By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - First LittleBigPlanet 2 images! (And more details)

scottie said:
Rainbird said:
scottie said:

- It's just not a great platformer.

How so? I'm not trying to seem ignorant or anything, I just want to know exactly how it wasn't a great platformer, as I thought it was great.

I thought it was an alright platformer, maybe even a good one. but I did not find it to be a great one.

First of all, the floatiness that has been mentioned above.

I felt that the 3, 2 dimensional planes idea either needed to be eliminated or user more effectively. I never encountered any instance of it being used well, and many times found it annoying. Comparing it to the similar effect in Super paper mario, it just is bad. Alas, it is going to be in the 2nd game :(

I felt that we were forced into playing multiplayer in order to get all the collectibles. This is not a problem for me personally, 95% of my playtime for this game is multiplayer, but it should still be criticised imo. Comparing it to NSMB, where 100% completition is possible in single player, as well as multiplayer, I think it detracts from the game.

I disliked the shared lives system - feeling that it engendered ill feelings towards those jerks who stole my lives :P - it is not a very good game to play with people who aren't good at games. This is pretty much contrary to all good multiplayer platformers - most notably Sonic the hedgehog 2 and SMG (2nd player is there as an assistant) and NSMB (a bad player can get into a bubble to avoid bits they cant pass).

And quite simply, I just didn't find the level design to be up to be as good as those platformers that I would describe as great.

Also, I hate that this post involves a lot more negative comments than positive ones (but you did ask) so I shall finish it by reiterating that the platforming was alright verging on good, but the other aspects of this game made it great. I still feel, however, that MM should put more effort into improving the pure platforming elements of the game, and less into improving things that are already leagues ahead of anything else.

I thought the MGS levels made superb use of the 3 plane system, did you ever play them? With lasers and more complicated enemies I can only imagine it getting better. 

Shared life system does suck.  I was hoping they would patch the game to include infinite portals everywhere.  

I thought at boom town and on the level design was pretty awesome.  Really slow all throughout the Euro stages and Africa and half of Latin American stages. 

Around the Network
nitekrawler1285 said:
scottie said:
Rainbird said:
scottie said:

I thought it was an alright platformer, maybe even a good one. but I did not find it to be a great one.

I felt that the 3, 2 dimensional planes idea either needed to be eliminated or user more effectively. I never encountered any instance of it being used well, and many times found it annoying. Comparing it to the similar effect in Super paper mario, it just is bad. Alas, it is going to be in the 2nd game :(

I felt that we were forced into playing multiplayer in order to get all the collectibles. This is not a problem for me personally, 95% of my playtime for this game is multiplayer, but it should still be criticised imo. Comparing it to NSMB, where 100% completition is possible in single player, as well as multiplayer, I think it detracts from the game.

I disliked the shared lives system - feeling that it engendered ill feelings towards those jerks who stole my lives :P - it is not a very good game to play with people who aren't good at games. This is pretty much contrary to all good multiplayer platformers - most notably Sonic the hedgehog 2 and SMG (2nd player is there as an assistant) and NSMB (a bad player can get into a bubble to avoid bits they cant pass).

And quite simply, I just didn't find the level design to be up to be as good as those platformers that I would describe as great.

Also, I hate that this post involves a lot more negative comments than positive ones (but you did ask) so I shall finish it by reiterating that the platforming was alright verging on good, but the other aspects of this game made it great. I still feel, however, that MM should put more effort into improving the pure platforming elements of the game, and less into improving things that are already leagues ahead of anything else.

I thought the MGS levels made superb use of the 3 plane system, did you ever play them? With lasers and more complicated enemies I can only imagine it getting better. 

Shared life system does suck.  I was hoping they would patch the game to include infinite portals everywhere.  

I thought at boom town and on the level design was pretty awesome.  Really slow all throughout the Euro stages and Africa and half of Latin American stages. 

No, I never got the MGS dlc. And with the sequel coming I don't see the point of getting it now

@ rainbird - you dont have to share my opinion of course

Seraphic_Sixaxis said:

what in the hell? that rumour on gamespot was true?! ... after all the money i put into LBP1's DLC theres no way im laying down another $150.

"- All DLC from LBP1 transfers over to LBP2. Including downloaded content packs, costumes, etc."

^^.

Also!

That's 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 SACKBOYS!!! (or maybe they're dolls or something. Not quite sure...)

8 Player online confirmed? xDD.

scottie said:
nitekrawler1285 said:
scottie said:
Rainbird said:
scottie said:

No, I never got the MGS dlc. And with the sequel coming I don't see the point of getting it now

To experience some very funny content and a very new gameplay style for a good game you own.  While I don't play MGS games myself I have watched enough people play and am familiar enough that it was rather hilarious for me.  the 3 layers really help them imitate stealth style gameplay well.  The lasers and paintinator really give it a more action feel as well.  I'm not a big fan of DLC in general but I was surprised at how much that pack added to LBP gameplay wise and thusly wasn't disappointed by my purchase.

@ Aldro

"- A disco scene was set up by Media Molecule and two employees recorded together on a single Sackbot. They moved its arms and bobbed its head in a dancing routine. JUST the AI was copied and pasted onto twenty different Sackbots. Each Sackbot was given its own unique look."

I don't think 8 player is confirmed

@nitekrawler - cool, and dlc carries over to LBP2. Hmm, might get it then

Around the Network
Seraphic_Sixaxis said:

what in the hell? that rumour on gamespot was true?! ... after all the money i put into LBP1's DLC theres no way im laying down another $150.

your bought stuff is going to be transfered to the new game.

I live for the burn...and the sting of pleasure...
I live for the sword, the steel, and the gun...

- Wasteland - The Mission.

scottie said:

Whew, that's a relief.

Rainbird said:
scottie said:

Whew, that's a relief.

Haha, so I would imagine :P

Aldro said:
Seraphic_Sixaxis said:

"- All DLC from LBP1 transfers over to LBP2. Including downloaded content packs, costumes, etc."

^^.

Also!

That's 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 SACKBOYS!!! (or maybe they're dolls or something. Not quite sure...)

8 Player online confirmed? xDD.

I hope we get a higher rez version of that screenshot tomorrow!  It's perfect avatar material.

Jaos said:
NoCtiS_NoX said:
Media Molecule implies that the floaty controls are “signature gameplay” of LBP1.

I like this part. Really hate it when some gamers bash it for that. Instead of embracing it and accept it as it is. They complain about the it. It's broken, It nothing like Mario or whatever and etc.
It's been the case this gen. It should be like game A or game B.

Did it occur to you that to some people these floaty controls might just not be fun in a platforming game? I was quite hyped for LBP1, but when I tried it at gamescom it just didn't feel right to me. That has got nothing to do with bashing.

Notice that I said some I didn't generalize. I know that everybody will not like LBP just like not everyone will like every game.

That's why I followed it with they are comparing it with other games. That's was my rant all about. Just look at post below you. Got nothing against his post because it's well written. My only gripe is he is comparing it with other games.

Well just look at reasonable's post he explained it very well.