By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Website Topics - Do we still use the sales banners?

ioi said:
Auto-generating on the front page isn't a problem, it is manually having to create the pngs each time i do an update for signature banners that i get fed up with

Ah, I see now.  In that case, could you simply deploy a table of numbers then? I still like to see the numbers on the front page, but I can deal with text-only.

Maybe you can provide a button on the hardware page to auto-generate the banner for anyone who uses it?

There is no such thing as a console war. This is the first step to game design.

Around the Network

In fact, could you copy the weekly sales chart on the front page, but use LTD stats instead of weekly numbers?

There is no such thing as a console war. This is the first step to game design.

ioi said:
Auto-generating on the front page isn't a problem, it is manually having to create the pngs each time i do an update for signature banners that i get fed up with

Might it be possible to automate it?  Can you give details how you generate it?

jlauro said:
ioi said:

Might it be possible to automate it? Can you give details how you generate it?

I'm guessing he loads the front page, presses printscreen, pastes into his favorite image editor, and crops several times.

I understand the question now ioi, I misread it earlier.  There are definitely plugins out there that will automatically create these images... but it's not my area of expertise.  :/  Sorry.

ioi said:

I'm ok with you taking them down if it will free up your time to change the hardware shipment page 

Around the Network

I want them to stay /tear....

How much of a hassle is it to update them? It seems like it would be fairly easy with an image that has layers, but I don't know how you are currently doing it. The other possibility is that you could automate the process, I know there are ways to dynamically apply text to an image, I have just never looked into the methods for doing it.

Also if they are eating up a lot of bandwidth I can understand why you would want to get rid of them, but that doesn't make a lot of sense if the original concern of the thread was that nobody was using them (I do).

edit: try this: http://www.thescripts.com/serversidescripting/php/articles/dynamicimagesinphp3.0/index.html

This will dynamically create the image every time a page is loaded so it isn't useful as a url link for image hosting, but it is useful to quickly create the images when you do updates.  Then all you would need to do is save each of the dynamically created images over the old ones.  Its not 100% ideal but its simple and might speed up the process.

To Each Man, Responsibility

ioi I use them for the myspace page, I just went to update it then and it seems as though you already have unless it's auto-updated?

If you want some help PM me, I'll help you make .swf flash files that dynamically update with the data that dynamically updates them on the front page, that will work with signatures wont it?

I use them. Perhaps you could find a way to re-code them that uses less bandwidth and requires less maintenance? I'm sure there are bound to be other ways.

SW-5120-1900-6153

ioi said:
No, no. The front page are dynamic html - the banners i create manually. If they are not being used outside of this forum then there probably isn't much point in keeping them unless someone has some clever code that can auto-generate them
You are kidding right. Whats the problem with autogenerating them?