By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - ModNation Racers will be better than that Nintendo racer

I just don't see it being a clone. Yes it's of the same subgenre but I think there are more differences than similarities if we're looking at them both as Kart racers.

The physics based racing means the karts control differently (which has been a sore point in some reviews so I guess they should have just copied Mario Kart)

It has systems for rewarding good driving that allow you to block incoming attacks (putting up a shield) as well as boosting like in Burnout

You can upgrade weapons by holding on to them and getting higher levels

It isn't a kart racer designed to be in the "Sony Universe" and only has a few Sony characters as preorder DLC

It has an actual story mode beyond "race in the cups and stand on a platform at the end"

And of course the elephant in the room, the massive amount of customization that is in no way possible on any Mario Kart ever.

I agree that 3DDGH is a clone of the old 2D Zeldas, but if you think MNR is a Mario Kart clone I think you have too liberal a definition of the term.

Around the Network

Nothing beats Nintendo...Nothing!

The Official 'The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword' Thread (Updated):
http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=134508&page=1
amp316 said:

Yep.  It's true.  It's time that I, as a Nintendo fan, swallow my pride and give ModNation Racers the credit that it so richly deserves.  I will look at both games and show you why ModNation Racers will come out on top.

Load time: Nintendo Racers?

I suggest people actually play and review and get some gameplay out.  Or, would you like to a write a 10/10 review for this game for Goes-to-11 before you actually play it in depth?

@Dr.A.Peter.Nintendo

just out of curiosity, where you saying that last gen????

Torillian said:
@Zen and Twist

I'm curious, at what point does Kart Racing become a subgenre instead of every game that comes out with Karts being a ripoff of Mario Kart?

I mean you guys recognize TPS as a subgenre right? And don't call every one of those an RE4 clone.

Shadows of the Empire clones more like

Around the Network
senseinobaka said:
Lol, great OP.

Anyway...i feel like adding my two cents on some of the discussions here:

1)I believe MNR will be the second best Kart Racer of the generation....the first will remain MKDS. MNR will be miles better than MKWii.

2)Kart racers are a sub genre popularized by Nintendo. Sony us not ripping Nintendo off they are simply competing in a sub genre where Nintendo reigns supreme. I think that's a good thing because now Nintendo cant get away with a bare bones release like MKWii in the future.

3)Amp pwn'd Zen

Your belief is yours, mine is:

MKWii >>> MK:DD >>>>>> Brain Training > MKDS >>>>>>>>>> MK64.

I can'tsay where modnation racers would fit as I haven't played it, and can't determine how good it is from videos and screenshots... my guess would be if they fixed the loading times about the same as Double Dash, (15 seconds is a long loading time, 30 seconds is really bad) which is pretty awesome.

Torillian said:
@Zen and Twist

I'm curious, at what point does Kart Racing become a subgenre instead of every game that comes out with Karts being a ripoff of Mario Kart?

I mean you guys recognize TPS as a subgenre right? And don't call every one of those an RE4 clone.

I myself see "kart racing" as a "sub-genre" but everyone sees different genres in different ways.... personally I don't even think FPS or TPS are genres of games at all, they are 2 different play mechanics for action games.

Kart racing could be a sub-sub-sub-genre if you like: Sports>Racing>Arcade>Kart

richardhutnik said:
amp316 said:

Yep.  It's true.  It's time that I, as a Nintendo fan, swallow my pride and give ModNation Racers the credit that it so richly deserves.  I will look at both games and show you why ModNation Racers will come out on top.

Load time: Nintendo Racers?

I suggest people actually play and review and get some gameplay out.  Or, would you like to a write a 10/10 review for this game for Goes-to-11 before you actually play it in depth?

Yes.

Load time:  That Nintendo Racer

I have to be fair and give it an advantage here.  Early impressions of ModNation Racers indicate that if you were to start on page one in the Bible, you could read up to the middle of Exodus by the time the race loads up.

It goes up to 11 man!!!

Proud member of the SONIC SUPPORT SQUAD

Tag "Sorry man. Someone pissed in my Wheaties."

"There are like ten games a year that sell over a million units."  High Voltage CEO -  Eric Nofsinger

ZenfoldorVGI said:

I read the whole post!

Flattery will get you nowhere - but don't stop trying.

Miss Moneypenny