan of the consoles.  If they can still sell tons of software without sacrificing shelf space, they'll do it.  This is why they keep the top console from the previous gen for a few years into the new generation, because it has the most software selling potential.

nightsurge said:
WarmachineX said:
its 2 strikes and your out in the gaming biz. If sony does poorly with the next one they're gone. I also EXTREMELY doubt the ps3 will be around as long as the ps2 for 2 reasons: technology is way better than it was then so its easier to whip out a new one and second, the ps2 was extremely successful, the ps3 was a flop.

This.  I wouldn't call the PS3 a flop though, as it has sold more than any last place console so far.  I would merely say that the 10 year plan only applies if you have the leading console in sales.  It's the retailers that control the lifespan of the consoles.  If they can still sell tons of software without sacrificing shelf space, they'll do it.  This is why they keep the top console from the previous gen for a few years into the new generation, because it has the most software selling potential.

that's not true In my opinion at all. you would not have to be #1 to get support for 10 year's for a product.

the fact that the Company such as Sony does support their hardware over time even if the hardware in the market is not # 1.

anyway

"it's the demand for the system" that will keep it on the shelf.  If the system is still in high demand than it will still keep selling! the PS3 may be the last place system, but that demand for the playstation 3 has increased.

the other factor is it's not even at a Low price yet. even when the new system's get released, the demand for the PS3 would have to dry up to the point that the store's could no longer sell the system. in my opinion the PS3 is no way near trending to that point. Nor do i see it trending anywhere near that even in the next couple of year's.

I AM BOLO

ps:

joeorc said:
nightsurge said:
WarmachineX said:

that's not true In my opinion at all. you would not have to be #1 to get support for 10 year's for a product.

the fact that the Company such as Sony does support their hardware over time even if the hardware in the market is not # 1.

anyway

"it's the demand for the system" that will keep it on the shelf.  If the system is still in high demand than it will still keep selling! the PS3 may be the last place system, but that demand for the playstation 3 has increased.

the other factor is it's not even at a Low price yet. even when the new system's get released, the demand for the PS3 would have to dry up to the point that the store's could no longer sell the system. in my opinion the PS3 is no way near trending to that point. Nor do i see it trending anywhere near that even in the next couple of year's.

Actually it is the retailers.  I'll go into more detail:

Retailers have space for only a certain amount of consoles, handhelds, and all their games.  When new hardware comes out, it usually takes over the space of the predecessor (maybe not the whole space right away, but after a year or so it completely takes over).  This is because there is not enough space to keep the old consoles and games along with the new ones.  Retailers tend to keep the top selling console from the previous gen in order to continue to maximize on software sales.  This is because the new consoles will not be selling as much software for the first year or 2 until the install base increases.

There is simply not enough shelf space to support keeping 2 or 3 more consoles at retail.  It doesn't matter how long Sony or MS or Nintendo pledge to support their consoles as the retailers are the ones that will decide and with the Wii being both the top seller and the top software seller, it is likely to be the only one kept on more than a year or 2 after the next generation starts.

nightsurge said:
joeorc said:
nightsurge said:
WarmachineX said:

anyway

Actually it is the retailers.  I'll go into more detail:

Retailers have space for only a certain amount of consoles, handhelds, and all their games.  When new hardware comes out, it usually takes over the space of the predecessor (maybe not the whole space right away, but after a year or so it completely takes over).  This is because there is not enough space to keep the old consoles and games along with the new ones.  Retailers tend to keep the top selling console from the previous gen in order to continue to maximize on software sales.  This is because the new consoles will not be selling as much software for the first year or 2 until the install base increases.

There is simply not enough shelf space to support keeping 2 or 3 more consoles at retail.  It doesn't matter how long Sony or MS or Nintendo pledge to support their consoles as the retailers are the ones that will decide and with the Wii being both the top seller and the top software seller, it is likely to be the only one kept on more than a year or 2 after the next generation starts.

even if they take shelf space the fact is if the consumer "damand's" more of the product store's will not put the product that's in demand less shelf space. what your trying to do is paint that the PS3 not being in first place has to be the #1 spot to get that demand for the stores to keep its shelf space viable. and that was exactly what was stated back in 2007 and 2008 that demand for the PS3 would further erode it's shelf space. which here we are at 2010 and the PS3 has just as much shelf space if not more now.

the demand for the PS3 has increased not slowed!

Do you think the demand for the PS3 is going to vastly shrink in the next couple of year's? when the PS3's price is yet to be at the sub $200.00 sales sku. we have no I dea how it would go in the next couple of year's, but for my guess I see no trend of the PS3's demand drying up where it would start to sell less and less software, not the way the 1st party and 2nd party have been putting out quality Game's for the PS3.

this goes for the xbox360 also , there is too much demand for the product for the software sales to dry up in anywhere near the future unless if the New xbox 720 or what name they give it, and the consumer's drop demand for the xbox360 instead start buying only the new xbox software.

Microsoft has never had two system's running in the game console market at the same time selling on the shelf at the same time to it's consumer base. this future released xbox when it get's released eat into the xbox360 software sale's?

unlike Microsoft Sony has already done that not once but 3 time's now.

sony has had the

PS2

the PSP

and the PS3 all on the shelf at the same time.

I AM BOLO

ps: