By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - You Need To Buy Alan Wake!

^^
lol i am not arguing or anything, i just wish people would think for themselves rather than a guy behind a desk with a job to play games opinion.

i didn't say they shouldn't do it, someone has to do it, but i take them with a grain of sugar (because i like salt damnit!)

I live for the burn...and the sting of pleasure...
I live for the sword, the steel, and the gun...

- Wasteland - The Mission.

Around the Network

Alan Wake is probably a good/ great game but this thread is getting ridiculous there could be one of these for every big launch should I go make a thread for 3d Dot heroes or Red Dead Redemption what about for super street fighter 4 all great games critically but that many threads would be pointless

CGI-Quality said:
selnor said:

Well Alan Wake has gotten more than 35 perfect scores across the web. But some big name review sites, deteriate the review score for the game. Complaining about things that are exactly the same as games like SH 1 or 2. Resi 1 or 2. Or any other linear non variety gameplay horror game. But because it obviously has more atmosphere than any other game, and is exclsuiev they have to try and keep both fanboys happy.

The problem with that is, according to the reviewers, WAKE is JUST doing things that have been done already. They consider it's formula "tired" and that is why lots of the reviews have graded it the way that they have.

On the topic of Metro 2033, it may have more atmosphere than Gears of War, which of course is strict opinion, but it wasn't as enjoyable, nor was it seen as something fresh. Also, you saying it has more atmosphere than any Valve game, we 100% contrast there. I've yet to play any shooter as deep and fulfilling as Half-Life 2.

OT: No need to tell me. It's been on my radar since early-mid 2005. :P

I do see your point. But I have not played 1 original game this gen. I have played games with some new ideas on an existing genre. But no original games like I think your talking about.

Problem is, with a controller in your hand and the limitations of peak performance this gen. Games will not be origina. The Wii has had the only original games. Now I dont mind a game being original or not. TV series are never original anymore. They are just different stories with the same cliche's played out differently.

Horror/pshych genre is pretty much gameplayed out already. It cant be original in the survival aspect with a standard controller. What they can do is tell a decent story with amazing atmosphere. Should it get marked down because te gameplay isnt original? Thats your call. But personally every game including Mass Effect 2 and Uncharted 2 should be marked down then for the same reason.

On Metro 2033. After playing that through. I was on the edge of my seat. Little things like whistles in the tunnels from the russians. Bustling Metro's with plenty of life ( Unlike the sparse Half Life 2 stations ). A believeable game world ( Alot due to atmosphere ) In comparison to the stiff, over exagerated Half Life 2 world. In fact IMO Half Life 2 is overated becasue it's a PC FPS first and foremost. It's almost like because PC boys get all hot under the collar about PC FPS being amazing, that certain PC FPS's have to be great.

However I'm not to scared to say that I would much rather play through the Sublime Metro again rather than HL2 if I had a choice. HL2 was a good game. But by no means the best FPS for me. Metro takes your heart strings, your fear and your wonder and mixes them to a very impressive cocktail. Clever game designs like bulets for money or nausia when sedation kicks in.

Metro is massively underated this gen. It desevred every bit to sit above Gears 1 with a 95 meta IMO.

selnor said:
Great to hear it's awesome.

Metro 2033, was a fantastic game. In fact it had more atmosphere than any Valve game EVER. It had perfect feeling with great animation and awesome story. They compalin about some linear gameplay and shooting mechanics. There is nothing wrong with some linear parts to games. ( Damn reviews complain about to many open world games ). And Fallout 3's shooting mechanics were far worse than Metro's. If Metro was just a FPS then I would understand complaints against the shooting mechanic. But it's very very clearly more than just a shooter.

It would seem people in review postions are completely off the ball.

So much so, I think Metro 2033 is better than both Gears of War games.

Whats the point?

Well Alan Wake has gotten more than 35 perfect scores across the web. But some big name review sites, deteriate the review score for the game. Complaining about things that are exactly the same as games like SH 1 or 2. Resi 1 or 2. Or any other linear non variety gameplay horror game. But because it obviously has more atmosphere than any other game, and is exclsuiev they have to try and keep both fanboys happy.

Grow up reviewers. Metro deserved more praise than Gears for it's execution. I every single normal gamer that Ive heard from who played Alan Wake so far has said it's better than any horror/Phsycological game. Personally I havent played it yet.

But Edge and other reviewers need to shut their god damn superiority thing up.

Rant over.

Selnor, I know you really like Alan Wake, but how is it that you praise it so much, if you havent even played?

How can you say that EDGE needs to shut their superiority thing up if you don't really know exactly what they are talking about? Its different form seeing all the trailers, reading all the previews and reviews, than playing the Actual game, don't you think?

I think that saying that reviewers need to grow up based on reviews of a game that you totally like but haven't played, its irresponsible.

I personally recommend that you play the game, feel it, and the make a proper opinion. Maybe you will be right, maybe the game its absolutely amazing, the best in the horror genre and stuff, but there is still a chance that in fact its not that good, right?

Please don't take it too personally.

flacomeza said:
selnor said:

Metro 2033, was a fantastic game. In fact it had more atmosphere than any Valve game EVER. It had perfect feeling with great animation and awesome story. They compalin about some linear gameplay and shooting mechanics. There is nothing wrong with some linear parts to games. ( Damn reviews complain about to many open world games ). And Fallout 3's shooting mechanics were far worse than Metro's. If Metro was just a FPS then I would understand complaints against the shooting mechanic. But it's very very clearly more than just a shooter.

Whats the point?

Grow up reviewers. Metro deserved more praise than Gears for it's execution. I every single normal gamer that Ive heard from who played Alan Wake so far has said it's better than any horror/Phsycological game. Personally I havent played it yet.

Rant over.

Selnor, I know you really like Alan Wake, but how is it that you praise it so much, if you havent even played?

How can you say that EDGE needs to shut their superiority thing up if you don't really know exactly what they are talking about? Its different form seeing all the trailers, reading all the previews and reviews, than playing the Actual game, don't you think?

I think that saying that reviewers need to grow up based on reviews of a game that you totally like but haven't played, its irresponsible.

I personally recommend that you play the game, feel it, and the make a proper opinion. Maybe you will be right, maybe the game its absolutely amazing, the best in the horror genre and stuff, but there is still a chance that in fact its not that good, right?

I havent taken it personally. :)

I understand your point.

Thats why I used MEtro as an example.

Metro got some amazing reviews. By reviewers who seemed to understand what the game was. In essence not an out and out FPS like Halo or HL2 etc. It was more a Bioshock Fallout hybrid. Therefore is going to appeal to a slightly different market than the Halo market. But some reviewers marked it right down. For reasons of off shooting mechanics ( Have you ever played Fallout 3, poor shooting mechanics ) and some linear elements. Now Bioshock was hugely linear. Bioshock shooting was not particularly great yet most reviewers loved it. Metro is the same type of game. It has atmosphere every bit as good as Bioshock. But also has better visuals to boot. Yet look at it's meta? IMO something went drastically wrong with some of the reviews.

Alan Wake looks similar. Complaints about things which arent the games fault, but more the genres fault. And in essence these are actually things that people who like the genre are used to. Basically we dont play this genre for those reasons. If people played Silent Hill for variety in gameplay they would be sorely dissapointed and rating it 3/10. So why downrate Alan Wake for having the same genre faults?

Alot of reviewers have happily reviewed the game for what it is, and for the type of people who will buy the game. Not reviewing a Phsych/horror game for say a FPS crowd.

Around the Network
flacomeza said:
selnor said:

Whats the point?

Rant over.

We don't need to play the game to know its better than a 7/10.

tuscaniman said:
flacomeza said:
selnor said:

Whats the point?

Rant over.

We don't need to play the game to know its better than a 7/10.

All I am saying, its that first play the game, and then make a full opinion.

Anyway, I think you do need to play it to know its better than x/10.

i remember the movie Pearl Harbor...the trailers were absolutely amazing, I mean, a lot of people were hyped because of the trailers and budget and stuff, but as soon as the movie launched, it was called a bad movie. I was hyped about the trailer, I thought it was a 9/10 or more...but in reality...it was more of a 5/10.

Just bought the limited edition.
It is a great (big) package for only 5 euros more.

Evan Wells (Uncharted 2): I think the differences that you see between any two games has much more to do with the developer than whether it’s on the Xbox or PS3.

My limited edition has shipped from amazon so I have already supported Alan Wake by giving Remedy my money.