By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Iwata explains why Japanese love 2D and not so much 3D

Games4Fun said:
Because 2D platformers are better than 3D

Exactly! And at first I though Mario Galaxy would be just as good but just didn't work out for me.

2D Platformer > 3D Platformer (With the exception of Ratchet and Clank)

Around the Network

that makes not sense, so they don't buy games because you can easily get lost?

eh? arnt final fantasy and dragon quest both in 3d. last i checked there pretty populare in japan :P

There's also a question of precision, or lack thereof, something I don't see talked about much when weighing the benefits of 2D versus 3D and, in my opinion, is probably the root cause at issue. (In other words, depth perception isn't really much of an issue in an xy world whereas it can be, depending on the person, quite cumbersome/difficult to gauge in an xyz world.)

exindguy said:
There's also a question of precision, or lack thereof, something I don't see talked about much when weighing the benefits of 2D versus 3D and, in my opinion, is probably the root cause at issue. (In other words, depth perception isn't really much of an issue in an xy world whereas it can be, depending on the person, quite cumbersome/difficult to gauge in an xyz world.)

Oh, hell yeah. So many problems, from missing jumps, to missing melee attacks. I think Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days is awesome, but getting the "Don't Miss" challenges is a pain since no depth perception means I can't tell if my keyblade is close enough to hit or not.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

Around the Network
FantasySky said:
eh? arnt final fantasy and dragon quest both in 3d. last i checked there pretty populare in japan :P

and that is the same as a platformer in 3D how? They play completely different. I like my JRPGS in 3D but prefer 2D for platfomers.

3d Mario is not 2d Mario. They are two different kinds of games. Nintendo thinks they can smush around the 3d formula until it sells like the classic franchise, but it's just not going to happen.

2d Mario is fast and fun, easy to get into, and full of action and bouncing around.

3d Mario has been slow and cumbersome with the controls and camera, more puzzle-based, and just less fun in general.

I like 3d Mario, but it will never be an equal to 2d Mario in my eyes. Nintendo needs to realize that it's OKAY to make more 2d Mario games. I think with NSMB Wii, they've might have finally understood this.

I dont know about this. I mean i was confused as hell when left was right and forward was backwards when running underneath planets, ofcourse that was one of the pleasures of playing SMG, the confusion.

“When we make some new announcement and if there is no positive initial reaction from the market, I try to think of it as a good sign because that can be interpreted as people reacting to something groundbreaking. ...if the employees were always minding themselves to do whatever the market is requiring at any moment, and if they were always focusing on something we can sell right now for the short term, it would be very limiting. We are trying to think outside the box.” - Satoru Iwata - This is why corporate multinationals will never truly understand, or risk doing, what Nintendo does.

3D Mario still lacks the feeling of the Mushroom kingdom the 2D series has. Sunshine and Galaxy has nothing related to the mushroom kingdom whatsoever. The only one that has gotten close was Super Mario 64

If I lived in Tokyo, I'd be afraid of getting lost, too.

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.